Motorcycle: Scooter = Guitar: Ukelele

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Motorcycle: Scooter = Guitar: Ukelele

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Despite the inflammatory title, I wish to write in praise of my "new" Aero.

Y'see, whenever I decide to run an errand on the Sportster, it's a bit of an ordeal. Ya gotta pull out the vest with all the pins and patches, the tough-looking knuckle gloves, the Engineer boots, the goggles, get a new tattoo - it goes on and on. Seems like a lot of trouble just to hit the quickee mart to pick up some feminine hygiene product for the Spousal Unit.

To do the same on the Aero, just slip into my "dress" flip-flops and go! No need to worry what gear it's in, either. And the throttle has only two positions! There's even a couple compartments to stash my purchase out of sight!!

So I've heard it said that scooters aren't as cool, and have but one response: :arrow: Alooo-haaa-oeee! :idea:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You will think differently when you crash...
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Personal Protective Equipment

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dropped it a few times have we Kenny?

I was kidding about the flipflops. You kids at home, always ride with proper clothing and head protection! To do otherwise may result in serious personal injury or death. Or at least a really nasty road rash. Could get infected.

40 years with more power at my disposal than my skills warranted without a bad scrape. (Knocking wood now...) This 50cc scooter brought me back to the basic and casual fun of being on 2 wheels. And not being in a rush. :)
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

when i ride i just have on a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. (and a helmet of course).

i have crashed enough to know whats going on. But that dont stop me. Chicks dig scares. :lol:

Crashes are common with the group i ride with. When someone gets "Blood on the bike" its something we brag about. Last time that happen was a few mouths back when my friend and i where riding down this dirt road about midnight. he hit a few pot holes and end up jumping his 07 honda metropolitan like 3 feet in the air. He landed it but slide out and crashing. His bike flipped sideways then i slammed into his bike and crashed too. my elite was fine besides a few new scratches. His bike got fairly busted up.

We both where wearing nothing more then t-shirts and shorts. I got a few bruises but he really got cut up. The next morning when we could see the bikes clearly we found some blood on his front panel.

Crashes happen, but there is no need to live in fear.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Wheelman-111

Crashing

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Texas has a provision in its laws to procure a "helmet exemption" sticker for the license plate. Riders over 18 who have completed a rider's ed course or can prove solvency can apply the $5 sticker to the tag and ride lidless with impunity.

I have the sticker on my Sportster but almost always wear the skid lid. And the boots. And the armored jacket. And the gloves.

A friend - the guy who sold me the Aero, actually -fubared his knee hitting a truck at (maybe) 25 MPH, so I'm seriously considering armor for the legs too.

On the scooter? Same thing, only slower. Better not to crash, but dress for the slide, not the ride. Maybe don't outride your headlight at night. Chicks dig a functional reproductive anatomy too. Don't bust it up.
Wheelman-111
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Dac wrote:when i ride i just have on a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. (and a helmet of course).

i have crashed enough to know whats going on. But that dont stop me. Chicks dig scares. :lol:
Scares??????? It's scars if you're scared chicks will just laugh. Image

I thought the whole thing was;

"Pain is temporary,

Bones heal,

Chicks dig scars,

Glory is forever!"

At least that was the plaque I got when I hit the deer on my big Honda and was still hospitalized.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Deepinnaharta Deer

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Until a couple of years ago, one of the glossy bike magazines featured a monthly article by a Master Rider Trainer about Safe(r) Motorcycling. Can't recall his name right now, Gordon, something. This guy taught the teachers in Rider's Ed. He had thought through about every possible safety-sensitive situation and written a page on it every month.

One night he was booking time heading back from California to the east coast on his ST-1100. (Closest thing to a scooter in the MC world...) He was probably out-riding his illumination somewhere out in West Texas, and came upon Bambi crossing the highway.

He died at the scene. This happened to a guy whose whole career and life was about bike safety. Not much you can do about deer if you're going too fast to see/avoid them.

Sad you lost a lot, Bear. Glad you didn't lose everything.
Wheelman-111
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Never dropped it on the road BUT came d*** close during a death wobble.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
TURN1
Spree
Spree

Post by TURN1 »

I wear my helmet EVERYTIME I get on my sportbike. Only used my helmet on the yearly moped cruise. Other than that I'm a squid on the moped. Slippahs, shorts, t-shirt, shades, that's it. Just cruz um. Farthest I've gone was from my house to Hawaii Kai via Diamond Head and Waikiki.

I know that helmets save lives. I've gone thru 8 helmets. 5 of them made it to the emergency room as a shelf dislpay serving as a reminder to others. I was lucky to survive all my big motorcycle crashes with one having to rehab for 3 months just to learn how to walk again.
Pass on the ALOHA Spirit!!!
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

ouch that sucks glad your alright though and yeah i wear helmet and gloves when cold otherwise only helmet no need to dress up usualy do a few laps around the block or go fisshing down the road .

and don't get lost without plate on scoot cops wont like you very much. scooter haters
SprEE*MP*
Spree
Spree

Post by SprEE*MP* »

the only protective gear i wear is a helmet #1. It's mandatory here #2. I've hit my head a few times WEARING a helmet, and boy I tell ya, if it wern't fer the helmet, i dont think i'd be here right now, and if I was, I sure wouldn't be doing much.

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET...........chicks dig scars.....but not dead guys
-1984 Spree,
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Totally agree on the guitar / ukulele. I had an air-cooled '82 CB900F along with the Spree. In the time it took to wait for the CB900F to warm up, I could scoot to where I was going and be done with it. The CB is gone, but I still have the Spree. Go figure.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
alvin
Noob
Noob

Post by alvin »

Always wear a helmet and I do play guitar and ukulele....(left handed) 8)
and did I mention I ride an 86' Spree with 1013 miles on it>
80 and 49cc bicycles............3 = 2

2 Lifan 150cc scoots

1 86 honda spree...

1 84 Honda Aero NB50m