Spree-io

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

mookie
Elite
Elite

Spree-io

Post by mookie »

right wrong or indifferent i've gotten the motor into the frame.
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree-io

Post by veedubh20 »

Yes, moto mount is right.

I dont recommed shock extension.

need to drill hole just under a battery box
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

what's your logic on the shock position?
i stood on the chassis and it boing-ed up and down.
rubs on cyl head though so i hafta sort that out for the shroud...
would like to keep the geometry correct....
though open to ideas..
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

Hello,

Honda Has left plastic cooling fin cover, there is a reason! :lol:

the cylinder jug will get hot faster and lack of cooling air. Both covers must be on.

In order.

Will need to get from a front wheel axle bolt/ nut and a 2 wheel space bushings it does work! and buy a 310mm long shock. :mrgreen:

Just take your time looking at pics of spree where shock were mount located.http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2394340
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

thanks for the link. i happened upon it the other night when i did a Google search for "Spree with Dio motor"
one pic does show a possible position and i'm thinking now how i can do it AND brace the frame way back there so all that horsepower wont twist the frame in two.
still need to brace the engine mount area too.

the cover in question was missing/broken when the engine came to me.i'm looking for one now if anyone knows of one
for sale. main shroud too. this one was butchered around the plug area for some reason...

it's a work in progress.
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

veedubh20 wrote:Hello,

Honda Has left plastic cooling fin cover, there is a reason! :lol:

the cylinder jug will get hot faster and lack of cooling air. Both covers must be on.

In order.

Will need to get from a front wheel axle bolt/ nut and a 2 wheel space bushings it does work! and buy a 310mm long shock. :mrgreen:

Just take your time looking at pics of spree where shock were mount located.http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2394340
re-reading this post now...
please clarify the front axle bolt reference.
i"think" i get the idea but....

can you give me a step by step instruction as to what the experts do over in your neck of the woods??
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

better??

sidestand too-

reinforced the backbone.

braced the mount
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

good! :mrgreen:
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

did you just cut the left side of the mount aprox 99mm as Vdub said to me or what? I pulled the engine from my spree and tried to put in the 88 Elite month and no go.

also you putting the mount in the holes closer to the front of the bike? i'll post pictures of my shZZ as soon as i find my cam
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

dem0nk1d wrote:did you just cut the left side of the mount aprox 99mm as Vdub said to me or what? I pulled the engine from my spree and tried to put in the 88 Elite month and no go.

also you putting the mount in the holes closer to the front of the bike? i'll post pictures of my shZZ as soon as i find my cam
i took appx. 4mm off either side of what i think was a Aero hanger, though it could be 87 Elite.not certain.it was one from one of several scoots i have...99mm is a LOT.

i can't see hanging the engine way out there on the end of the frame.but that's just me. i am by no means an expert at this.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

dem0nk1d wrote:did you just cut the left side of the mount aprox 99mm as Vdub said to me or what? I pulled the engine from my spree and tried to put in the 88 Elite month and no go.

:roll:
Hello,

Yes on early/later af16 main motor mount, need to cut 99mm. Just read and follow instruction.

88-93 mount only, , need a rubber moto 2 bushings 88-93 only to press in on dio moto.
94-01 moto mount, recommend to get dio moto .

but 87 mount only need to trim of 4mm each side, then you need 88-93 moto rubber bushing only to press in dio moto.
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

the "Dio" motor mount/ bolt is 10mm in diameter
whereas the AF05 engines,and their motor mounts
use a 8mm bolt.

so- i have a 10 mm hole at the engine(AF16) and an 8mm hole at the engine mount (AF05)

the Spree frame calls for the smaller diameter but drilling the hole out is an easy option IF that were the case...

i used an engine case "dowel" from a motorcycle engines case cover that was the right length and diameter (1mm)
there are different lengths and diameters used throughout various japanese motorcycles, i was lucky enough to have a couple at my immediate disposal!
next time you have the vari/ clutch cover off your scoot you will see a couple of them. they basically locate/align the cover to the case- also used on some cylinder to case and head to cylinders.

here is an image i snagged off the net- just an example.

bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

sick build love the dio
CH80
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

You may/will need to trim the rear taillight plastic also. Thats what I had to do...
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

so far.