1985 "Trash Aero" project

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

1985 "Trash Aero" project

Post by nateberrier »

This wasnt going to be a project. I didnt plan on it, but Im reluctant to sell anything or give it away if I might use it.

I bought Mr. White Aero, then started riding with my friend who has an sa50 and a ch80. My wife admitted she likes riding after making fun of me for getting addicted to fixing these things. Later that day she finds a guy selling a red Aero and he says it also has a parts companion. I probably got suckered into paying too much but I mean really, I wanted what he had so 450 for a running aero and mostly complete parts bike is not the worst price.

I blew up the running one a few days later, and so considered trying to fire up the parts bike motor, though they ripped the carb and fan assembly off it. I really had the itch to try rebuilding the motor and so we did that instead. Im kinda glad cause it RIPS.

So anyway I have a bike in the basement and it just sits there. Its missing some things and I used it for some parts to get the other bike running on the first day.

I pulled the turn signal relay, turn signal, turn signal button assembly, high/low light harness, etc. I really never planned on fixing this thing.
We also have a buddy who is super cheap, so I figured maybe I can get this going and sell it to him, break even on some other parts and feel less guilty about my scoot habit overall.

Low miles on it though, definitely has overspray on the gauge cluster and seat. Not too worried about it.

Crusty and obviously sitting outside for a bit

We were shamelessly gonna steal a harness plug before finding out that the connectors are different from 85 to 86

Little bummed about the rust hole, but I dont think it will ruin anything really.

So I figured I would start in two places with this bike. The PO told me that the bike ran then it didnt start anymore, so they started using it for parts. They also told me they lost the key and you could see where the key cyl was cut around through the plastic, rather than just taking the front panel off. I seriously dont understand some redneck s***. Like you put more effort into being lazy than just doing it right.

So as you can see the fan is missing, I have said fan, I actually used it when the BBK bike needed a new fan, but it was off the bike when i got it. The other fan is a little damaged but should work okay, im generally not worried about it, though I am tempted to put my AF05 from the 86 on and call it a day.

In the box of junk that came with the bike was part of the petcock, so I ordered a new one. Im going to start with pulling the gas tank.
MMH Melted wires?! what happened here?

This tank is hella crusty compared to the others I have.

Im gonna scrub it outside, try to pull the petcock straw out, fill it with gas and give her the ole shaky shake, and then put it back on and call it good.

Next part of this start off goes back to my af16 swapped white aero. My buddy and I parted out an elite and most of the wiring was the same, so i basically took whatever he didnt want. I grabbed the key cyl thinking maybe i could rig it uppp.

plugs are obv different

Decided to teach my wife how to solder on this projecto, she did great!

Good as new, if not better? Now we can start the thing. If it starts anyway?!

I still need to dial in the af16 and do chops on both running bikes as well as change contras, so as I get time ill be working on this dumpster baby.

I have a good battery from the elite, starter relay, speedo cable (hope its long enough), and throttle cable, so it should be enough parts to make this thing roll down the road.
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1985 "Trash Aero" project

Post by Meatball »

Anything can be restored with enough “want”. I have a bunch of parts bikes that have Af05’s in them if you need some random bits along the way. No Aero’s tho...all my stuff is Elite.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Meatball wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm Anything can be restored with enough “want”. I have a bunch of parts bikes that have Af05’s in them if you need some random bits along the way. No Aero’s tho...all my stuff is Elite.
A PA carb and gasket would be welcomed as would a plastic shroud and matching fan. I would be willing to pay obv
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

PM
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Thanks to meatball and harley racer I have most of the parts needed to get this thing moving again. Now I just need the time.
motormike

Post by motormike »

nateberrier wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:13 pm Thanks to meatball and harley racer I have most of the parts needed to get this thing moving again. Now I just need the time.
Will this bike be getting that sweet front panel. ?... :naughty:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

motormike wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:09 am
nateberrier wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:13 pm Thanks to meatball and harley racer I have most of the parts needed to get this thing moving again. Now I just need the time.
Will this bike be getting that sweet front panel. ?... :naughty:
I think i incorrectly credited folks, mr harley just tries to get me to buy exhausts haha

But yea I was gonna put it on my kitted ride, but I think this trash boi is gonna get the sweet new panel :2thumbs:
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Pulled ole trash boi out for some work yesterday.

Took the back half apart for cleaning and to clean up a rusty spot where battery acid ate up the frame a bit. Its sitll solid, just dont want the rust to get worse. Not sure if I want to put the AF16 on here or pull the AF05 on the white scoot and use it/sell this one as a stock runner. I dunno what I could even get out of it.

Krud Kutter works extremely well for removing old grime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcUnst5qlqU

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Heres how it looks painted up
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Good as new!
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I didnt take good pics of the shidbird when I worked on it last weekend, but I painted over the overspray on the floor panel, cleaned the busted up farings, pulled out the NOS front cover, did some zip tie stitching on the cracked plastics for the right side. Tore it all down to nothing basically. I need to get some tires put on, hopefully this weekend.

Goal is to get my AF16 build going and stuff it under this turd if not only temporarily.

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Update again.

Ive been at Microsoft Conferences the last week, but managed to put some work in. I decided this bike should be good enough for my AF16 build if not only temporarily.

The Aero mount worked in the past , but the Fabrizi pipe I got hits the frame. I remembered trying to use the stock elite mount, but it didnt dampen correctly. The Elite mount was also longer than the aero mount. Figured this might be a better solution than hacking the frame.

My phone died and I didnt get after pictures, but basically i trimmed the tongue to miss the inside of the frame and drilled a hole to put the bottom rubber foot from teh aero mount on.

Took a few times trimming and test fitting but eventually, success!

I also decided to use an elite brake light since im missing one and using part out stuff is way cheaper.

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Looking good! I rebuilt an SE50 in about that rough of shape... came out great when finished.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Didnt plan on it, but ended up doing some additional work on the thing this weekend.

This was supposed to be a winter build, but Im so impatient that Its basically all happening at once lol.

I was able to convert to an SA50 brake panel. I also had a 90/90 tire mounted to a Honda Metropolitan wheel. I figured a larger set of tires and tubeless might be the way to go for a scoot that will be taking some punishment.

Tire seems to fit, and once I got the brake panel back together, it went pretty smooth. Downside is that the wheel is pretty bent :confused:

It wobbles about half an inch side to side. I still rode on it some but yknow not great at 40mph.

I have a rear met wheel too on another scoot that Ill move over at some point.

I took the thing for a couple test runs, It rips. The tire in the front doesnt seem to rub, just wobbly. I did have an issue with the spark plug smacking into the plastic mud guard, which left me pushing a few times. Cut some of it out, but I may need to remove the whole tab and zip tie it or something. any clearance would be good at this point.

To get it road ready, I had to install a helicoil for the exhaust too. That wasnt too bad, but not my favorite thing to deal with when its cold out.

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »