Flash 3.26

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Flash 3 Crashes

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Needle's in the middle of 5, sensibly enough... :wink:
I thought it "felt" rich, but I've decided I'm not good enough to make that call by feel. I'll install a new plug tonight and go ride pointlessly around.

What would you do about insufficient throttle pull?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Snowman94
BMX
BMX

Post by Snowman94 »

Congrats.. that is a fast bike and sounds like it is still very streetable. Does that lil GPS thing you have also display rpms? I need a gauge with tach and cylinder head temp. I need a tach because that is the only way I know how to tune properly. I think I am going to mount it where the left mirror should go. Any recommendations?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for the Props, Snow. Can someone remind me?

Idling, grab a handful of throttle on and off. If the idle goes below baseline and takes a while to climb back up, this suggests a too-rich Pilot?
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Snowman94 wrote:Congrats.. that is a fast bike and sounds like it is still very streetable. Does that lil GPS thing you have also display rpms? I need a gauge with tach and cylinder head temp. I need a tach because that is the only way I know how to tune properly. I think I am going to mount it where the left mirror should go. Any recommendations?
Don't want to hijack Wheelman's thread here, but Google for the Vapor speedometer and you should find everything your looking for with a price tag that will leave you looking for whats left in your wallet.
Wheelman-111

Flash 3 Farts, Fades, Fizzles

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Swapped this Nikasil/stock crank 78cc to OKO 28/30mm carb a couple of weeks ago. Pump wired open. BPR8 Plug. Ran great yesterday with 138/55 setup, and I didn't touch it last night.

This morning I was late for my commute to work. Fired up according to ritual, maybe a few seconds longer than usual with enrichener on. Popped it off, tying helmet and gloves, the idle began to slow. Down below 1100, then stalled. Couldn't get a re-start. The clear float bowl tells me there was fuel in the carb, but cranked and kicked awhile without a sign of life.

Too late to pull the spark plug, had to 4-wheel to work. I suspect a fouled plug from lots of oil, possibly a rich Pilot, and too-cool plug for the setup. We'll see...
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Everyt'ing Iri Mon

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

BPR8 plug looked a bit oily with good color and no soot. Probably got wet this morning, and might've re-lit if I'd had the time to keep cranking.

Swapped in a #7 HIX Iridium and everyt'ing Irie Mon.

Got a Bando 654 x 18 x30 in the mail. Measures 18.22 wide and 668 the long way. (the 669 measured 682mm that way). Installed, the 654 definitely launches a bit slower but F3 has enough power to launch. Went from 38.3 grams to 35 in the Vario and after launch the power is fine. Top speed feels like it's better but no GPS to report. For sure there'll be no issues with the belt slapping the case. The extra width and shorter length keeps it tucked in well inside the rear pulley rims.

One belt for City Duty, one for Highway...
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Flash III Semi-Retired Again

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Drained the oil tank, yanked Flash 3 in under an hour. It's good to know my Low Oil indicator works. It's red and very bright!

This to make way for Flash 4, once again fitted with a new Ruima 51mm cylinder for a true 90cc, this time with a more conservative 127PSI static compression.

Epilog: Nikasil 49mm = 78cc is a durable, 60+ MPH kit that should last a while. Worked with Mikuni TM24 jetted at 25/160 or so. Liked the OKO 28/30mm carb at 55/138 too, but a little midrange flat spot that needed an aggressive throttle hand to ride through with that big carb. Maybe the PG Long was the issue, but I couldn't tune around it completely.

I'll post pics of a teardown when I decide what to do with it.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Back Under the Saddle Ag'in

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

While Flash 4.1 undergoes repairs, Flash 3 once again resides under the red SR. Installed with VTCycles' wonderful EZ-ZX kit, replete with Bando 654 and Kymco clutch with stock springs that engage just off idle.

Taz's Hot Surfaces - Do Not Touch pipe of unknown headpipe diameter creates Great Steaming Piles of low-end Torque. This means stoplight exits are an assertive, low-key affair instead of a screaming smoke display. No kidding, for 78ccs this is in Plonker Trials bike territory!

My giant 97 mm Brand X variator is too heavily loaded for this engine, limiting WOT RPM to 7500. Sitll, it runs up to 55 in a quarter mile. When possible I'll subtract a few grams and see how much RPM the pipe supports.

