Honda Pal Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Honda Pal Build

Post by NZHonda »

Hi all,

This is a build thread on my variated Honda Pal. I am building this bike for this event:

http://www.scootersafari.co.nz/ If you want to donate to my ride please do:

http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/AYDENCREQUER/

Anyway back to the build. As far as I can make out in your language this would be and Elite E/ES.

It is a 1997 Honda Pal. We got the JDM version with the variator and good looking tail and headlight assy.

So far I have, with the help! of Kyle(ae86guy) installed:

Tazland 44mm BBK, 21mm OKO Carb, CT Intake, High speed pully kit & Belt. Also an upgraded exhaust.

So we started with this:

So I tore it apart and fixed the fairings. They were pritty good, just needed a few cracks glued back together. Then a mate of mine painted it a day glow orange and I did the black bumpers, wheels & CVT cover. I like it.....no I love it!

Then came the need for speed. So we did all of the above work. So far with a 100kg man riding it is maxing out at 75km/h (45mph). Thats a 50% increase! Yehaaaaa

I then took it for a 100km test ride out to a local town. It went very very well but highlighted a few issues. The run out was slightly elevated and had the usual head wind. With me on it I did a consistant 65km/h. That is bloody good considering I could only manage 45km/h before mods.

So it has new brake shoes F+R, new rear shock absorber, new battery. The trip showed up a leaky oil pump and also a faulty petcock.

This is were it has started to go pear shaped! the bike is apart, seat unit off, tank out. The new petcock snapped the vacume line nipple off. So I have another on order. The floats are stuck in the carb and it poured fuel every were. So I removed every thing AGAIN & put it back in the garage.

On the positive side, the exhaust has been painted....u guessed it BLACK and wrapped in heat cloth.

So I have a few issues to work through but it should come out to be a reliably quick bike to use daily. In the future it can get a full strip down, the next sized BBk, full port and some gears and it will be even better but for now I just need it back on the road!

Happy scootering
Ayden.

PS. More pictures to come tomorrow.
Honda AF28 Dio ZX - Malossi 72cc
Honda DJ1R project
motormike

Re: Honda Pal Build

Post by motormike »

Like the result with this color. Much respect for the Elite/Pal bikes, but they just don't turn up for sale on my turf... :mrgreen:
Keep those Kiwi pics coming... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Breezy
Goped
Goped

Post by Breezy »

Nice work, it looks better than my old variated PAL, but my one was full of gravel rash and missing complete segments of fairings :lol:

I too had some muffler wrap, just be careful and try keep it more towards or on the can end, muffler wrap tends to make the pipe brittle after a while, and the wrap tends to disintegrate. Having it on the muffler can only on mine it lasted a good 7 months of regular use, then it was sold, probably still hanging on strong today.
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Ok the long awaited pictures & update..............

New Petcock (so good to be able to take carb off without draining the tank onto the floor :worship: ), 21mm BLACK OKO carb, Chrome filter, 45degree accell cable inlet, Exhust wrap and satin black paint. Oh and also the TTO Temp Gauge.

Put it all together and it ran well up top. Needle in center clip, #95 main, #38 pilot with me riding (120Kgs+) it was doing 65km/h @315 degrees F. But down low was a dog too ride. It stumbles and bogs down and then dies unless you can get the revs up. It only does that from idle though, eg. if you do a rolling 'stop' and go its fine but it does not take off well from a stand still.

Paulypaul has given me some advice which I will look at tomorrow. If anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears.

Oh & this were it all went wrong.... installed petcock and went FFS! Tanks is still leaking. Evidently a quick wire brush revealed 2 patchs of pin holes :surprise: So I made an emergency phone call to my granddad who produced this stuff from his bag of tricks:

http://www.reptechonlineshop.co.nz/inde ... &Itemid=11

I mixed it up, smeared it on, smoothed it out and hey presto NO more leaks.

Oh and please excuse the Variator cover its going to be repainted black before the weekend AFTER all of the tuning has been done.
Honda DJ1R project
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

gotta love that black OKO

this engine should have spree owners jealous of what theres could do with a variator 45MPH and has take off oh and that dirt bike sound

Nice work ayden :2thumbs:
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

what filter is that?
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

I thought I would post up some pics before my big adventure across the Souther Alps tomorrow.

Scooter is back together and going very well. #90 Main Jet & #38 Slow Jet.

Currently top speed is 75km/h 350F. I might put a #92 jet in because it seemed much more responsive even though max speed was limited to at 65kmh.

PaulyPaul I got the filters from here: They were basically 2 for the price of one K&N here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300516342312?ss ... 1497.l2649

Some long awaited pics:

Here you can see the 45degree accell cable inlet. MUCH MUCH better than before.

Ok in these two pics you can see my agricultural CHOKE lever. It works well but needs some more deveopment to make it perfect. Does anybody know where to buy a choke lever/cable kit for and OKO carb. That would be the buisness.

Here is the TTO Temp gauge mounted, groumeted, and bracket painted.

And some money shots:

Oh and if anyone needs motor bike parts etc in NZ check this website out. I got the #90 + 92 jet from them. GREAT service and was happy with the price.

http://www.motozone.co.nz

Happy Scootering,
Ayden
Honda DJ1R project
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

why do you hav the silver bowl on the black oko
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

haha nice trolley sled
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

That sled was used last winter in the snow. Cheap fun. As for thsilverbowl. While mucking around with the black one, on off, on off, so on and so on the seal has come out and stretched so wont seat properly.
Honda DJ1R project
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Ayden, nice work on the scooter! Looking like new.
I made a choke lever from a wire coat hanger, works beautifully!
Hope you find this useful:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Nice work. That engine look good and sharp. I cant wait to get my pal engine built and in my pal.

Taz
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Thanks Taz. Any word of when that 24mm carb will be in stock and shipped?
Honda DJ1R project
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Yah i got some in now.

Taz