Millenium Aero

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: Millenium Aero

Post by devenex »

OK, the first real update in a while!

Today I've been working on the euro tail setup and have got everything fitting together.

The thread below was the genesis of the inspiration, but I thought a few more in depth pics might come in handy for future folks interested in the mod.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 1&start=30

First my beat to * rear combo light housing:

Now a shot of the wonderful piece of plastic that will make everything look so much better:

The plastic tabs on the top don't line up, so some plastic needs to be ground down (full size images have circles around what needs grinding for clarity):

Now a shot of where things don't line up so well (full size image has arrows pointing to gaps):

The above pic shows the gaps on the right hand side, which are the same as on the left. Looks like they result from some subtle differences in contour between the US and Euro models.

Now this is what it will look like put together with the plate covering the flap that was bitten off by a t-rex:

Now I need to figure out how I'll configure the brake/tail light into the housing with a LED bulb (in the thread above akscoot did this and found the stock incandescent bulb will start to melt the plastic). I'm also toying with the idea of LED turn signals. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on this please feel free to post them, I'm not set on any idea yet.

No pics but some other things I've done in the last month were install SA50 front brake cable and tighten up the handlebars (there was some play in them). I also inspected the bearings for the front forks and they looked great, so just the nut holding the bars on needed to be tightened. I also got the blinkers working by putting in a flasher from an autostore.

In addition to finishing the rear lighting, I also need to replace the motor bushings and install an '87 elite motor mount in place of my temporary setup. The oil pump has been leaking, so I will be replacing that with one I got a great deal on from a forum member here. Goodbye super smokey starts! :coolcruise:
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
natek
Goped
Goped

Post by natek »

Fishman43 wrote:What amazes me is the $/mod these guys pay... not to mention the original purchase price! :crazy:
most of the guys who have build threads can go waaayy overboard. they swap in built gy6's so they can hit 50..... when they can do that with the stock engine with a variator, cone filter, and re-jet. i have a ruckus and am working on a low-buck build. but i got a spree cuz the scooter seen bug bights pretty hard lol
85 honda spree
07 honda ruckus
05 acura rsx typeS (sold)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Solid Answer?

Post by martynkim »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The Uni did not work as well as the stock airbox at 50cc. With a bore kit, I was unable to find acceptable jetting using the stock box.

The Elite box should fit behind the Aero's panels. If you stay at 50cc jet up to 82. Maybe 85 with gears and a vario.

85 is best on the Aero bone stock
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Update on the euro-tail swap...DONE!

What I did to get the brake light in place was first disassemble the stock tail/brake light and remove the reflector/bulb housing. This required some cutting as its actually adhered into place:

Then I cut a hole to place it in. NOTE: The hole ended up much larger than in the pics below, the camera disappeared for some of the time I was finishing this up.

Next the reflector requires some cutting to help it fit under the lens (again, requires more cutting than shown):

Next I procured some LED bulbs to use, since there were reports of incandescent brake/tail bulbs overheating the cover. I also went all out and got a LED license plate light and LED flasher bulbs. The stock housing for the brake light is a dual contact 1157 bulb and the blinkers are single contact 1156's. For what its worth I bought all of them from superbrightleds.com:

Ultimately what I did was cut out the stock license bulb housing and use small machine screws and nuts to secure the sealed LED unit in its place. Cut the unit into the wiring and was good to go after using some caulk to seal around it. Unfortunately no pics of this process (missing camera), but here is a shot of the final assembly on the bike:

Two screws on the bottom and a pair of zip ties on the sides are what I used to secure the cover.

All the lights work perfectly, although for some reason I couldn't do LED flasher bulbs in front and back as this made all 4 flash at the same time no matter which direction was activated. But 2 LEDs in back and 2 incandescent up front works.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
rpmalerba56
Noob
Noob

Post by rpmalerba56 »

Hello, new memeber here. I joined to say thank you so much for the information about the euro combination lens. I ordered it on eBay and just got it. When I realized the yellow turn lens were not as wide as the USA version I came up with this idea to cut out just the black section i need so it looks correct for the model. I used a dremal and file. Hope this helps others.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (94.02 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (216.93 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (246.55 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
rpmalerba56
Noob
Noob

Post by rpmalerba56 »

Sorry for the huge pics. I then heated the reflector lens and took that off the original part and siliconed it to the new painted part. Finished product.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 4301 times