Older Newbie with a New-to-Me 1985 Aero

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Older Newbie with a New-to-Me 1985 Aero

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have inherited a 1985 Aero which will serve as my 'round-town winter commuter scooter. With a stock top speed of around 25-35(?), I have some concerns about traffic, even on the side streets I intend to travel. I have read about these bikes extensively here and elsewhere but still have some questions.

1. Nomenclature - Spree, Aero, Elite, Dio - Is there a place/website where I can sort out Honda's many names and their significance?

2. Performance upgrade suggestions welcome. I have a broad scope of knowledge of 4-stroke assembly - rebuilt top end on an XS 750 Yamaha triple back in the 80s (twice! - but I learned from my mistakes... :oops: ), and currently own an XL 1200S Sportster. However in my current location I'm limited in shop space (Outside apartment parking...) and tools - tho' I live very near a Harbor Freight outlet - and can buy whatever I may need.

3. Displacement: I have read about 65-70 cc bore kits from Malossi, Polini, DR Racing, but have found no current retail sources. I believe I can install such a top-end kit and tune the carb and drivetrain around it if I can only find a retailer or a private owner with such a kit for sale.

All input welcome.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

A ~65cc and a pulley kit will get you to 40-45 with very aggressive (power wheelie) acceleration. When running a bore kit you will need to disable the oil pump by grinding off the gear teeth and capping all the oil related ports. run 25:1 premix. The carb will also need to be rejetted. you are looking for a bore kit designed for a pre 1994 elite, commonly referred to as that "SE50 motor" because that the most common model with this motor. Total cost for all of above will be around $200. parts come from Hawaii for them ost part. CALL VTcycles http://www.vtcycles.com/ they are very knowledgeable and will get you a good deal.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

1. The spree was the slowest of them all. No performance parts can be bought.
The Aero was the step up, They where slightly faster, and some company's sell performance parts.
The elite is the god when it comes to hondas. 88-93 had the same motor as the aero, but the 94+ has a motor that is amazing. They can be heavily modded to go as fast as 90+mph.

2. Your Aero should be going at least 35mph stock. There might be some restrictions holding you back. If you wanted too you could get a 63cc bore kit, a pulley kit, some rollers and jets. Tune it up to get like 45mph.

3. VTCycles.
Coolest people in the scooter tuning world. There website is not set up all the way, and i dont know if it ever will be. You really have to call them and talk to them. (808) 593-7733. There in hawaii so make sure you call according to there time.

VT is super friendly, if you call them and talk to them they will help you out. They also are very realistic. They will not try and sell you stuff you dont need. They care more about happy customers then how many sales they get. You can trust them.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:A ~65cc and a pulley kit will get you to 40-45 with very aggressive (power wheelie) acceleration. When running a bore kit you will need to disable the oil pump by grinding off the gear teeth and capping all the oil related ports. run 25:1 premix. The carb will also need to be rejetted. you are looking for a bore kit designed for a pre 1994 elite, commonly referred to as that "SE50 motor" because that the most common model with this motor. Total cost for all of above will be around $200. parts come from Hawaii for them ost part. CALL VTcycles http://www.vtcycles.com/ they are very knowledgeable and will get you a good deal.
Wrong, the stock injector is FINE!
Keep the stock oil injector and when filling up just add like 1/3 to 1 ounce of oil in the gas.

You will need to upjett.

And, if you do decided to switch to premix, do your self a favor and ask VT cycles what to premix at. Kenny and i have a disagreement on how much oil to mix in. Instead of starting a discussion in this topic i will only say ask VTCycles what they think. :wink:
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Considering it injects rather conservatively for a 50cc I would rather just do away with it and have full control over oil.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Re: Older Newbie with a New-to-Me 1985 Aero

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thank you for the warm welcome and informative replies. I Had a look in VTC and found the 63cc kit. It would be no surprise that on a 23-year-old bike it is the only aftermarket kit still available. Still, are there any other choices still out there?

There is no better path to global upheaval than to start a dreaded "Oil Thread". Harley-Davidson discussion groups have been known to become downright hostile, if not violent. :shock: I will therefore keep my opinions to myself and follow my own counsel on this hot topic, but still a question arises:

On the last 2-Stroke I owned - a 1974 90cc rotary-valved Kawaskaki - the oil pump was cable-controlled and throttle-dependent. It was also adjustable over a limited range. Not so the Honda 50? I will examine the Service Manual for more info, but nothing beats the hands-on experience of this Collective.

Lastly, can anyone point me to info on the 1994 Elite engine and the differences between it and the previous Elites' and Aeros' powerplants?

Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH