Millenium Aero

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

devenex
Elite
Elite

Millenium Aero

Post by devenex »

This project involves a poor neglected '85 Aero that I bought off Craigslist for $50. I'll be swapping an af16e motor from a 2001 Elite onto it as well as restoring some hacked electrical and damaged/missing panels.

Day it was picked up
Front (note no blinkers):

Didn't have rear plastics then:

Suspiciously stock black under headlight:

Motor pics:
No exhaust, carb or wheel on:

Other side:
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: Millenium Aero

Post by devenex »

Previously done work: Cleaning and engine removal, sorry no pics for this. Also forgot to say everything will be clickable thumbs, you're welcome one remaining 56k guy ;)

Work done today: Installed keyed ignition and changed out lock on glove box to match. Parts for this purchased from wheelman-111, Flash lives on! Also removed stock engine plugs and soldered af16e plug in its place. Cut the "new" plug from a harness I bought off eliteguy50.

No motor!:

Or Front!:

Flash transplants:

"New" motor plug:

Those went great but I also have to swap the CDI + connector from the elite harness onto the Aero. Orange circles are over the cut wires (visible ones in the pic anyway) for the CDI. I want to verify that red arrow points where coil sits (waiting on mine to come in mail, so can't physically check yet) and that pink arrow points where CDI sits (Elite one is slightly smaller, but fits there). Can anyone tell me if I'm right? (Must click thumbnail to see what I drew on for some reason)

Also have a broken exhaust mount bolt on the motor that I can't get out myself. Broke my easy out! Probably have to take this to a shop :(
Wheelman-111

Broken Bolt Blues

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'm following this build with interest.

Oh no, the broken bolt blues! Something to turn a three-minute disassembly into a three-hour ordeal. Aluminum corroding around steel can be pretty bad. I wish I had rememembered to slather some Nev-R-Seize on every such interface, including the spark plug - were it not for the fact that it comes out every couple hours...

Breaking a hardened tool in the bolt adds a level of complexity. That leaves heating the crankcase and perhaps welding a grippable extension to the bolt... Sorry for your struggles.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

In my case the motor came with it. Don't believe the ebay seller mentioned it either. I don't have a torch, welder or welding skills, so looks like someone will make some $$$ from this. Still worth it to me though ;)

Now I panned through the manual last night and know where to put the CDI ( I was right w/ the pink arrow) but the red arrow was wrong. That part is for routing wires, apparently the coil goes on the Aero's airbox (aer-box :)). No big deal to find a new spot for that though.

What I am wondering about is whether the Elite airbox will fit under the Aero plastics. When wheelman tested his stock elite he found that a uni filter just added noise and dropped top speed a smidge, making me rethink my plan to use a unifilter and up-jet accordingly. Anyone have a solid answer for me?
Wheelman-111

Solid Answer?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Uni did not work as well as the stock airbox at 50cc. With a bore kit, I was unable to find acceptable jetting using the stock box.

The Elite box should fit behind the Aero's panels. If you stay at 50cc jet up to 82. Maybe 85 with gears and a vario.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Thx Wheelman! I'll go for the box then, as the plan is to stay w/ stock cylinder.

I have an OKO variator for it and the exhaust will be Jesse's old 26mm R1. I'll see how it runs w/ stock gearing first, as I do need to climb a hill from time to time.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Just spent the past 2 days cleaning out a petcock I got off ebay. Was clogged with rust/mud all the way to the threads :shock:, but its clear now and the diaphragm dis-engages under vacuum. Simply amazing what paper clips, q-tips and gasoline can accomplish.

No real exciting pics for that, but because I don't like to update w/o pics here some other things to take a looksy at...

Jesse's old R1 and a chrome kickstart lever purchased from bakaracer:

OKO variator and roller pack that came w/ it:
JoshKamp330
Noob
Noob

Post by JoshKamp330 »

Awesome job. Looks like mine when I got it. Keep us posted
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

i'm jealous of you areo owners, the dio fits better under the body than sprees. :roll:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I've got Flash's heart beating in my Spree :thumbwink:
Wheelman-111

Flashy Spree?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So Flash lives again? I must've missed it. I'd be interested in your top speed in a frame that's 35 pounds lighter! Can you GPS and tell?
Wheelman-111
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Something tells me it'll not be much different as I weigh at least 35lbs more than you :lol:
Wheelman-111

Gain Weight Without Diet or Exercise!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth B-Three:
Something tells me it'll not be much different as I weigh at least 35lbs more than you
Ah, but not for long:

Wheelman's Guide to Fighting Wrinkles Through Obesity
- Available at fine bookstores and on Amazon.com.

See Chapter 3: The All-Butter and Vodka Diet
Wheelman-111
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

wheelman make sure you can hold the bottle of vodka after handeling that butter. LOL :lol: cant wait to see the final product, i like those aeros just cant find one here that is in good enuff shape to even work on. last one i found had piston melted in to the cylinder, was a mess chunks and chips all up in there.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Well if you can find an Aero w/ complete body panels you'd start ahead of where I did. Regardless of how bad the motor was (you can almost always get a good deal on an af05). As for this little guy, I don't know if the original motor ran, but currently its just sitting in my closet as I have bigger plans :naughty: