Oil Pump Anatomy

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Oil Pump Anatomy

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Scooterwerx said he'd "fudged" his pump attempting to disassemble/inspect it. (Despite Honda-san's stern warning "do not attempt to dismantle.... said pump.) What did you learn? Has anyone else tried to do this, and what did you discover? The Service Manual is no help at all. Honda engineers probably figured the less we knew, the better...

How long does/did a tankful of oil last on average, in relation to tankfuls of fuel? That would give me some idea of what Honda's 2-Stroke mavens believed was the ideal fuel/oil mixture ratio.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The oil pump is clever piece of engineering. I took apart a non-variable pump last year, and its been sitting in a bag as 'spare parts'. So tonight, out came the bag for a photo.

--- How it works ---
The entire cross shaft oscillates. At the left end of the cross shaft is a cam. On this pump, the cam bears on a little steel pin in the pump housing. The metering piston stays fixed against the steel end cap by the spring. There's 2 oil ports internal to the shaft bore that the rotary valve operates as it turns.

The entire rotating/oscillating shaft gives the pump and intake an exhaust stroke once per revolution of the cross shaft. But with that worm drive its much reduced from the engine revolutions.

I recall from past threads, the oil pump is around 40:1 to 50:1, with adjustable types going up to 80:1-100:1 at idle. But don't go on my memory - do the search!

Last edited by mousewheels on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Pump Anatomy

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice job! Thanks!
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

the oil tank lasts for a long time...depending on how much riding you do couple months probably. i filled mine once, rode it for about a month and a half then killed the pump and went premix.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So nearly impossible to calculate the volume of that oil squirt from the tiny piston, and even more uncertainty due to the unknown gear ratios from crank to cross shaft and worm-drive to cam. Wow! Honda-san keeps his secrets.!

And last, the squirt of oil is deposited as a droplet of unknown volume into the air intake near the reeds, there to be aspirated with the incoming mixture stream from the carb? What a way to run a railroad. Curiously effective nonetheless.
Wheelman-111
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

So nearly impossible to calculate the volume of that oil squirt from the tiny piston, and even more uncertainty due to the unknown gear ratios from crank to cross shaft and worm-drive to cam. Wow! Honda-san keeps his secrets.!
Direct way is to measure consumption.

Substitute the fuel and oil lines, prime the lines, then attach a container with 100ml of gas, and use a disposable syringe (5-10cc) filled to an appropriate starting point for the oil side. Start it up and drive flat out (under 2mi at 70mpg) until the gas down to the bottom of the container, and measure the level left in the syringe.
Last edited by mousewheels on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Or just remove the pump and use a drill motor (the drill will have an rpm rating) to run the pump and measure the results. Then calculate for any rpm you like. I however would use oil and not gas as the oil is what lubes the pump when it is running and is much denser than gas and won't explode if it gets hot from being pumped.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

did you know there is a filter screen at the oil tank exit which biulds up bacteria, now you no bra cuz if it don't flo from the tank da pump no can pump- shoots you gettm now :wink:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I think that the oil consumption for the engine as a function of RPM is listed in the service manual for the scoot.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Wheelman-111

Manual Specifies Oil Consumption

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have a paper copy of Honda-san's 85-'87 Aero Service Manual. I have found no reference to oil consumption therein.
Wheelman-111