Millenium Aero

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: Millenium Aero

Post by devenex »

He puts some very nice stuff together. Never ceases to amaze me how those Met/Ruck guys NEVER stop modding their builds LOL

I guess I'll have to tease them in ~5yrs when I'm done with my Aero :coolcruise:
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

What amazes me is the $/mod these guys pay... not to mention the original purchase price! :crazy:
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

yeah they have some guy over there that has like 6k in the motor alone.
CH80
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I don't have that into the Subaru wagon I use to go pick up my CL finds, let alone all of the scoots combined (3 to date, working on a guy for #4, and would still be below by a long shot ;-)
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

devenex wrote:Look what the UPS guy brought by today:

Have to give my complements to Efeezhee of totalruckus for (very) quickly handling his end of the transaction.
Are those polished?
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

bradthreee wrote:Are those polished?
No, they're powdercoated w/ very low mileage. Really going to stand out when compared to the rest of the scooter LOL
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

So yesterday I crimped the coil on and finished assembling the motor with the hopes of doing a test fire. Unfortunately the kickstarter was a no-go and I don't have a battery for it :(. In addition I noticed that the kicker cover was broken, so all-around it was a bad end to the day.

I didn't really have enough light left to check it out yesterday, so today I took off the belt covers and took a peek to find a worn down half-moon gear in the kicker. The motor turned by hand and turning the clutch bell turned the wheel easily.

The inside is pretty rusty and the belt seems sort of loose, but it looks like all I'm in need of a new kicker-cover (was planning on replacing belt when I put new variator on).

Also some new potential clearance issues have developed, the top of the airbox hits the Aero's inner plastics and the R1 muffler MAY (have only eyeballed so far) be in the way of the outer plastic body panel going back on. I think a longer rear shock (like the 270mm Daywot sells) might fix the airbox issue without needing to cut the precious plastic. Not sure about the R1 pipe though. Maybe bend it down a little and make a mounting bracket?

Broken cover:

Stripped kicker gear:

Airbox clearance issue:
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Finally was able to get some work done today, but not much as it started to rain after about an hour. I got the Met rear wheel on, bolted the exhaust up and slapped on the kicker I got from ebay. Gave it a kick, no start and kicker stuck down!!! :*:

Well after using some WD40 to get the kicker going I checked for spark, nice and blue, so I sucked on the vacuum line to make sure the carb bowl was good. Gave it another kick and it fired right up! Big cloud of smoke (and I mean big!) from the teaspoon of oil I put in the cylinder a week or two ago, but other than that and the idle running high RPMs it was great on the stand. At this point the rain was pretty steady so I packed everything up to call it a day.

Met rim w/ 90/90's fits great in the back, tomorrow I'll take pics, swap the ruckus shock on, and explore the front Met rim swap that everyone has been waiting so long for. I have all the parts so I can test fit everything (after test riding across the street in the empty parking lot :naughty:) and see what modifications will be needed.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

So today I FINALLY got around to trying the met wheel up front with poor results unfortunately. :confused:

The metro forks must be wider than the Aero's, so complete met setup (rim, brake and spacer) is too wide to simply be a bolt in replacement. Just for kicks I removed the spacer and bolted up to see the alignment and the wheel was well off center to the left (looking straight on from the front of the scooter).

So in order to mount with the met brake I'll have to widen the distance, but would it be possible to use a '94-'01 Elite brake instead (as this has been confirmed to fit Aero forks)?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The '94-up Elite rim and brake panel fits the Aero and the larger brake and wider rim are a worthwhile upgrade. Unknown if the panel fits the Met rim however. I'll know next week.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

I decided to jump on a '94 Elite brake panel on ebay, too good of a deal to pass on. So I'll be testing this out as well.

If this doesn't work I'll probably look into shaving down the Met panel and spacer as it seemed somewhat close to fitting.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

So today I got the front Metro rim mounted by using an Elite brake hub. Pics below:

Also replaced the broken brake handle:

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to mount the license plate:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice job fitting wider Met rim to your Aero! It also fits perfectly on all the Elite models, provided the 95mm Elite brake panel is also fitted. The larger width of the rim improves the shape of the bigger tires' profile. I never cared for the balloon shape of the 3.50 or 90/90 profile using the stock 1.85" wide rims. Tubelessness and the brake size are both worthwhile upgrades for speedy Aeros and early Elites too.

This gives me an idea for a "What Fits..." thread for Tech Docs. It could save others a lot of trial-and-error if the sum of Forum Wisdom could be compiled in one place.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
BlackHornet
Noob
Noob

Post by BlackHornet »

whatever came of this?
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Its still around. I've been quietly acquiring parts when I can afford them, but I haven't had a covered workspace sice I moved to Eugene, so the Spree and Aero have just been kept tarped.

This summer it will hit the road and be my main ticket around town!

EDIT: I guess I never told of how a buddy of mine didn't realize how much kick this thing has and wheelied it completely backwards smashing my shiny new black center plastic and the left signal lens. Now it wil be getting a Euro-style rear set (sitting in my loft now) and losing the (broken) rack!