'97 Elite (SA50) Inner Tube Questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Chisholm
Goped
Goped

'97 Elite (SA50) Inner Tube Questions

Post by Chisholm »

So, I had a tube blow out a few weeks ago at 35 mph :(
I bought a replacement tube from the local shop. The old one was 2.5x10, and that's what I asked for, but the guy brought back a 2.75/3.0x10 and said it would fit.
So, I installed the tube, but now the tire is out of round. I've checked it, deflated it and reinflated a few times, but the problem perisists. I also couldn't get the valve stem to seat properly. It's an angled one, and the base won't go flush through the rim; it might if I really beat on it. It's also not a screw in like the old one.

My question is whether my problem is user error or the wrong part. What do you guys think?

-BTW, the new tube is made in India by Prima.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

The inner tube size you installed is correct, since stock tire is 3.00-10

but if valve stem isn't fully seated then that could be throwing it off. try to find a proper straight stemmed tube if possible
projects galore :nerd:
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

if the stem doesnt seat it will definitely not allow the tire to seat correctly. out of balance tires are a scary thing, especially when they are so small!
Chisholm
Goped
Goped

Re: '97 Elite (SA50) Inner Tube Questions

Post by Chisholm »

I've narrowed it down to the tire not seating.
How much air should I use to seat it? I've been pumping it to 40 psi, a la car tire, but it won't seat. Tried lubing it too.
'86 Spree - Stock
'97 Elite SR - Gears and Variator
'99 Jog - Stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'd remove the tire completely and check the bead for kinks and the carcass for any obvious flaws. Could it be that the tube went south because the tire's delaminating. There's a number stamped on the sidewall that indicates the week/year the tire was cooked. If it ends in 04 or less, just get a new one, unless your saftey's not worth $25. Most 5-year-old tires hold together just fine, but some don't. :(
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Re:

Post by wiguy05 »

scooterwerx wrote:out of balance tires are a scary thing, especially when they are so small!
I had a Spree tire blow out on me last year. Sounded like a gunshot at ~25mph. Almost dumped the bike too.

I will admit, the tire was pretty bad, too many one wheel peels with the new scoot :shock:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Chisholm
Goped
Goped

Post by Chisholm »

You've got a point Wheelman...
I examined it and it seemed okay when off the rim.
But you guys didn't answer my question, how much pressure does it usually take to seat the beads?
'86 Spree - Stock
'99 Jog - Stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A tube-type tire on a tube-type rim will not need to "seat" violently like a car tire. I hand-mounted my Pirelli and a new tube, adding pressure with a foot pump. The tire found its way gradually down to the rim flange and was correctly centered without any special effort on my part. Of course it was a new tire...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Chisholm
Goped
Goped

Post by Chisholm »

Sounds like I won't go with my plan of finding a cage to put it in and taking it to 60ish.
Thanks Wheeldude.
'86 Spree - Stock
'99 Jog - Stock