1989 SE50 eliteR

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Quag
BMX
BMX

Re: 1989 SE50 eliteR

Post by Quag »

Well with the wheels back on i had to tackle the center stand. Straightening it was well straight forward. i just placed it in a vice applied heat with a torch and a bit of brute force applied at the right place and presto it was almost as straight as new. Almost no drama.... almost. Somehow i managed to torch myself. Yes even though i wore big gloves and tried to be careful i managed to somehow get the flame under the gloves onto my wrist. Well now i have a nice scar to always remind me of this scoot. Silly me. Now i had to make a new pin. Easy enough just got myself a lag bolt at the hardware store took the old angle grinder to it then the drill press to make a hole for the pin and presto all done. The damage to the frame took a bit more thought. Finally i found a bar of bent iron and with a lot of playing around with the old angle grinder i managed to fashion 2 brackets that fit nicely under and around the frame. I placed 1 bolt on each to hold them in place. they aren't very large or strong but ate just there to keep the brackets from vibrating around and ending up in sorry shape. As you can see there is a nice wide slab of the brackets going under the frame to take up all the weight when the scoot is on the center stand. A bit of black paint to make them look prettier and all done :woot:

Image Image
Quag
BMX
BMX

Post by Quag »

As there is a fair amount of plastic missing, usually the brackets where they attach to the frame or each other i had to make several brackets. This is the bracket i made to hold on the rear fender, it was held on by tie wraps when i got the scoot, not sure if tie wraps would pass inspection.

Note the use of aluminum to keep the weight down. Ok Ok i had some aluminum lying around.

The final problem i had was the mirrors. I bought OEM mirrors as i only had 1 ratty looking one on the scoot when i got it and well they were cheaper than after market ones. Only trouble was that someone had drilled out the and re tapped where the mirrors screwed in. After some thought i decided that a nut on top and underneath the brackets that hold the mirrors on would work. only trouble was i didn't have enough thread on the mirrors to fin do so with the nuts i have. So once again i got out my handy dandy angle grinder. By screwing 2 nuts on to the end of a bolt with the second one only half on i could grind down a nut to about 1/4 the width giving me enough room to thread them on the mirror stalks and still bolt the mirrors onto the brackets.

Image Image

And now the scoot is all done, my bro loaded it up and took it away :peace:

Merry Xmas Eden!

drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

Best Uncle ever!
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

That is quality. Nice Work.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
NorthNB50
Noob
Noob

Post by NorthNB50 »

Awesome restoration, I like the front signals you put on instead of the stock ones...
'86 Honda Aero NB50
'97 Honda Dio SR ...Gone but not forgotten
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You're a Nominee for Best Scooter Restoration.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH