Performance Spree exhaust pipe build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

wilit
Goped
Goped

Performance Spree exhaust pipe build

Post by wilit »

BEHOLD!!! Performance pipe v1.0

I started this project with a spare stock Spree muffler. I cut it open, cleaned it out, drilled a hole in the baffle and welded it back up to see if there was any performance gain. No noticeable difference in pickup or top end, so performance pipe v0.0 was a bust. On to v1.0.

I cut the head pipe off the stock muffler and used a pipe off of a Cag pocket bike I picked up for $15 shipped. Amazingly enough, both pipes use the same ID and OD pipe, so welding the two together was rather simple. Performance wise, it's a bit better. The bottom end (up to 5mph) is a bit better than before but the mid-range is flat as can be. Once it gets up to about 20mph, it's a bit better and my top speed has inched up a bit from 25mph to 28mph. Also, the sound has increased exponentially. It sounds like a swam of a trillion angry bees. Not sure I really like that, but it was expected to be louder.

For v1.1, I think I'm going to cut the 90┬░ bend off of the mounting flange and make a straighter transition. Not sure if it'll do anything at this point, but it's worth a shot. Afterall, I'm just doing this project for the fun of it. I'm pretty sure what it could benefit from is a properly sized expansion chamber. Maybe that'll be the goal for v2.0.
Last edited by wilit on Sun May 06, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7m-iata
Goped
Goped

Re: Performace Spree exhaust pipe build

Post by 7m-iata »

i started from the same basic place, using an exp chamber from a cag pocket bike . i extended the expansion chamber by cutting it in the center and welding 3" pipe in between the 2 halves making the chamber 18" tip to tip then put the muffler on by 180 bend and packed it with steel wool to quiet it down. i have an elite not a spree but from stock that chamber made a HUGE difference. just a few pointers from personal experience
wilit
Goped
Goped

Re: Performace Spree exhaust pipe build

Post by wilit »

Cool, thanks for the tip. What's the length of the head pipe? Is it pretty much the stock length or did you shorten it up any?
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Re: Performance Spree exhaust pipe build

Post by geezer101 »

7m-iata wrote:i started from the same basic place, using an exp chamber from a cag pocket bike . i extended the expansion chamber by cutting it in the center and welding 3" pipe in between the 2 halves making the chamber 18" tip to tip then put the muffler on by 180 bend and packed it with steel wool to quiet it down. i have an elite not a spree but from stock that chamber made a HUGE difference. just a few pointers from personal experience
Any pics or links to your work? Like to take a look at the end product :mrgreen:
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i no its work inn proguss but you need to have some way to hold the inner fender up ... as for packing it with steel wool to quiet it down i use stanless steel wool ( cors ) from the dollar store it wont rust ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
7m-iata
Goped
Goped

Post by 7m-iata »

yeah i used stainless as well got it at biglots. and at first i used the stock head pipe then ended up making it longer for better bottom end. theres a pic on my build page. its titled "modded 89 elite". and you need to put some sort of support on the pipe. i had mine vibrate loose once and it snapped the metal that the studs go into off the block