But around town, I'm really liking this slightly quieter muffler even if it isn't as fast as the PG Long. For the record, the PeeG has a 28.5mm headpipe.
Wheelman-111
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Re: Back Under the Saddle Ag'in

Post by wiguy05 »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Taz's Hot Surfaces - Do Not Touch pipe of unknown headpipe diameter creates Great Steaming Piles of low-end Torque. This means stoplight exits are an assertive, low-key affair instead of a screaming smoke display. No kidding, for 78ccs this is in Plonker Trials bike territory!

But around town, I'm really liking this slightly quieter muffler even if it isn't as fast as the PG Long. For the record, the PeeG has a 28.5mm headpipe.
Any pictures of said pipe? Or info on brand/how one could obtain?
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Re: Flash III Semi-Retired Again

Post by Fishman43 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

...Epilog: Nikasil 49mm = 78cc is a durable, 60+ MPH kit that should last a while. Worked with Mikuni TM24 jetted at 25/160 or so. Liked the OKO 28/30mm carb at 55/138 too, but a little midrange flat spot that needed an aggressive throttle hand to ride through with that big carb. Maybe the PG Long was the issue, but I couldn't tune around it completely.

I'll post pics of a teardown when I decide what to do with it.
Guy,

Can I ask for your prof-fessional advice on carb tuning. I just broke down and ordered the Nikasil bore from Patrick Day and will keep the still new Riuma bore from B.T. as a back up (or maybe build and tune with the Riuma, before swapping in the Nikasil. So many choices :nervous: ). At any rate, I am putting one of these two bores on, both within a few cc's of eachothe,r with that big 'ol chamber pipe I bought from you and a OKO 19 mm carb and intake setup from VT (hopefully the CF reeds if BT can get enough buyers). I don't even know where to start with jets on this carb and I was hoping in all your guru experience with carb tuning you could advise me on a good starting place. I am happier to go rich and jet down than start short and cook a new bore, besides that I am going to have to down jet once I get close to make the Dial-A-Jet work anyway.

Thanks,
Dan
Wheelman-111

OKO 19mm Carb?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

First, I don't think you can swap back and forth between the Nik and the Ruima because the former has the stock-sized boost port and the latter has the big 24x12 AF18 cutout. For Mystery Reasons, running a mismatched block port and cylinder evidently can result in Bad Things. Some have suggested using composite paste to fill the cut port back in to stock size, but really, would you try that? Plastics and gas fumes only get along together for so long...

I don't know how "Prof-fessional" you can call me with all the deep-fried bores I've made lately. No experience what-so-ever with the OKO 19. I didn't even know there was such a carb. If you want my flat-out Guess, I'd say 46 Pilot and 146 main, but the bore you cook may be your own. For sure you'll need a temp gauge unless someone can put you in the ballpark based on Actual Experience.

Maybe Tru or Oh-Eight or Baka-san can enlighten us on both issues?
Wheelman-111
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Re: Flash III Resurrected

Post by Fishman43 »

Good to know, thanks. I will watch for others to cast their votes...
Wheelman-111

Re: Flash III Resurrected

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Now with a bit of experience with the 24mm OKO, my advice seems incorrect. With 86ccs of demand, the Pilot is close at 58, probably will end up at 48. However the Main is still big-ish at 125 in the 24mm carb, so I suspect the 19 will need smaller than that, certainly nowhere near 146 as suggested above.

Look out for Flash 3.2, my Corsa 72.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Flash 3.2: 72cc Corsa!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nikasil goes into semi-retirement after ~1300 miles without a scratch despite my ham-fisted jetting errors early on. The piston has typical brown stains but no scuffs. The bore literally looks like new!

Customx_22 offered his low-mileage iron Corsa at a price I couldn't refuse, so I sprang. Instant Priority shipping and a masterful packing job.
Off came the Nik. Remind me to always grease all gaskets every time. The cylinder slid off the cases like buttah, spotless as Lindsay Lohan's driving record. When she was like, 2.

The CORSA took its place with a 0.22mm supplied base gasket that needed a little Hondabond insurance, as there was a bit of a crease through the boost port, like it had been folded.

Snugged down, compression checked at 143. The ports are high and huge compared to the Nikasil, but I didn't measure the timing. Figured Luigi and Giuseppe knew what they were doing. At least the shrouds fit without carving.

CAN SOMEBody please sell me an axle for the 7.97:1 gears?! I hear the CORSA needs legs. We can work a deal for some nice 8.4s I have...
Wheelman-111
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Flash 3.2: 72cc Corsa!

Post by bakaracer »

try it with the 8.44to1 gears first
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke