So here's what I'm thinkin...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

So here's what I'm thinkin...

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I think I told you all how I fired the SE50 the other night and was quite disappointed... Turns out, crank bearings AND rod bearings were bad, so when running it sounded like I had the parts in a blender. But otherwise ran so-so, I took it for a ride with all shrouds and fan (I don't have a fan'cover anyway) I took it down the street. It wasted no time getting to 15, then stuck there. I stopped, turned around, tried again. This time 18MPH, a s*** load of smoke, a little more power, then I pull back in the driveway...

BANG! Big flash out the tail pipe. Hasn't had much compression nor started since. I got the chance to tear off and tear down tonight. The piston is SCORED and GOUGED, cylinder has very light and hardly noticable scouring, and the piston is almost deformed. The reed valves had a huge gap (and it still ran, luckily). I can wiggle the rod almost 3/8 inch back and forth, needles were missing in the wristpin, and the rod itself was bent.

So, in short. The motor is TOAST. I made my eBay guy an offer of $60 plus shipping making it $120 (is $60 to ship a motor even fair) and if he takes the bait I'll have it by the end of the week.

UNLESS... Cal me crazy, but I'm waiting for a phone call back. My friend up town knows someone with a stolen 99 Elite S, I can get this for $100. It's perfect, tire to grip. Is the Dio hard to transplant where the SE50 was? If I can do the Dio just as easy, I'm going to get this motor instead.

Let me know. Long as nobody steals my deal, this is the engine I offered on.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0318483790
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Wheelman-111

Here's What Everyone Else Is Thinkin'

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here. Can you clarify?

Did you say
My friend up town knows someone with a stolen 99 Elite S, I can get this for $100.
And that you're considering installing this engine, which you know belongs to someone else, in your scooter?

It sounds to me, and perhaps to the Authorities if anyone on the Forum works in Law Enforcement, like you have no qualms about receiving and using stolen property to save a few bucks. It also sounds like you have no qualms about sharing your views and lack of a moral compass with everyone here, and all of cyberspace.

I suggest you put yourself in the place of the rightful owner of that Dio, then decide what's the right thing to do. Your bike, with all the mods and work you put into it, could be the one they steal next.

As I said, perhaps I misunderstood.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

yeah I'm with Wheelman on this :?
projects galore :nerd:
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

stolen s*** is never ok.....i hate bastards who steal. in china they chop off yo hand! d*** dirty thieves. that said, you sir, are in a moral dilemma.

chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

ditto. :x
~2004 Geely Fashion~
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

i got an 87 elite 50s crank,bearings,and rod.

20 bucks and its all pressed together.

like i said let me know
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Whats with the stolen scooter, is it:

A) Your friend bought it unknowingly and is trying to get some of his money back.

or

B) Your friend stole it himself and is trying to make a quick buck.

If its A) he should just try to return it to the original owner, and if its B) you should know to be careful about having "friends" like that. Either way you shouldn't buy it, ESPECIALLY knowing in advance its stolen.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Buying stolen s*** can make a soap on a rope a good investment.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
surefire1939
Noob
Noob

Post by surefire1939 »

To wikked-spree57 Anyone who steals something that belongs to someone else is scum of the earth. Anyone who buys stolen stuff knowing it is stolen is scum of the earth. Why do you think that you desreve this scooter when someone has worked hard for, going to work every day busting their a** off to make money to buy nice things. Just even thinking about doing it is imoral and you should be banned form this site. If you buy it it's the same as going out yourself and stealing it in my opinion. I bet your mother would be proud.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Just so you all know, it was a *friend of a friend* type of thing. The scooter was gone already anyways, so I blasted $150 on a stock 87 engine on eBay. Here's the proof:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0318483790

I'm the winner with 43 feedback ;)

Anyhow, the only reason I had considered the bike knowing it was stolen was because it had outdated out-of-state tags. Never would I want something that came from right around here, even just for parts.

And Wheelman, I agree that mine could be next. That's why even though I have a locking garage and what not, my scooter is still stored in my living room when it's not being ridden.

Anyways, I see people in here have their head screwed on straighter than I sometimes do. Problem is, stolen bikes are everywhere. And most of the time if they're unregistered, you don't know they're stolen till it's too late unless it was never reported.

But put your guns away, I didn't buy the stolen bike. Someone else did. So if we get a newcomer here bragging from the Mid-Michigan area about a low mileage black 99 Elite for under $100, there's the stolen scoot.

Thanks for looking out... I really didn't know to be honest people gave a s*** about stolen property anymore. I live smack dab in the middle of the Ghetto (Buena Vista township, I'm the only white guy in the neighborhood) so I'm sure you can understand why I leased an apartment on the other side of town.

But another update before I finish : I got a card reader for my camera, will have pictures up on my next day off.
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Its only human to be tempted by such an offer, I wouldn't expect less of this community if I posed the same situation. Good to see you made the honest choice as well ;)
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

good deal on that engine
projects galore :nerd:
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Yeah I thought it was a good deal. The guy even called my cell phone to let me know it's only costing $23 to ship, so he's refunding the rest once the payment clears up.
dwsracing
Goped
Goped

Post by dwsracing »

So who got the spree in st.charles for 75.00 off craigslist ???
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

My friend Chris, actually. LOL