Saratoga Spree~!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Saratoga Spree~!

Post by fastplastic »

C Jerome wrote:Bear, perhaps you have misinterpreted what I wrote. I did not say I knew all about the scooters now or that I do not need help. I said its not helpful to say "did you read the manual?".
What is helpful are comments like KillinSpree's above that offer some additional direction or narration. If everyone could just do it from the manual then we would not have all these great online forums for hobbyists to meet, discuss and learn from each other.

Jerome
i wrote did you ever happen to download the manual exact words dude :2thumbs:
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Keep me posted jerome. Glad to help anytime!
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
nytelyte
Noob
Noob

Post by nytelyte »

That "powered by pixie dust" is the most beautiful spree I have ever seen! I just started working on my newly purchased Spree today. It came without an ignition key, so I ordered an ignition off Ebay for it. Not only did I get it torn down enough to replace the switch, but now I am following some Ideas I got from Jerome. I took most the plastic off and have it in the laundry room to go in the deep sink for cleaning. I have a long way to go on this project!
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Thanks lol i let the girlfriend put all the thought into the tinkerbell spree. The "powered by pixy dust" decal and "tink" liscense plate is what makes it pretty cool.
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Spent time on Tuesday trying to iron out the issues.
I think I had success with the front wheel. I took it all apart again and checked the speedo cable. Its working, I got the wheel to spin enough to watch the needle go up and down. I re cleaned the spacer and greased it more. After looking at how it goes together, I think my issue may have been that I was not lining up the notches on the wheel with the white speedo thing. Its possible that last time I just put the wheel back on the hub not realizing that the notches need to line up with/inset with the white speedo wheel thing. When done right I think the wheel seats better.

I was playing with the front break and adjusted the nut so that there is no chaffing of the pad when the wheel spins. When adjusted correctly I feel like the break lever can be pulled too close to the hand grip. I need to check the wear indicator to see if new pads are needed.

Onto the carb... so last time I fired the scooter up and it turned on but it bogged at throttle, so I thought this time I will take the carb apart for another cleaning. I took it off and cleaned it again and put it back on making sure to set the screws to stock before adjusting anything. Note for the '86 the manual says 1.5 screws out for the air screw. I put it all back together and rolled it outside for some testing. It would not start at first and I realized I had left the drain screw open, woops. Screwed it back in after priming the carb and it started right up. I let it idle for a little then increased the revs some and let it run. Then I tried to go for a slow ride on the drive way. I think pulled okay right at first but then the power dies out, with higher throttle it starts to stall out.
I did a little research before starting, noting my issue last time. What I read indicated that it could be still a carb not quite clean, vacuum leak around the airbox, poor compression or ...? I cleaned the carb, fitted the hoses but have not checked compression yet as I need to borrow a tester.
Any other ideas of what it could be or remedies? I know I need to check the compression and I guess clean the carb again?

One thing I was a little paranoid about was if the oil pump was working. I had taken it out to clean it when I first started this project and it looked good. For these first few starts I have used a light premix because I was not 100% sure the pump was doing its thing and did not want to be screwed! When I put the carb back on on Tuesday I put a little air in the oil line(first shot top right of the hose you can see the difference in color where the bubble is) to watch if the bubble would be pushed out by the pump, check out the photo series, it speaks for it's self.

Turnsignals... Tried switching the original relay in and still only solid light, no flashing. I have to track down the ground issue in the front.

Jerome

'86 Spree & '00 Tomos Targa Moped
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Will a wiry g harnes from a 84 work on my 86? Are there any differences? I can't find this ground issue with the turn signals and I found a 84 harness in good condition for cheap.

Jerome
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

There are a few subtle differences between the 2 harnesses'.

First off the 86 had a 3-wire fuel sender. The 84 had a 2-wire.

Also the bystarter had bullet connectors on the 84 and plastic clip on the 86.

There might be a couple of other small things I cant remember but they are a little different.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Will a wiry g harnes from a 84 work on my 86? Are there any differences? I can't find this ground issue with the turn signals and I found a 84 harness in good condition for cheap.
Wire Harness 1984/1985 <> 1986 <> 1987
They are quite a bit different. Headlight, Left control and more.

