Looking at a 1973 Honda CB500.....just one problem, though..

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Looking at a 1973 Honda CB500.....just one problem, though..

Post by dgsoles »

The bike has no title. It's a fixer-upper, in pieces right now. The guy I want to buy it from says he has never had the title for it. I'm going to do a little investigative work at the Secretary of State today and see what my options are. Any opinions from you guys? He wants $250 for it.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
DJPhatman

Post by DJPhatman »

That's $250 too much. Ask at SoS for a title search, $10, IIRC. That will tell you the last known title holder, if it's within 3 years. You can call them, or go online at www.michigan.gov/sos and check out the FAQ.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Now, I know that's normally the rule, but I was doing some calling around. The Michigan Secretary of State (where I live), claims that as long as I have a bill of sale and the VIN doesn't come up as stolen, I can get it retitled in my name....has anyone had any experience re-titling?
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You will have to get it safety inspected if hasn't been registered for a few years(gotta put it back in the computer). Basically they give you a form and you give it to a cop, he checks everything off, you then go to the SOS and pay your taxes and registration fee.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

So, the fact that it is torn down to the frame for a restoration would hinder this process? The guy was going to turn it into a cafe racer, and intall the bore kit, but never got around to it...comes with the bore kit, though, which is nice, and a cb750 Supersport 4-in-1 exhaust.....so, I'm picking the bike up in pieces....literally. All there and organized, but, piece nonetheless.
HondaCharlie
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaCharlie »

sounds like a decent deal, try to get it for $175-$200. You can get a lost title for it. A cop will come out and run the VIN number off it, then he'll fill out this little yellow paper and give it to you and you can take the paper and go to the secretary of state and get a new title in your name. Its a PITA but can be done. If the bore kit and exhaust are in good shape or new then thats almost worth it in itself, you cound sell those 2 parts for almost that much. Is the seat ripped? gas tank rusty inside? keys? Cosmetically how is it?
HondaCharlie
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

In MI, I've had little trouble getting titles for old bikes. I put a '82 CB900F back on the road. I had title in hand; rather than messing with it they just entered a new one, since it had been off the road for over 7 years. No inspection either.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Well, the bore kit is brand new, not even installed. The exhaust is cosmetically a little rusty, so the chrome is probably gone on it, but functionally it is fine....hard to find that exhaust, too, apparently. It doesn't come with the original seat, but the gentlemen is giving me a seat off of a 750 SuperSport, which should be an allllmmooost identical frame. Gas tank has a bit of rust....nothing some gasoline, carb cleaner, weeee amount of sulfuric acid, glass marbles, and a whole lot of shaking and rinsing can't clear up. Didn't ask about the keys......