Moped in the house, How do i avoid the smell?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Moped in the house, How do i avoid the smell?

Post by Dac »

Winter sucks, im going crazy sitting around my house with nothing to do. So i think im going to bring my moped in the house so i have something to tinker with.

However the people i live with are against me doing so because the smell of gas/oil/whatever.

My question is, how do i get rid of the smell before i bring it in the house?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

candles and insence. maybe some potpourri? industrial air freshener gets rid of truly awful smells...
Wheelman-111

Housebreaking a Tomos

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Ah, scooter repairs in the living room. This is a topic about which I've gained considerable experience of late.

Begin with an honest assessment of said housemates. If they are family, they will learn to tolerate your eccentricities. If they are friends, it will be a test of the level of commitment to that friendship. If one of them is your spouse, your undertaking will either take the relationship to the next level or end it.

Begin by draining the carb. You can disconnect the fuel supply or simply defeat the vacuum valve and start it until it runs dry. I would remove the fuel tank altogether and leave it outside or in the shed.

Then dip the scooter frame in a large tub of Febreze. :o
Happy tinkering!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

its family right now, but i might be moving soon to a friends. but in ether case i need a moped that dont stink.

The bike im really wanting to work on is my tomos. and there is no way to remove the gas tank on it since the tank is part of the frame.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

You could make it smell like a stack of clean towels and keep mice and bugs at bay with 'Bounce'!

----
Protect against Mice
Place steel wool in the muffler tailpipe, and use ├óÔé¼┼ôBounce├óÔé¼┬Ø fabric softener sheets - or mothballs in plastic cups - to ward off mice and other critters looking to use your car when you are not.

----
JERSEY; Woman, Bugged by Gnats, Vows Vengeance
By JOE SHARKEY

IN a house with a sweeping view of rural Hunterdon County, in a tiny subdivision off narrow roads where geese still demand the right of way, Gretchen Baldwin has actually appeared outside in a floppy hat with strips of Bounce fabric-softener sheets taped to the brim. "The sheets work," she said glumly the other day. "A lot of people use them. Not breathing outside also helps. But neither solution is very practical."
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

What????????
1991--------Tomos Targa-
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

What????????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Was just providing a 'cover' smell after you remove the tank and drain the carb. One that has some technical merits. Honest - Bounce has been in household tips for years! Watch out, that Bounce smell could linger on your scooter in the spring.... :oops:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I just do it in the basement FAR AWAY from the fire. People rarely notice and when they do they really dont care. Im the only person who goes in the basement for anything besides keeping the fire alive.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:I just do it in the basement FAR AWAY from the fire. People rarely notice and when they do they really dont care. Im the only person who goes in the basement for anything besides keeping the fire alive.
i dont have a basement or it would be down there.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

dig one
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i think it would be easier for me just to pull the bike in my room....
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

My dad tells a story of when he parked a 500cc I4 Honda street bike in his friends second story bedroom for the winter. And rode it out with mom home. He also dug the basement at his childhood home, most of it has held up for the last 40years.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i drained the tank, removed the carb, and the exhaust.
Then i removed the motor too. because i spilled some gas on it.

took it in the house....

At first, total success.
I sprayed a little air fresher stuff and i didnt smell anything.
A few people came in my room and said it didnt smell it all.
Awesome.

However, about 5 minutes later...
The smell hit. I might as well dumped gas on my carpet. It was unbelievably strong. I sprayed more and more of that air freshener but the smell was only getting worse. I hurried to find a way to stop the smell but it was only getting worse.
I hurried up and dragged the ped back outside. But now my hole house has a real strong gas smell.

Gas expands when it gets warm.
that moped went from 20* F to 75* F. I think at first it was fine. but as it got warmer, what ever gas was left in the tank expanded and came out the cap of the gas tank. Stinking up my hole house.

Well, that was a total fail for many reasons. but unlike most fails, i cant just go inside and lay down. Now my hole house smells like gas and its to d*** cold out to open a window. d***...
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Wheelman-111

Scrubbing Scooter Scent Scourge: Plans B Through D

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Now, what have we learned about volatility, Class?

Sorry you're going through this, especially since I was one of the ones who encouraged you to take Tomos inside. Always ready to make things right, I offer the following options:

Plan B: Tell the family you're wearing an exciting new fragrance; Eau de Spree. (Cue jingle: "By Mennen!")

Plan C: Your local grocer sells a product called Renuzit Roller Scents. They replace the regular roll holder, delivering a burst o' freshness at critical times. Available in "After the Rain" and "Fresh Breeze". Buy a 2-Pack for each member of the family. Insert one in each nostril.

Plan D: The absolute fastest way to eliminate pesky strong fuel vapors is to Strike a Match! :shock:

Good Luck!
Last edited by Wheelman-111 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Put contents of your shed under a tarp, come up with a heater. * a desk fan and a toaster over with the glass broke out of it would work(easy dumpster scores).