2001 Elite S

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Re: 2001 Elite S

Post by kingearwig »

odinxxix wrote:my suzuki FA50 doesnt have a fan either, but the motor is completly exposed to the outside air. our hondas are wrapped in plastics so could this be the reason for the fan? and since the honda motors were designed to need the fan and not running one with cause catastrophic failure.
This thread would seem to prove that it doesn't have anything to do with the plastics.
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

fightingplankton wrote: here he is again

Another sighting!
Attachments
earwig.jpg
earwig.jpg (82.14 KiB) Viewed 6944 times
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

Saved wrote:Another sighting!
:roll:
Wheelman-111

Fan-Free Seizure

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'm sorry it seized; I was really rootin' for ya! :) Couple facts:

1. You ran it without a fan.
2. It seized.

Applying logic, it might seem like those two are in a cause-and-effect relationship, but wait: I seized one running with a fan. There is good reason to speculate, but no proof that your fan-freedom caused the calamity. Using that same over-simplified logic, one could say Flash 4 holed his piston because I did run a fan! The lack o' shroud probably contributed to your catastrophe, but there could have been other factors.

That said, all the free-air-cooled engines engines depicted, including Beloved Harley-Davidson, were designed by EAK* to run that way. If one could adapt a cylinder and head assembly with larger, thinner cooling fins oriented to take full advantage of the airflow direction sans fan on an open-box scooter like yours, I'm confident it could operate sustainably without forced air. Unfortunately such cylinders and heads may not exist unless you cast 'em yourself. Maybe simpler to use a proven design from Honda-san's own.

(* Engineers with Actual Knowldege)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
frknlo87
Noob
Noob

Post by frknlo87 »

How bad is the motor?
PM if you wanna get rid of it.
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

I've got a 1999 SA50P parts bike I could sell you. The shroud is included. The smaller piece broke, but all it needs is super glue. No plastics. It runs, but needs a new petcock, airbox, lockset, and the carb mounting bolts. It's in a few pieces due to working a bit on it. 5k miles. I'm in the Merrillville area.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

DorkoElite303 wrote:LOL, you guys really know how to kick a guy when he is down. Here you go. There are other websites that sell oem stuff, but bike bandit came to mind first.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... sr/o/m2494

So I didn't find what I need there. Am I missing something
Any help here would be great I can't find the piston I need.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

so here is the update. After the piston melted to the cylinder
I attempted to find another piston for it and found one that was 50mm with the right wrist pin to top of piston measurement, but the skirt length was too long. so using a bench grinder and a set of files I made the skirt the same size and shape as the original piston.
After this the only significant difference between the two was the port size

apparently the larger port size necessitated a jet of epic proportions.... it is near 190.

All was great until the wrist pin clip came out and ruined the bore and piston... I honed the bore and it looks ok except for one scratch. looks like it is about .25 mm bigger now. I am guessing it would run but have crappy compression. I am going to keep it as a spare.
I bought this kit yesterday. Hopefully it will be here fri... or sat. I can't wait to go 55+.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

The RIK piston on the left, and the Tiawan YTP piston on the right, can be used in the 50mm rumia bore.

The YTP piston skirts are way to long and do need trimmed down. But the boost port holes being in a different spot did not seem to be an issue.

Hey kingearwig, did the head get damaged when the wristpin clip came out?

I will buy your spare 50mm head, if it's OK.

I need an extra one for a project I am working on. LMK

Good job on shaving that piston down. It looks great, and I know how much work it takes to get it to fit. :2thumbs:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

it was damaged a little bit... but very it was minor... I kinda want it as a spare but if the price is right... what is your offer? I will take a pic tomorrow.

Do you think the boost port holes caused me to need the huge main jet? the only other difference is that I replaced the by starter which failed. I guess it could be that the by starter was acting up for a long time. Is that normal to need an almost 2mm hole in the main jet?
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

Trafficjamz wrote:Good job on shaving that piston down. It looks great, and I know how much work it takes to get it to fit. :2thumbs:
Thanks! :D
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

if you ever have to shave the skirt on a piston again,be more careful grinding.aply less pressure.I see a crack on the window on the right at about 7 o'clock on the port hole. If that is a crack, your lucky that piece didn't break off and mess up your crank and block.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

your right about the crack but I was very careful.... I wonder if that didn't happen when the cir clip rattled around in the boost port...
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

nope! thats from grinding the skirt. I know because i've done that before.the vibration of the grinding stone and applying to much pressure will crack the piston like that. the only way ti not let that happen is use a dremel instead of a bench grinder.use the round sanding bit for the dremel. the bench grinder stone is to rough.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

bakaracer wrote:nope! thats from grinding the skirt. I know because i've done that before.the vibration of the grinding stone and applying to much pressure will crack the piston like that. the only way ti not let that happen is use a dremel instead of a bench grinder.use the round sanding bit for the dremel. the bench grinder stone is to rough.
I used the magic stick on mine
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight