my d*** spree keeps dying!!!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

xsk3l3t0rx
BMX
BMX

my d*** spree keeps dying!!!

Post by xsk3l3t0rx »

so i have a brand new air filter, new spark plug, new battery, fresh gas/oil. my bike will run fine and then every once in a while it will just start to lose power, then just totally shut off. it will go from absolutely fine, and then within 5 seconds the bike has shut down and i am simply rolling. getting the bike to start again takes like 5 minutes. i keep my bike in good condition, the air screw is 1 3/8 turns out, idle is set so that it is just low enough where i can stop the back wheel with my pinky finger. i should mention my bike is an 87 spree. i cannot possibly fathom how much more crap i have to do to fix this bike. the only thing i can think of is possibly a carb cleaning cuz thats the only thing left that i havent done. but the PO did do a carb clean just a few months ago. i have an inline fuel filter that cleans the gas, so it cant be that dirty can it? someone help me, dac or noiseguy im winking to you! i have a feeling this is a carb issue somehow, or a wiring issue.
1987 honda spree (red)
gibson sg standard (ebony)
vox ac30cc2
Wheelman-111

Carb Cleaning

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

There's no way to tell how good/poor a job the P.O. did on your carb. Gas is "clean" going through the filter but the carb (and its very tiny passages) can gum up from evaporation if it sits for a while. The volatile parts of the gasoline evaporate out leaving a coating of solids on the walls of the carb. In the jets those walls are pretty darned close together, so it doesn't take a lot of gum to shut down the hole. If it wasn't perfect to begin with, it won't take long to fail again. Pull it, clean it, see if it cures the problem. Sorry I'm not DAC or Noiseguy, but I have mucked with carbed 2-strokes for a long time.

HTH
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: my d*** spree keeps dying!!!

Post by CaptDan »

xsk3l3t0rx wrote: the bike to start again takes like 5 minutes.
I'll betcha your stuck float valve that's what it is. 8)

Disassemble carb, soak the sh*t out of it in a can of Gunk or similar brand carb cleaner. Reassemble float valve making sure it doesn't stick in its chamber. If in doubt, get a new float needle - probably a good idea anyway.

CaptDan
Twilight
BMX
BMX

Post by Twilight »

Get a can of spray carb cleaner, take it off the bike, and unscrew the jet and the float... and anything else you can! On the jet, remember how many turns, and also remember how many on all the other parts.

Okay now that you have it apart, look through the jet. Can you see through it? If not, then its clogged. Take a piece of small wire or sewing needle and stick it through. Then spray it with the cleaner. Now go wild and spray the innards of the carb, also spray a small bit in a cup and let the other parts sit for a while, then swirl it around after 30min or longer. When its all clean, re assemble the carb and try it out.

=)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Sounds like a classic ignition component dying when hot, cools for 5 minutes and works again until it reaches critical temp. Check for spark right after it dies with a spare spark plug.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree