Free 1987 NQ50 Spree Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Free 1987 NQ50 Spree Build

Post by Fixxxre »

Got my Spree for free from my neighbor who had let it sit in his back yard for the better part of the year. He had the original tires on it, and the rear one cracked so much, that the tube finally popped. He took it to Les Schwab, they said 300.00, for tires and installation :shock: Also told him that he would have to remove the rear tire to change it. :roll: He gave it to me, as I part out Jet Ski's and sell them on E-bay/Craigslist, and he thought I could sell it for parts.

First Pics after a quick clean:

I took it home, Some Gumout (The best thing ever invented as far as I am concerned) and cleaned it up a little, and it fired right up.

I did some research, found this great forum, and realized I could put the tire on, with a little moving of the muffler, and got two new tires, tubes, and rim protectors (at cost) 36.00. I went with 10-2.75, but think I will go bigger.

I got ahead of myself, and before doing my research, I ordered a CDI "No Rev Limiter", since found out on this forum, as well as using a digital RPM meter, this did not a thing for RPM. :oops:

It runs great, speedo says 32 on a flat surface, but I think that is probably wrong, it actually dropped a little bit after the new tires were on it (but it drove TOTALLY differently), and I assume that will affect the Speedo. I am going to try some run's this weekend with different tire pressures ( I have them at 36 PSI) and see if there is a difference, I am not expecting any huge gains. I am interested in removing the Air Box and going with a K&N that I pulled off a Ski here, I assume I would just need to make an adapter, any thoughts on this?

Basically, I am going to strip it down to frame, except for the middle front fender to keep the wires covered, and do some custom stuff body wise. I will try to fabricate some stuff from Jet Ski's to cover wires and stuff, but I would ultimately like to do a Yellow and Black scheme..Not really into doing too much to the engine, but I have read some stuff on here about porting, and I would like to do some sort of custom exhaust. There are some things in my catalog for off road bikes that I would like to add, including turn signals and headlights that will look pretty cool. I am trying not to go over $200, but it is just for fun anyways so if I do no biggie. I don't expect to sell it an make millions :D

I also part out Snowmobiles, and I took some Mirrors from a snowmobile and attached them, and took the rear shroud off so far. I am taking all the body off next weekend, so I am will post pictures as I go. I have a guy that works with us that is going to do a custom seat cover for me, no charge, so that will be pretty cool.

SOOOOOO any ideas as I go would be appreciated, and thanks for this AWESOME forum!!!!
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Free 1987 NQ50 Spree Build

Post by Bear45-70 »

First, nice find.

Second, DO NOT remove the stock air filter system unless you want to go experimenting like Videonut did. The engine will be worse off without the stock setup without major screwing around.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Bear45-70 wrote:First, nice find.

Second, DO NOT remove the stock air filter system unless you want to go experimenting like Videonut did. The engine will be worse off without the stock setup without major screwing around.
i agree. i've done plenty of experimentation and can tell you; at best, the custom intake will only work as well as a stock airbox, but with alot more racket.
you'll spend hours tinkering with it to get it right (or get it wrong, lean out your air/fuel mix, and ruin your engine) and see no real performance gain, all while making it sound more like a weed-whacker. :roll:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Post by Fixxxre »

Ok..thanks guys. I really want to take the rear cover fender off, so I guess I will just cut it off the air box? I have the front off, painting the forks yellow tonight, so I will put up some pics this week. :coolcruise:
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Don't cut the airbox dude. Its hard to find them now a days in decent shape. You'l regret it if you ever want the stock airbox again.
Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Post by Fixxxre »

I was just going to cut the fenderoff the airbox. Still not a good Idea? I am painting the wheels flat black, so I want them to be seen.

Also, anyone had any luck with this horn?

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3197. :rock:

I have seen the post on this forum about having to switch the horn button out, but this guy makes it sound like you swap and go.
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have a version of that horn on my Sportster. It's loud! :surprise:

However that dinky little thumb switch on your handlebar will last about 1 second trying to support the amps the horn pulls. The horn needs to be wired in with a relay, instructions for which are searchable in this very forum. The relay basically is a beefy switch that shunts battery power directly to the horn. As long as you keep your toots short, it should be fine.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Post by Fixxxre »

Ok, so the relay, AND another switch? Or just he relay BETWEEN the switch?
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

A relay between the switch and horn with a fused power lead off the battery +12 volts terminal to the relay for power for the horn.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
JoshKamp330
Noob
Noob

Post by JoshKamp330 »

That thing is pristine.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Bear45-70 wrote:A relay between the switch and horn with a fused power lead off the battery +12 volts terminal to the relay for power for the horn.
well put. :woot:
in short, it's just a big, heavy switch that is operated by another switch, the same basic circuit as the starter button.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Post by Fixxxre »

Ok, got the horn. 29.99 through my guy here at Schucks (O'reily's/Kragen/Checker) Came with a relay and diagram so I will put that in tonight. :woot:

If you are wondering why I am doing the painting the way I am, it is because we have a Early Fall Heatwave going on up here int he Great Pacific Northwest..85 yesterday, and it is supposed to be 75-85 through next week, so I wanted to put the front tire back on and ride it around. :coolcruise: I live real close to Lake Tapps, so it is about 25-35mph all around here.

I wire wheeled the footrest part, and sanded the forks. I am using spray on Undercoating on the bottom, and all over the foot area, figure that will protect it pretty well. I will tape off the yellow tonight and finish up the foot area with the undercoat so it is all black without the over spray. :thumbwink:

I am not worried about over spray, I plan on electrical taping all the wires, cables, etc, and as I progress to the back, I will tape off and paint as I go.

The horn cover is one of the few things I am leaving on, and it looks pretty cool with the horn painted yellow underneath, so I might just leave that on there.

I will take a picture tonight after I get it all back together, and post it tomorrow, along with my horn setup.
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50