my Honda Aero 50 restro thread

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Re: my Honda Aero 50 restro thread

Post by sanjuro »

Enjoying watching this project progress.
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

i found an 84 honda elite 125cc on craigslist for cheap (almost free cheap) the bike was in a fire so a lot of the plastics are melted but the motor only has like 4000 miles on it! the wiring is all good and when i pulled the variator the rollers were not even worn. i'm seriously debating putting that motor on the aero, only issue would be finding a place to mount the radiator and fabricating the engine mount and shock mounting locations. i'm going to finish up with the 50 cc motor and enjoy the bike for a while first ( might not even do the swap) but i'm thinking that would be a pretty awesome project.

^the 125cc motor
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

Nice job on this one! It's going to look great.
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

been a while.. decided to go ahead and put the 125 motor in... havnt done more then this yet though. been working on my other scooters a lot. got my metro running great with a better filter and jets. and my reflex got a bunch of polini stuff for the drivetrain..good stuff

need to design the engine mount, then find a fabricator/wielder
jshaner
Noob
Noob

Post by jshaner »

What did you use to make that sweet air filter?
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

I made it out of multiple random parts I had sitting around in the garage. If I would have known my options I would have just bought one from here

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/index.ph ... 7cf6a58005

They have tons of options for decent prices. I like the ones that come with different size adapters so you can use them on any carb you may come across.
jshaner
Noob
Noob

Post by jshaner »

That site is really good, thank you. I will post some pics of my 86 aero 50 soon.
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

a bit of progress but not much

after about 2 weeks of debating what/how i was going to mount this engine i decided on the spot pictured above

using the oem mounts welded to each-other at an angle that avoids the starter. this also leaves enough for the carb and the filter/velocity stack. the cool thing is the plastics have a vent that is in-line with where the carb faces on the right side.

the suspension will be mounted to the back here^ the best part about this is the oem plastics will only need a small amount of trimming on the back side to avoid the shocks so it will look very similar to OEM

here is a view from the other side

and where the shock will be mounted on that side

this side will require about half of the inside of the storage box to be cut off.
other then that there will be little required modification to the fairings to get it to work. because the oem throttle cable wont work with this set up ( it had the dual version that works the choke and the carb's butterfly valve(?)) i ordered the cable for the elite 125 (dunno WHERE mine is)

here is a front-ish and back view of where the motor sits...

once i get the mount welded the 2 biggest problems are going to be where i put the radiator and the wiring (that i usually have to just wing or call someone that knows what they are doing)
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Good luck on the swap, should be pretty crazy when it's done. :thumbsup:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I think you should put the 50cc engine back on.

the 125cc swap requires too modification of your very nice aero panels.

:imo:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Wow! I usually agree with Jamz, but not in this case. Modify what you must, but that'll be one unique and should-be reliable Aero when you're done. Do it more!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

not really that much of an accomplishment, but today i cut my engine mounts to prep for the creation of the custom one...still need to do some grinding.. but soon will come the welding
bigger news is i cleaned my garage today, which allows for more work to be accomplished!
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

spent a couple hours (and a couple beers) sanding the paint off the plastics...(FYI... sanding is probably my least favorite thing to do) after i get all the paint off i'm going to try and repair all the cracks and fill in the few deep scratches.
if anyone knows about some stuff that is perfect for that let me know so i can buy it. otherwise i'm going to try this plastic weld stuff that i bought at auto zone.
here is where i stopped for the day. the headlight cover is practically finished the rest still needs some work ( as i'm sure you can see plainly with your own eyes)

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Probably the strongest repair you can do is Carbon cloth bonded with ABS or Multi-purpose cement. See Cheap and Dirty Plastic Repair in Tech. Epoxy and Polyester resins do Not bond well to ABS. Reinforce the inside, then fill in cracks from without. Sheer 1-Oz Glass cloth can be formed to cover the bigger cracks, then smoothed down and filled. Sanding gets easier with an Orbital sander
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH