'94 Elite 50 Scooter - New to me, what am I getting into?

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

frogpirate
Noob
Noob

Re: '94 Elite 50 Scooter - New to me, what am I getting into?

Post by frogpirate »

bakaracer wrote:Hey Ken before you ride that bike,make sure you up jet the carb.since you drilled out the exhaust,the engine is going to need more gas.If not its going to run lean and you will seize the engine.If planing on using the stock airbox,punch out the tab that covers up one of the holes on the inlet of the airbox cover.upjet to a 85 or 88 jet.
Wow, that big? I think the biggest I have is an 82. I guess a trip to the Honda store in in order.

I have checked the variator, and the restictor plate is long gone. I was hitting ~ 35 on flats before I started mucking about. I'm hoping to get to 40-ish. :ndance: I'll eventually replace transmission gears probably, I just want to get the 'easy' stuff done for the time being.

Ken
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

turtle13 wrote:
dem0nk1d wrote: Also do you know if the Varaitor has a plate behind it with three screws? If so remove it, and you'll gain a little more topend.
http://www.scootertherapy.com/Eliteclutchpage.html
i never thought about this, but that is probably not a bad idea, in theory this would allow the variator to its full amount when at high revs...
the grease cover fit on the back of my keli when i got it, so i just slapped it on figuring it would help keep everything together during assy/dis-assy...

Turtle: LOL, yeah take that plate off. It's restricting you.

Frog: yes that washer welded in the muff. I mean muffler. =) Do both mods and you should see at least 35MPH
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

frogpirate wrote:
bakaracer wrote:Hey Ken before you ride that bike,make sure you up jet the carb.since you drilled out the exhaust,the engine is going to need more gas.If not its going to run lean and you will seize the engine.If planing on using the stock airbox,punch out the tab that covers up one of the holes on the inlet of the airbox cover.upjet to a 85 or 88 jet.
Wow, that big? I think the biggest I have is an 82. I guess a trip to the Honda store in in order.

I have checked the variator, and the restictor plate is long gone. I was hitting ~ 35 on flats before I started mucking about. I'm hoping to get to 40-ish. :ndance: I'll eventually replace transmission gears probably, I just want to get the 'easy' stuff done for the time being.

Ken
If your going to honda look under the 88-93 elite lx or sr,they use the 88 jet.the 85 jet comes out of the 87 elite 50.Oh and get a aftermarket variator.you will see a better topend speed.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

use the honda ruckus varaitor i heard good things about it. you'll need to shave some of the starter area on the case.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

dem0nk1d wrote:use the honda ruckus varaitor i heard good things about it. you'll need to shave some of the starter area on the case.
you will need to get a zx rear pulley set up,zx belt and zx boss to take advatage of the larger front pulley.its a waste of money when you can go just as fast with the aftermarket front pulley for that engine and stock rear pulley with springs plus way less weight for the engine to turn
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Hmmm, i oughta sell new Ruckus variators with slides and ramp for $60 shipped and make a few bucks each. Then it wouldn't be a waste of money for us users to get the Ruckus setup.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
frogpirate
Noob
Noob

Post by frogpirate »

Whoa! I've been jacked!

:b2t:

I found my tire irons finally. I'd stuck them in an old metal tray where I keep odds and ends i don't use often, and naturally that is the last place I thought to look. :crazy: I got the tire off, after breaking he rust-sealed bead, and cleaned up the rim. Is it normal to have the brake drum scorch the paint on the other side? My neighbor Jim (Ruckus, various motorcycles) came over while I was out washing the rim and told me I should "murder" out the bike. I am thinking satin-black, but there will be a little more color than that. The rims will probably by Ford Tractor Gray, 'cause I have it and the hardener.

Not much else today, cleaned a few parts (under-seat box) and visited a local scooter shop. They did not have any 3.00 X 10 tires, but did have a 3.50 x 10 Michlelin - for $45. I decided to pass on that. Any suggestions for reasonable cost tires? I don't need them to last 5K miles or anything, but do want them to stick in 'da rain.

Ken