Spree 50 Price?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

donwjoy
Noob
Noob

Spree 50 Price?

Post by donwjoy »

I just aquired a 1986 Spree 50. I got it running and it runs good and looks prety good. I can't decide if i should keep it or sell it. Could some one give me any idea what it is worth? It is in verry good shape. The only things missing are the mirrors and the rear turn signals. Also what kind of oil should I use in it?
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

Hey,

Does the Spree have the Title? I just picked up mine for $350 with title. It needs alittle work but its a clean bike. I see Spree's on Craigslist in the Chicago area going from $400 to $800. Where in IL are you from?

As for oil, most people will recomend that Honda GN2 oil. Theres a thread around here somewhere of oil choices.

Hope this helps!
donwjoy
Noob
Noob

Post by donwjoy »

I don't have title but I can get one. I have a bill of sale and can aply for a lost title. I am in west Chicago surburbs. If I could get $500 It would go.
Wheelman-111

Cranky Seller

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It all depends on how much someone wants it, and how badly the seller needs the money...

Here's one of the crankier sellers I've seen lately. Reserve not met:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Sp ... 240%3A1318
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

donwjoy wrote:I don't have title but I can get one. I have a bill of sale and can aply for a lost title. I am in west Chicago surburbs. If I could get $500 It would go.
Hey, trying to get a Title in IL is a challange. Its not as easy as it seems (or so i have been told).

$500 isnt a bad price. The reserve on that Scoot in that ebay link is $400. Ive personally seen that Scooter and its Mint.
Wheelman-111

Minty Price

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth the Dreamer:
$500 isnt a bad price. The reserve on that Scoot in that ebay link is $400. Ive personally seen that Scooter and its Mint.
And currently, of all the eBayers who have viewed this particular Spree (without a title), the highest bid is $217. Demand will dictate price. Sprees are attractive, reliable, easy to ride and carry upstairs :!:

They are not especially fast, and even surface street urban traffic can be threatening if your practical speed limit is 30. Depends who you are and what you want. I wouldn't consider a Spree at any price. I wouldn't pay $500 for a new Lear Jet either. Neither fits my needs, but obviously a lot of folks like them a lot.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

dreamer1uk wrote:[quote="donwjoy$500 isnt a bad price. The reserve on that Scoot in that ebay link is $400. Ive personally seen that Scooter and its Mint.
And - it has its original PETCOCK COVER!! Woooeee! :D

My two cents - take 'em or leave 'em:

Back in '84, when Prez Raygun was at the tiller, Sprees sold for $499. By '87, the price had increased to <600>, or in that ballpark.

So - if you can get a good one today for <500> (give or take a buck or two), it's a good deal.

How many mass produced vehicles can YOU name that've held their value THAT well? Eh?

CaptDan>
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: Minty Price

Post by CaptDan »

Wheelman posits:

They are not especially fast, and even surface street urban traffic can be threatening if your practical speed limit is 30.

Once again, the Wise One from DeepintheHearta speaks truth. :wink:

CaptDan>
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

donwjoy wrote: $500 isnt a bad price. The reserve on that Scoot in that ebay link is $400. Ive personally seen that Scooter and its Mint.
It doesn't matter if its better than new condition....without a title it's only good for parts. This alone almost slashes the value in half.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Wheelman-111

Fury

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Cap'n Dan axt:
How many mass produced vehicles can YOU name that've held their value THAT well? Eh?
For a while there, Harley-Davidsons were selling for more used than new. That'd be because there were markups and a waiting list at the dealers' and some people were prepared to pay extra just to get it today. Then the Economic reality set in, and H-D managed to muck up their wet dream. Now facing real competition in the cruiser world, and they no longer have the cachet of vague badness and exclusivity.

Honda Fury just hit the market. The right cruiser at the right price at exactly the wrong time. If it wasn't for the economy, it'd break all the records.

Thanks for the (undeserved) compliment. It's spelled Deepinnaharta. :)
Wheelman-111
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

wiguy05 wrote:
donwjoy wrote:It doesn't matter if its better than new condition....without a title it's only good for parts. This alone almost slashes the value in half.
It depends on where you are. Lots of states don't require title, registration, insurance, DL, etc. I bought an "E" which had an Illinois title and tried to get it transferred to Missouri. Local tag office didn't know what to do with it, and after two or three calls to DMV in Jeff City, they still didn't know what to do with it, and were afraid if I did apply for MO title, that Jeff City wouldn't know what to do with it. Then I bought a "SA", no title, just a bill of sale. We ride 'em both.

Different story on my Helix. It's over the line, 250cc. I would agree that a Helix without a title is a parts bike or trail bike.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: Fury

Post by CaptDan »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Cap'n Dan axt:
For a while there, Harley-Davidsons were selling for more used than new. That'd be because there were markups and a waiting list at the dealers' and some people were prepared to pay extra just to get it today. Then the Economic reality set in, and H-D managed to muck up their wet dream. Now facing real competition in the cruiser world, and they no longer have the cachet of vague badness and exclusivity.

Honda Fury just hit the market. The right cruiser at the right price at exactly the wrong time. If it wasn't for the economy, it'd break all the records.

Thanks for the (undeserved) compliment. It's spelled Deepinnaharta. :)
Saddy, 'bout dat. My word manglings are legendary, like I am in my own mind. :lol:

You make several valid points - particularly with the Harleys of yore. I was just musing that a Spree, arguably the cheapest and most produced of the massive plastik/skoots, started out inexpensive, and pretty much stayed that way.

It's worth mentioning, however, that a somewhat decent Spree - whose owner repeatedly neglected to register its li'll Tupperware self in states requiring it - can amass a gubmint dept equal to - or exceeding - the bike's real worth.

5 painful words a buyer who just spend $350 for a Spree doesn't need to hear:

"That'll be $195 dollars, preeze!'

CaptDan>
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

5 painful words a buyer who just spend $350 for a Spree doesn't need to hear:

"That'll be $195 dollars, preeze!'

In that case, meet me at the state line and I'll take your govment problem off your hands. :mrgreen:
Joking of course. My son is in college in one of the 'burbs on the West side, in Woodridge. I believe you call them "villages" up there. Anyway, we just went up and took him some furniture for his apartment. Round trip expenses are more than the scoot's worth or that would be a serious offer.

Having experienced traffic in the 'burbs of Chicago, I gotta agree with Wheelman, a little 49 is just not safe on those streets. Our son's commute to the college is less than a mile, and we've considered helping him get a scoot, but I wouldn't care to tackle that traffic on anything less than a 125cc, and with plenty of lights to make sure people see me.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Lunytune wrote:

Having experienced traffic in the 'burbs of Chicago, I gotta agree with Wheelman, a little 49 is just not safe on those streets. Our son's commute to the college is less than a mile, and we've considered helping him get a scoot, but I wouldn't care to tackle that traffic on anything less than a 125cc, and with plenty of lights to make sure people see me.
No argument there - other than, perhaps, to mention an Elite CH80 (like the 'Yam' on the left) holds its own quite well in urban sprawledge, sez I. Whizzes up to traffic speed, keeping the impatient cellular nimbobs well astern. :shock:

On the other hand, a 125cc bike would likely provide more 'escape grit,' as it were. :wink:

Can't say the same for the l'll red beast depicted, though. I've experienced several occasions having my left elbow air conditioned by passing drivers being piloted by their SUVs. :cry:

One of my fave road machine quips:

"....Like (s)he's driving an ox and the ox knows where it's going....." :P

CaptDan>
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

a nice looking and running spree can easily fetch $600 plus up here in michigan.

but we dont need insurance for them and registering them with the DMV is a piece of cake