beating a dead horse- she lives again!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: beating a dead horse- MAJOR HELP NEEDED

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I hate to be the one to break it to you, Driz, but it sounds/looks like that bore is toast. There, I said it.

I don't know why it overheated so, but evidently it did. You mentioned it first started "like it was going WOT...". Then there was evidently an exhaust gasket leak. ("Moisture" around the shroud...) Ill-fitting shrouds can also be a serious issue. Then again, perhaps another as-yet unrecognized air influx somewhere - crank seals? Reed block?? Perhaps some errant metal shard in your combustion chamber led to detonation, or your timing went seriously too-far-advanced. Your 88 jet sounds right for the stock box and pipe, so I don't know what else to tell you except that you've evidently lost compression.

I had the Polini in Flash I and it survived even ham-fisted Wheelman "tuning skills" without ever looking like that. Sorry, dawg. Maybe Patrick Day can set you up with a 1st OS piston and you can have a machine shop clean up whatever's wrong with the cylinder? Check everything above before you fire it up again.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: beating a dead horse- MAJOR HELP NEEDED

Post by drizzle »

this whole ordeal has left me heartbroken and distrusting of italians. (jk on that last part)

but yeah. i've lost all motivation and money.

going to attempt to put the stock bore back on, get it running, and then i'm done. going to ride it to and from work until i save enough, then sell off everything, sell the whole bike, and get a motorcycle.

sorry to let you guys down :?
devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: beating a dead horse- given up!

Post by devenex »

Sorry to hear about the bore going out on ya. I know you're probably pretty frustrated right now, but I'd encourage you to at least take some time before deciding to bail on the scooter.

In any event, what type of motorcycle do you want?
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

devenex wrote:Sorry to hear about the bore going out on ya. I know you're probably pretty frustrated right now, but I'd encourage you to at least take some time before deciding to bail on the scooter.

i've been dreaming all summer/winter of 70's honda CB100-350's.
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

drizzle wrote:
devenex wrote:Sorry to hear about the bore going out on ya. I know you're probably pretty frustrated right now, but I'd encourage you to at least take some time before deciding to bail on the scooter.

i've been dreaming all summer/winter of 70's honda CB100-350's.
I have a bad temper when things go wrong for me that at times makes me want to just give up. :evil:

Over the summer there have been many things to overcome with my Aero.

Maybe not as drastic as what your going through..... BUT ...Still ... frustrating things.

Like devenex said "give it some time" take a break from it and work on it again when things settle a little.

Sorry to preach but just trying to help. :)
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

i dug into it one last time to see if i could get it to run...

TURNS OUT,

reason why it lost compression is that two of the 4 head bolts completely stripped out the threads on the block. so the whole thing is useless.

anybody have an AF05 engine to sell cheap?

i need a scooter to ride this season! :nervous:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Not so fast thar, Pard! Stripped threads in cast Al-Yew-Minnie-Yum ain't the end of the World As We Know It. It'll take a little more work which you really don't feel like doing right now, but you've come this far.

I suggest you hunt up some Time-Serts, Heli-Coils, or any thread-replacement system at Your Town's Best Machine Tool Store. They're easy to do, and provide a permanent fix for your block. You drill the hole(s) a little bigger, tap in the threads for the inserts, screw 'em down and Presto! You have spankin'-new stainless spring-steel M6 threads ready to accept your head bolts. (You could even tap the M6 threads out to SAE 1/4", but you'd have to find tempered bolts in the correct length.)

Go easy on the Wheaties when you screw those headbolts down. Oil every thing lightly and use that Torque Wrench, tightening in a half-turn criss-cross pattern to 11 ft.-lbs. No more. No Less. :wink:
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

thanks a lot for all the advice, but i'm throwing in the towel on this block. possibly already have a new engine thanks to this website's amazing marketplace section.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'll give you $10 for your old block rat now! :naughty:
Wheelman-111
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

lotta sentimental value in this block... and cash value, with salvage-able $180 polini bore!

tempting.........

...no dice!
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

good to see that you havent given up just yet! bore the cyl out a little larger and get a 1 over piston/rings and get her going.
if you dont want to go to the trouble of helicoiling, just take it to a machine shop and have them do it. less time and hassle, and probably a little less money...
but if your getting a good deal on a pretty much complete engine, go for it!
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: beating a dead horse- new life!

Post by drizzle »

well thanks to bigluelok, I HAVE A RUNNING AERO 50! thanks so much bro

(although those brake pads were a real pain in the * to get on)

still working out the kinks, but i think i'll keep this one a bit more stock. ruckus variator and 3.50 tire, maybe a little more, but that's it!

see, this story, although not what i expected, turned out to have a happy ending :coolcruise:
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

so the motor worked out for you. glad to hear sorry about the brake pads i needed them. :smile:
CH80
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

glad to hear it was brought back from the brink.!! always nice to have the scooter youve had awhile running.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: beating a dead horse- she lives again!

Post by drizzle »

my baby's running again. don't know how well though. had nothing to connect the oil pump, so running pre-mix.

current set up-

'93 SE50 AF05 block.
63cc big bore. CMR i think
7.8:1 malossi gears
stock exhaust
stock carb, 90 jet, open k&n filter, needle at it's richest
ruckus variator, 36g worth of rollers. something like 6g weights, but in reality it's just 4 9g weights.

only rode about 5 minutes, got up to 40-ish top speed. clearly some fine-tuning is needed.