How does 30 mph sound?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dgsoles
Spree
Spree

How does 30 mph sound?

Post by dgsoles »

Ok, I'm on the second tank of gas in my new ring and hone break-in. I hadn't brought the bike to full throttle yet, but, I thought that it was time the rings saw just a little more abuse (my oil pump works, and I'm also running a 50:1 premix in the gas, just so things stay lubed for the break-in). I had previously only brought the 1986 Spree I fixed up to only 24 mph on the first tank of gas. Well, it hit 30 mph without a whole lot of effort, I noticed that after 26 mph, the acceleration about cuts in half, I'm guessing I'm hitting the empty RPM's. I barely held it at 30 mph for more than 3 seconds, but it felt like I might have been able to squeeze one or two more mph out of it.....I guess I'll find out after it's been broken in all of the way.

I'm glad I got an '86 Spree, from what I've read, the '85 and below could barely hit 26.....

I'm still having some cold start issues, though. It may be related to trying to start the bike after it's been sitting for 14 hours in 20 degree and below temps. Does anyone have any ideas for a manual choke? I'm going to try to make one I can use once the body panels are back on (don't worry, I still have the fan shroud and the head shroud on it, I'd rather not overheat the engine).
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

They arent jetted for this sort of weather, wait till spring.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

The whole reason for getting the Spree was so I could use it to avoid paying for parking while going to college (LCC, either you pay to park on their ramp, or you pay to park on the city streets). They let you pull any scooters right up to the bike rack. It'll save me over $100 a month. So, I kind of need it to run in this weather, as school starts ext semester for me. It has a 65 main jet, perhaps I could upjet to a 68 and richen the idle-air screw a little? They even have a recommended spark plug for cold climates in the service manual I could try. Would this help? Also, once the bike is broken in, I won't be running nearly as much oil:fuel ratio, so it won't be running as lean.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Also, another question: If these bikes aren't jetted for this temp (which I know they're not), I'm guessing they were never meant to be run here in Michigan......our temperature swings sometimes as much as 40 degrees in one day. So, how would one compensate for this, riding when it's below freezing in the morning, and 50 degrees in the afternoon?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

dgsoles wrote:Also, another question: If these bikes aren't jetted for this temp (which I know they're not), I'm guessing they were never meant to be run here in Michigan......our temperature swings sometimes as much as 40 degrees in one day. So, how would one compensate for this, riding when it's below freezing in the morning, and 50 degrees in the afternoon?
You can install one of these.
http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Hmm...they don't make one for a Spree...were you being facetious?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

dgsoles wrote:Hmm...they don't make one for a Spree...were you being facetious?
* no, call them and they will come up with a kit for you. They did it for one of my quads.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

You can't mean that everybody who rides a scooter in winter has one of these, I see people at MSU riding Sprees right now, I doubt they did anything to them (most college kids I know don't even know the difference between 2 and 4 stroke).

Obviously, the product would help, but those of us that are cost-conscious, wouldn't simply rejetting a little richer work in the winter? I know a fair amount of members on this forum are from Michigan, and I don't think that they ALL stop riding in the winter.....unless I'm just crazy...I do enjoy a cool breeze.

I imagine Washington has about the same weather we do, do you stop riding?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Yea 68 main turn in airscrew half a turn, adjust the midrange needle a click richer. You should be good.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Ok, sorry to bother you guys yet again, but, does anyone know of a parts source for a 68 jet? Because I can get one from my Honda dealership, but, it's just shy of $11. Ouch....for a piece of brass. Thank you guys for your help and advice, as always. Seriously.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Oh, and a click richer means one click up, right? Mine's an '86, so it only has 3 positions, and middle is stock.
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

move clip one slot down, raising the needle
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Thank you, that could've been one costly mistake....
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

hmm that dial a jet does seem promising for race applications...

$75 for single cyl kit
projects galore :nerd:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

burnt_toast wrote:hmm that dial a jet does seem promising for race applications...

$75 for single cyl kit
I have them on both my quads. The are for adjustments for temperature and altitude changes.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree