New here from Michigan, just had a few questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

kevin25
Noob
Noob

New here from Michigan, just had a few questions

Post by kevin25 »

Hey guys I am from Roseville Mi, I found this website and i am amazed to see how many working spree's and aero 50's there are out there. I had one as kid and would love to maybe own one again. I currently own a couple of Baja Doodle bug minibikes that are a blast to ride around in, one of them has a 6.5hp engine in it that scoots me around pretty good. My question is how are you guys traveling around, I mean, the maine roads are like 40-50mph and I remember my spree only did 30mph?
Also does any one know where I can look at some used or new spree's, elite's or areo's? I am curious to find out how much one is going to cost now a day's. I been checking craigslist every now and then.

Thanks
lipskid
BMX
BMX

Post by lipskid »

I buzz all over the place on the main roads. I have an Elite 50s and a few sprees. I try not to do main roads on the Sprees during rush hours cuz people are crazy and can't see ya as good. The "TKS" gang rides in packs on main roads day and night and have no problems(people fear us). Also, cutting through the neighborhoods is a blast and we have all kinds of short cuts. Just follow the same rules you would if driving and you'll be fine. On the Elite 50S, I ride all main roads all the time and keep right up with traffic. If they didn't want me to ride on it they shouldn't have paved it.
"THE KILLING SPREES"...better than Fight Club
kevin25
Noob
Noob

Post by kevin25 »

lipskid wrote:I buzz all over the place on the main roads. I have an Elite 50s and a few sprees. I try not to do main roads on the Sprees during rush hours cuz people are crazy and can't see ya as good. The "TKS" gang rides in packs on main roads day and night and have no problems(people fear us). Also, cutting through the neighborhoods is a blast and we have all kinds of short cuts. Just follow the same rules you would if driving and you'll be fine. On the Elite 50S, I ride all main roads all the time and keep right up with traffic. If they didn't want me to ride on it they shouldn't have paved it.
I pretty much blast around side streets on my minibike which is fun because I can go offroad as well when I see a park.
Yeah I pretty much was thinking that is all I can do what you had said, I mainly just want one to just cruse around side streets and stuff. I see a couple now on craigs list and I need some help finding one, I do not no what cost should be for one. I also already have a motorcycle license so that isnt an issue if I need one. Also are the honda ruckus or elite 80 even worth looking at brand new for around $2k?
Here are a couple I have been looking at
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/810631873.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/809963019.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/809412685.html
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Stay away from anything larger than a 50, in MI its treated as a motorcycle if its over 50 (even though a lot of people run 72cc bore kits on bikes registered as 50s). Try and find a 1994-2001 elite, $100 in parts will make one hit 45-50.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

This one is for sale by one of the members here. He also has a blue one for sale.

http://hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6860
kevin25
Noob
Noob

Post by kevin25 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Stay away from anything larger than a 50, in MI its treated as a motorcycle if its over 50 (even though a lot of people run 72cc bore kits on bikes registered as 50s). Try and find a 1994-2001 elite, $100 in parts will make one hit 45-50.
Are they treating motocycles differently to the 50cc? How differently, I am not quit understanding.
Also I would love to find a elite 50, they are just to hard to find right now, but I am still looking
Last edited by kevin25 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin25
Noob
Noob

Post by kevin25 »

ALOW1 wrote:
This one is for sale by one of the members here. He also has a blue one for sale.

http://hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6860
Thanks, I saw what he has and looks to be a bit on the high side, this one has lower miles and looks in great shape. Unless you see something I dont?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/810631873.html
Thanks
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

kevin25 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:Stay away from anything larger than a 50, in MI its treated as a motorcycle if its over 50 (even though a lot of people run 72cc bore kits on bikes registered as 50s). Try and find a 1994-2001 elite, $100 in parts will make one hit 45-50.
Are they treating motocycles differently to the 50cc? How differently, I am not quit understanding.
Also I would love to find a elite 50, they are just to hard to find right now, but I am still looking
A 50cc in Michigan is treated VERY differently compared to a motorcycle.

A 50cc is a moped $15 3 year registration sticker and a drivers license or moped license. Anything larger is a motorcycle, plates, insurance, and motorcycle endorsement is required.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
kevin25
Noob
Noob

Post by kevin25 »

Ok, I gotcha, more money if it is a motorcycle, renew plates every year and insurance would be higher I suppose. If I get a moped all I would need probably is liability unsurance?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

In Michigan you dont need insurance(what the * are you liable to hit?). Just a regular drivers license and that $15 3 year sticker.
kevin25
Noob
Noob

Post by kevin25 »

cool thanks, I am now in the hunt for a honda spree or elite
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Elite>spree everything is better.