Iowa Moped Law

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

me4get
BMX
BMX

Iowa Moped Law

Post by me4get »

Iowa Moped Laws
Bicycle Definition

A bicycle is classified as one of the following:
(1) A device having two wheels and having at least one saddle or seat for the use of a rider, which is propelled by human power.
(2) A device having two or three wheels with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (one horsepower), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden, is less than 20 miles per hour.

New Moped Definition

A "motorized bicycle," or moped, is motor vehicle having a saddle or a seat for the use of a rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and not capable of operating at a speed in excess of 30 miles per hour on level ground unassisted by human power. The maximum speed of 30mph needs to be printed on the certificate of origin from the manufacturer.

The new definition for a moped written above replaces the reference to "an engine having a displacement of no greater than 50c.c." The change in the definition allows electric motors or electric engines to be used as a source for moped propulsion.

Additionally, for a moped to be classified as a motor vehicle, it must be able to travel at a speed of atleast 20mph while driving up a 3 percent grade. If a vehicle cannot go 20mph up a 3 percent grade, it is not permitted to be operated on Iowa's streets and roadways

Moped Licensing

Any person with an adult operator's license, chaufferur license, commercial driver's license or an intermediate license may operate a moped. No motorcycle license is required. If someone does not have an adult operator's license, they are still allowed to drive a moped if they fall into one of the categories below.
# Adults (age 18 and older) who do not have a driver's license must be issued a moped permit. The standard operator's knowledge examination and a vision screening are required. Skills testing may be required at the discretion of the driver├óÔé¼Ôäós licensing examiner
# Persons age 16 through 17 who do not have at least an intermediate license must be issued a moped permit, under the same conditions as listed in the previous paragraph.
# Persons age 14 through 15 must be issued a moped permit, but must first complete a moped rider education course approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation. The standard operator's knowledge examination and a vision screening are required. Skills testing may be required at the discretion of the DOT examiner.

Moped traffic laws

# Helmets are not required to operate a moped or motorcycle
# Passengers are not allowed on any mopeds.
# A moped must be equipped with a safety flag that extends not less than 5 feet above the ground attached to the rear of the moped. The safety flag must be triangular in shape, with an area of not less than 30 square inches, and be Day-Glo in color.
# Mopeds may not be operated side by side in the same traffic lane.
# Mopeds must not be operated between lanes of traffic, adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.
# Mopeds must have a lighted headlamp at all times when operated on a public street or roadway.
# Moped operators must not carry a package, bundle or other article that prevents the operator from keeping both hands on the handlebars.

Moped Registration

To register any motor vehicle in Iowa, you must have the Manufacturer's certification label on your vehicle stating that the it meets federal moter vehicle safety standard. Without a manufacturer's certification label, vehicles cannot be titled or registered.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Sorry its off topic but where in NW Iowa are you at?
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

you need the certificate of origin from the manufacturer? jeez, good luck getting a used, hand-down or vintage moped registered
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

adark248 wrote:you need the certificate of origin from the manufacturer? jeez, good luck getting a used, hand-down or vintage moped registered
You can register mopeds where you are at without having titles? If so why are you trying to get a title for your Aero?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I believe this is how it works in WA, but probably same in Iowa

The certificate of origin is what the manufacture provides with a new untitled motor vehicle. Having this and a dealer signed bill of sale is enough to title the bike for the first time. Once titled, the title contains the classification of whether or not it is a moped. Subsequent transfers to other owners only require the title.

---
P.S. - me4get - Does Iowa enforce that 5 ft day glow flag rule? I don't think there's any other state that requires a flag!
me4get
BMX
BMX

Post by me4get »

ALOW1 wrote:Sorry its off topic but where in NW Iowa are you at?
85 miles from Sioux City, roughly 25 mile south of MN and about 80 Miles Eat of Sioux Falls
me4get
BMX
BMX

Post by me4get »

mousewheels wrote:I believe this is how it works in WA, but probably same in Iowa

The certificate of origin is what the manufacture provides with a new untitled motor vehicle. Having this and a dealer signed bill of sale is enough to title the bike for the first time. Once titled, the title contains the classification of whether or not it is a moped. Subsequent transfers to other owners only require the title.

---
P.S. - me4get - Does Iowa enforce that 5 ft day glow flag rule? I don't think there's any other state that requires a flag!
I haven't seen anyone enforcing the Flag rule, but I've seen many riding without one.
DJPhatman

Post by DJPhatman »

mousewheels wrote:P.S. - me4get - Does Iowa enforce that 5 ft day glow flag rule? I don't think there's any other state that requires a flag!
I know for a fact that Kentucky has the flag law, and they super-enforce it! :shock:
I went down to Louisville a couple weeks ago to pick up a "87 SE50P that I won on E-bay. Only 2 requirements in KY = You MUST be 14 or older, and you must have a Day-Glo flag on your moped. No registration, license, nothing. but, if you break a requirement, you lose the moped! :shock: They take it on the spot, and you forfeit ownership. :roll:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

DJPhatman wrote:
mousewheels wrote:P.S. - me4get - Does Iowa enforce that 5 ft day glow flag rule? I don't think there's any other state that requires a flag!
I know for a fact that Kentucky has the flag law, and they super-enforce it! :shock:
I went down to Louisville a couple weeks ago to pick up a "87 SE50P that I won on E-bay. Only 2 requirements in KY = You MUST be 14 or older, and you must have a Day-Glo flag on your moped. No registration, license, nothing. but, if you break a requirement, you lose the moped! :shock: They take it on the spot, and you forfeit ownership. :roll:
That would be unconstitutional as *. There is no due process at all, so they can't just take the bike without a trial to find you guilty. Then they can make you forfeit the bike. But being stopped or even arrested does not make you guilty in this country.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
DJPhatman

Post by DJPhatman »

You forfeit the bike, because the towing and storage costs more than the bike is worth.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

DJPhatman wrote:You forfeit the bike, because the towing and storage costs more than the bike is worth.
Again the d*** cops can't take the bike anymore than they can take your car for speeding, until your day in court at least. If they arrest you and take you away, then they can tow. No detention and arrest, then jail, then they can't tow the frickin' thing if you are capable of driving it. Have you never heard of due process? :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
EliteS120ccJDM
Spree
Spree

Post by EliteS120ccJDM »

Is that law also in P.A???that u can register with out a *???please let me now!! :D