Aero-Ped (standup 86 Aero 50)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Re: Aero-Ped (standup 86 Aero 50)

Post by surfnturf »

JVC wrote:What are you doing with all the spare parts? I was thinking about trying to get that front panel and glovebox assembly and seeing if it would fit on a spree...

Let me know if you're parting out the stuff you took off of it.

Looks good though!
-John

Private message sent!
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Post by surfnturf »

More pics, took it for a shakedown run today, 30+ miles a no problems. Excuse the duct tape, taillight came a little loose and I just wanted to make sure it'd hold on for the ride (which it did no problem).

mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

i admit - i have bouts of eccentricity.

i like this look.
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Post by surfnturf »

mookie wrote:i admit - i have bouts of eccentricity.

i like this look.

Look aside, it rides so well! I am 210lbs so the weight reduction from losing the panels/accesories is huge!
capturedbyrobots
Goped
Goped

Post by capturedbyrobots »

You must paint it now!!!! :wink:

With just some good paint choices, it will look so much better.
lol..at least match the rims. :)

I would love to see the frame be a dark color to make that
handlebar extension disappear a bit.
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Videos!

Post by surfnturf »

Here's a few videos of me riding it, not the best, but hey, why not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFk8Ts1IvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsSfCnlyYQ
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

So you did a 30+mile day on it? What was the avg/top speed like? How does it handle on turns?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Post by surfnturf »

Yeah, I've actually done at least 10 miles or so on it everyday, it is addictive! Once I get on it I just make excuses to ride places, merely to enjoy the trip. I probably averaged over 25mph for the 30+ mile ride, with top end (tucked in on the flats) around 40mph. The handling is very good and balanced, but it is of utmost importance to realize that your hips and feet/legs do 90% of the balancing and handling work. It is an extremely relaxing ride though, makes standard stand up "Go-Peds" just feel small, slow and frantic. It's like putting a Fiat 500 next to a Cadillac Eldorado, the Go-Ped is small, jittery, ultra nimble and light, the AeroPed is a big mile muncher that has some power behind it for the open road and a cushy ride for (the many) nasty bumps and dips.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

:lol: Grown up go-ped! I like it :D
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

that is one goped i would totally rock, sure does look more stable with scooter wheels and frame. and the fire extinguisher gas tank.. nice touch :)
projects galore :nerd:
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Post by surfnturf »

burnt_toast wrote:that is one goped i would totally rock, sure does look more stable with scooter wheels and frame. and the fire extinguisher gas tank.. nice touch :)
Thanks for the compliments! It rides way better than any Go-Ped/standup scooter I've ever ridden. The roads around here are pretty poor and nothing beats a good old fashioned long travel spring and shock. I have to defer to the inventor of this type of ride for the extinguisher tank idea though, it was totally his and works beyond my wildest expectations both in looks and functionality/capacity.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Amazing. I just hope nobody tries to put out a fire with your fire extinguisher. :woot:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Post by surfnturf »

Lunytune wrote:Amazing. I just hope nobody tries to put out a fire with your fire extinguisher. :woot:

Haha, yeah, that wouldn't go very well with a gallon of 91 octane in the tank! I love the design of the machine though, and am about to put on a 3.00/10 rear tire to match the front and drop in a Ruckus variator while at it.
lineage404
Noob
Noob

Post by lineage404 »

ok i wont lie that is bad *. i would drive that thing around everywhere lol. i would just worrie about my legs getting tired lol
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Post by surfnturf »

Just put the Ruckus variator and 01 Elite 8.5g weights in it. The Bando "Honda Matic" belt looked just fine, no cracking or abnormal wear. The old variator was a grease trap lol, but apparently you don't need grease with this variator or rollers, and it seems to work fine.

On the maiden voyage I passed many cars on a street where 40mph is about the minimum, and the acceleration (except for a little flat spot from 15-18 or so) is much improved as well. I also have a 3.00/10 Kenda on the rear as well, so both tires now match in size. I'll get some pics of it soon. Last mod will be to hook up the speedo cable, just need to find a longer one!

Thanks for the ongoing compliments. As far as leg comfort goes, it's not nearly as bad as you'd think. The deck is spacious and the scooter runs and rides super smooth. It's light years ahead of any Go-Ped style stand up scooter I've ridden in this regard (the elastomer suspended Go-Ped GTR comes close though) and I take it on long rides often. I can't wait to go for a good hour or so with my GPS tomorrow and see if it really touches 45 like I think it does.