My new Spree...no key

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

rwl944
Noob
Noob

My new Spree...no key

Post by rwl944 »

I've acquired a new Spree from my fiance that was sitting in her parents garage for the past 10 yrs, but they can't seem to find a copy of the key. Any suggestions on how I get a copy of it, or is there an easy way to hotwire it? I wanna get this thing rollin'!!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

if the key-ignition is still intact and in good condition, you can take it out and take it to a locksmith and they can make a key for you. Taking it out is pretty easy, just take off front panel, disconnect the wires and unscrew the bolts. cost=probably under $5

Another alternative is buying a new key-ignition which would come with keys, from a honda dealer. cost=about $35

If you'd like you can try to hotwire it, but you would have to cut the existing wires on the ignition. Then connect red to black wires.

now that you have your options, pick your poison. :wink: :lol:
projects galore :nerd:
rwl944
Noob
Noob

Post by rwl944 »

sweet.......thanks!
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

I'm in the same boat - ie. keyless

I asked a honda dealer about this and he said there might/should be a code or id # on the ignition assembly.

I guess this isn't true for Sprees? :(

mike
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

mikeg wrote:I'm in the same boat - ie. keyless

I asked a honda dealer about this and he said there might/should be a code or id # on the ignition assembly.

I guess this isn't true for Sprees? :(

mike
no dont take the key-ignition to a honda dealer. just take it out and take to a locksmith, i.e. homedepot, lowes.. and have them make a key for it there. It'll be much cheaper than doing it at the dealer. You can get a brand new ignition from a dealer, but other than that I wouldn't go there for something like this.
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

is there a code on the ignition?

the price quoted to me from my dealer was $15 CDN for two keys. He said that they are tricky keys for a locksmith to make. (?)

mike
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

mikeg wrote:is there a code on the ignition?

the price quoted to me from my dealer was $15 CDN for two keys. He said that they are tricky keys for a locksmith to make. (?)

mike
I don't recall seeing one, but there might be. just take off the front panel and look around the ignition, might be there.