2001 Elite S

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Re: 2001 Elite S

Post by kingearwig »

well turns out my bottom end bearings wont be here for a while so I will just grind those gears off... i'll post pics
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

ALSO does anyone have any base gaskets for sale? I would go for 3-4 depending on the price. I had detonation issues before until I ran high octane... I would like to avoid that.
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

kingearwig wrote:well turns out my bottom end bearings wont be here for a while so I will just grind those gears off... i'll post pics
Why even bother asking for advice when you're going to half-azz your machine as always? :crazy:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

traffic i was saying the quarters thing, someone suggested him, was a joke. you know i was the only one who said that.
and how's grinding gears off half azzing. i mean half of you do it. isn't that exactly how you turn off the pump. if there was plugs from vtcycles. i mean does he always, half azz. way to read.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

trains420 wrote:traffic i was saying the quarters thing, someone suggested him, was a joke. you know i was the only one who said that.
and how's grinding gears off half azzing. i mean half of you do it. isn't that exactly how you turn off the pump. if there was plugs from vtcycles. i mean does he always, half azz. way to read.
The big money plug started as a joke.......but it actually works! :*:

You have to put in a rubber o ring between the pennines and the quarters though. :thumbwink:

If grinding off the gears is half azzin' ....well whatever it works. :smile:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

I spit the case using the harmonic balancer puller from autozone. Worked great. Now the bearings are stuck to the crank... how do I get the one off that is almost touching the big part of the crank?

I also cleaned up the crank case with engine degreaser, carb cleaner, and a scotch brite pad. looks pretty descent

also started the boost port work. I have been using a file and a hack saw. pretty soft stuff. I will have to finish with the old magic stick though... the file wont get into some of the places I want get into.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

You need a puller like the one in link below.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... -3979.html
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

will the "heat and beat" method work here?
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

kingearwig wrote:will the "heat and beat" method work here?
thats a good way to damage the crank or bend it.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

From what I see, both bearings on a crank.
sound like the cases had lots of miles.

the crank bearings need to be tight into both crank case.

if bearings dont hold good on case, then ,need to get another crank cases.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

evilone wrote:You need a puller like the one in link below.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... -3979.html
I now own one of these, but the first time I needed one I just went to a Midas locally and they used their bearing separator on my crank for free.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have the bearing separator shown above. The price is considerably less than a good one from Snap-On. That's because it isn't a good one...

It needs a lot of work to get it to "bite" under the bearing. The edges are very blunt and it tends just to crush the outer race rather than peeling it away from the crank flywheel. I honed mine to a knife-edge and still had trouble getting it to slip under the bearing.

Regardless of the quality of the puller, the removal process may in any case damage the bearing beyond reliable usability. Side loads on ball bearings can be harmful. Consider replacement for about $40 for Honda NTNs as cheap insurance.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I have the bearing separator shown above. The price is considerably less than a good one from Snap-On. That's because it isn't a good one...

It needs a lot of work to get it to "bite" under the bearing. The edges are very blunt and it tends just to crush the outer race rather than peeling it away from the crank flywheel. I honed mine to a knife-edge and still had trouble getting it to slip under the bearing.

Regardless of the quality of the puller, the removal process may in any case damage the bearing beyond reliable usability. Side loads on ball bearings can be harmful. Consider replacement for about $40 for Honda NTNs as cheap insurance.
the bearings are in the mail... maybe... turns out cyclepartswarehouse.com doesn't actually house any wares... they have to wait to get it from honda then send it to me

my motocross buddy says to just heat the inner race carefully and then pry with a screwdriver and they should pop off.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

veedubh20 wrote:From what I see, both bearings on a crank.
sound like the cases had lots of miles.

the crank bearings need to be tight into both crank case.

if bearings dont hold good on case, then ,need to get another crank cases.
This is true it has 8000+ and they look spun. I am not getting another case... can you think of anything I can do to half azz it?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Kingearwig:
This is true it has 8000+ and they look spun. I am not getting another case... can you think of anything I can do to half azz it?
Couple wraps of duct tape around the outer race always works for me... :wink:
Seriously, if the bearing's spun it may not come off the crank as easily as your friend suggested. I had one that resisted all my rocks and pointy sticks. Took it to Honda-san and he did no better. He eventually used a cutting wheel and peeled it off in segments with a chisel. I coulda done that...
If I absolutely, positively had to reassemble those cases, I'd consider a couple dots of the Slow JB weld to the outer races before hammerin' them in. However the Right Thing to Do is to replace the crankcases.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH