My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Re: My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

Post by Tyler VR »

I made a new windshield, I've made a couple in the past but this is my most elaborate one yet. I incorporated wind guards over the hand grips. Turned out pretty good, just needs a little finishing work.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I decided to make a foot rest bar using the floorboard mounting bolts. I tried it in a few mounting variations, but none of them were too comfortable. I might just make a new one that's just a straight bar across the front mounting bolts.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I took apart the top end of my spare nh125 engine, here's a look inside.

ImageImage
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I'm planning on swapping this top end from my spare engine to my high mileage nh125.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I bought a roll of gasket paper and cut out some gaskets with my exacto knife.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I'm keeping the engine on the spree for the top end swap, I should hopefully have enough room to work. Started taking apart the engine and investigating.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Got the gasket surfaces really clean, ready to put back together. I had a new rod bearing from my last order of parts a few months ago, so might as well use it.

motormike

Post by motormike »

I'm plugged into your thread TylerVR.
Was there some light scoring in that cylinder ?
How many miles do you say were on the original bore ?
EDIT: My transmission has went wonky... :cry:
Do you have good internals that you can spare to sell ?
Not known yet what specifically has taken a dump, but suspect bearings.
Should be able to get those aftermarket.
I might find some damage to gears too once I open it up.
All gears and shafts are listed N/A on the parts fiche.... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

motormike wrote:I'm plugged into your thread TylerVR.
Was there some light scoring in that cylinder ?
How many miles do you say were on the original bore ?
EDIT: My transmission has went wonky... :cry:
Do you have good internals that you can spare to sell ?
Not known yet what specifically has taken a dump, but suspect bearings.
Should be able to get those aftermarket.
I might find some damage to gears too once I open it up.
All gears and shafts are listed N/A on the parts fiche.... :urban:
There was some light scoring, but nothing major. If they still made stock size rings I could have gotten away with just a hone job. But I'll eventually buy a piston and have the cyliner machined by a shop. My original engine had over 11k when I bought it, probably closer to 13k now since I did the swap. I'm sure it would have kept going too, I just wanted some improved performance.

The spare engine had over 5k, but I've suspected a bad transmission since I first started to take it apart a few months back. I finally split the trans open a few days ago and my suspicions were right, lots of damage. I only paid $45 for that aero, so it's not a big loss or anything.

I'll upload the pics tomorrow, lots of metal carnage.
motormike

Post by motormike »

....phooey... :confused:
RideRed
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Well 3 of 4 gears are bad, teeth compleley gone on 2 of them. I need to inspect more but I believe the cause of all the damage was a worn through race on the outer cover, it's not listed on parts catalogs but I still need to look my nh125 manual.

It's too bad gears aren't available anymore, there's places that could make them but I'm guessing it's expensive.

motormike

Post by motormike »

Now that is some serious carnage... :geekdance:
I suspect to find similar grindage in Ruby's gearbox.
The noises coming from it sound as if chunks are being flung off and buffeted repeatedly.
I have bigger fish to fry at the moment, brakes all around on the F-150... :urban:
RideRed
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Nice thread, I enjoyed reading about your motor swap.

I thought for a while about doing a Honda GX200/GX200 clone motor swap with a centrifugal clutch and chain drive (no transmission problems) but realized that would take more work than it was worth, not to mention it probably wouldn't come close to fitting under my body panels. That and I'd have to fabricate a whole motor "frame" to bolt it all to. I may end up doing it someday, but it'd have to be done to a cheap Spree that I didn't care much about, then maybe it'll get fixed up and looking roadworthy.

The one I have now was sitting in storage for ~20 years and is in nearly perfect cosmetic condition. Only has 1500 miles. She's still going to get a repaint later on, there's a couple of scratches that are killing me right now, it was laid down at some point. I also think the clutch is going. Sometimes the engine revs high, but it doesn't take the scooter anywhere until about a second later. That and the bystarter failed, so I took it apart and tried to fix it, didn't work. Took it apart again, jammed the needle down, and left it disconnected. Runs decently good now, but it's a pain to start if it's really cold. One of these days I'll get around to fixing it right, just don't have a clue when I'll do it. :eyeroll:

Actually, maybe I'll ask for that for Christmas. :naughty:
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

87spree70superbee wrote:Nice thread, I enjoyed reading about your motor swap.

I thought for a while about doing a Honda GX200/GX200 clone motor swap with a centrifugal clutch and chain drive (no transmission problems) but realized that would take more work than it was worth, not to mention it probably wouldn't come close to fitting under my body panels. That and I'd have to fabricate a whole motor "frame" to bolt it all to. I may end up doing it someday, but it'd have to be done to a cheap Spree that I didn't care much about, then maybe it'll get fixed up and looking roadworthy.

The one I have now was sitting in storage for ~20 years and is in nearly perfect cosmetic condition. Only has 1500 miles. She's still going to get a repaint later on, there's a couple of scratches that are killing me right now, it was laid down at some point. I also think the clutch is going. Sometimes the engine revs high, but it doesn't take the scooter anywhere until about a second later. That and the bystarter failed, so I took it apart and tried to fix it, didn't work. Took it apart again, jammed the needle down, and left it disconnected. Runs decently good now, but it's a pain to start if it's really cold. One of these days I'll get around to fixing it right, just don't have a clue when I'll do it. :eyeroll:

Actually, maybe I'll ask for that for Christmas. :naughty:
Thanks and good luck with your spree. All of my scooters started as projects, it's pretty fun to bring them back to life.

I have a spare nq50 engine that's been sitting around, I'm planning on a little project with it. So keep an eye in the build section for a separate build I'm going to start soon. :thumbwink:
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

Where is this vr ..:)
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.