For more info "click me" ---> Check out our Spree compatibility thread. Also consult the wiring diagrams between the models. That's how most of the compatibilty work got traced, and there are probably more observations to collect.

-- mousewheels
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

I think I figured out the issue I was having with the carb/engine not running properly. Before I did anything I tried to run the scooter some outside, same issue as before. I took the carb apart and cleaned it again, when I put it back on I really tightened the filter intake ring down. I started it up and it runs great, I tooled around the driveway with no problem, down the block and back, worked great.
I was used to my Tomos where that clamp ring does not get tightened as much. Seems like this was the issue. I also noticed when I had the carb apart this time that it looks like it was dropped at some point as there is a deformation/flat spot on the air intake side.

The remaining issue I have now is with getting the turn signals to flash. With engine on, and turn signal switched I still just get one click and a solid light on one side, no flashing action. Have to work on finding the ground. What I still dont get is why it did not work when I ran a ground wire direct from the battery to the signal.
I also made a better retainer clip thing for the petcock cover, which fortunately was with the scooter when I bought it. The stock one seems like it does not overlap quite enough for a secure lock. What are other people doing to ensure they dont loose this part while riding. Has anyone made a little leash or something with fishing line?

I cant wait to put the plastics on and give the final polish!
Jerome
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

It lives! :2thumbs:
Great to hear ya had sucess and its runnin good man!
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Along with the turn signal flashing, or lack there of my other issue before putting plastics on is getting the tires to mount properly.
I put new tubes and tires on the wheels. The bead is not mounting equally around the edge. I had this issue with my moped tire when I changed it last summer and solved it by using ivory soap as a lube and over inflating the tube to pop the bead into position. It took a few times inflating and deflating to get it right.
Not helping the situation is the munchkin who designed these tires with little clearance above the valve. There is only this one type of air fitting that will work to fill the tires. All the bike pumps and regular car ones I have tried are too large to fit. Just now while looking for a picture of the fitting that will work, to post, I came across this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI ... PDKIKX0DER adaptor that I think I will pick up one and see if it works, then I can just go to the local gas station and use their big compressor to fill up the tires instead of messing around with the slow 12v one.

If I can not track down the issue with the turn signals, I am going to put a new wiring harness in. What is a reasonable price for an '86 harness?

Jerome
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Different stem size? What kind of tubes did you buy cause ill fill up my truck tires and go fill the spree tires with the same fitting. Thats odd :crazy:
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

that adpater is so you can change the angle of your existing valve stem.....pretty sure all valve stems are the same size your just not doing it right........
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

I have the right tubes, I ordered with the new tires from the dealer. I know they are a standard schrader valve. What I am complaining about is the length of the valve stem and the lack of clearance between the top of the stem and the edge of the center of the rim right above, making it difficult to use most airpumps. This is the type of compressor fitting that would make the job easy, just the silver part there that lets youfill from either way.
http://www.toolking.com/media/catalog/p ... 85db_1.jpg

Yes, the adptor is an aid to use to fill a tire or it also makes it easier when changing the pressure in your mountain bike forks. You don't leave it o. All the time, just when you are filling. I will have to take some pics to better illustrate my issue.

I am going to work on tracking the ground issue on Sunday, I found a local motorsports guy who can help me. I will also get the tires done.

Jerome
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

I worked on the tires today and tried some straight up ivory soap to lube the beads, it worked pretty well and they are more even than before. I did use the 90 degree adaptor that I posted above, I would recommend it to anyone having an issue with filling the little tires. I should be able to get them really even when I take it to a gas station with a big compressor.
I also worked on the turn signals. I followed the directions in this thread http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =3&t=17710 on how to check the grounds. I started in the rear and everything checked right, never more than 4/10 of a volt. kept moving to the front and did not find any issues, I was just touching the wiring harness near where the front signals plug in and the lights started blinking. Wow! I could not find the issue, there must be a fault or something in there, but when I left it was working, hopefully it will still be good tomorrow.
I spent the rest of the tome putting all the plastics on. I have to buy the two screws that hold the cover over horn on, one acorn for the rack and the screw to hold the leg guard near the ignition.

Next step is getting insurance and registration.

Jerome