Super Dio ZX AF28 and other Dio scooters

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Super Dio ZX AF28 and other Dio scooters

Post by sanjuro »

This is what I started from when I sourced this frame from Florida:

The frame had a little bit of rust, and I decided to powdercoat it a gloss black. The factory steering tree installed with all new bearings, races, and etc.

I originally bought Engine 01 from Japan, and removed all bearings and seals to refinish the carters.

Engine 01 mocked up and with MHR cylinder kit, Stage 6 intake manifold, Mikuni TM24 carburetor, Malossi delta clutch, and Malossi wing bell. The exhaust (yet to be determined) will probably be a Windjammers or Chameleon. I will be using Malossi cranks on all of the AF18 motors I have. Edit: I'm using the stock SK50 crankshaft for Engine 02 so I can establish a baseline.

Notice how tight the tolerances are with the driven face.

I have this second AF18 motor I will use for the initial build-out:

Engine 02 cleaned up with the carters matching the cylinder.

Instead of the MHR aluminum head, I am installing a Malossi cast iron kit for Engine 02. My friend John C. in Louisiana did the matching and clean up work. Also, the exhaust port has been opened up to the same diameter as the exhaust header on my PG short pipe.

...more updates in the week. :D
Last edited by sanjuro on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 13 times in total.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Super Dio ZX AF28 build

Post by evilone »

Is that one of your motors in #4 and #5 pics? Beautiful :shock:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Yep, Engine 01 is resting comfortably on my table. :) I do need to get the case matched to the MHR kit before installing the crank on that specific motor.

Engine 02's gear cover was in average shape, so I swapped it out with the original one from Engine 01. I purchased a new cover for the transmission gear case and put it on Engine 01. That's why you don't see any numbers imprinted on the cover in the 'mock up' pictures. Honda changed the design slightly at the bottom to route any leaking gear oil in a different/more efficient manner.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

You always do the best work :thumbsup:
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

NICE JOB, sanj!!

Dude, that looks like my motor!! You always take some great pics, as well. I need to take some lessons!

PM me your phone number again dude, sorry I have not called ya back, been busy lately and could not find your number.

Thanks for posting your pics, dude.... and good choice on the Stage 6 intake manifold.... it is a KILLER intake mani; I love mines.

Did you get the SEF Black?

Later man, jon :coolcruise:
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I ended up getting a PG Short exhaust for the Malossi cast iron build on Engine 02. I'll get a Windjammer or Chameleon pipe in a few months (have a few other projects to dump money into).
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

subscribed :2thumbs:

whats the difference in blocks between the Usa Elite engine? The trans is bigger correct, and i know the crank seals are smaller if i remember.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

On the SA50 motor the pulse generator is at the south west edge of the right side carter, and on the SK50 it is on the south east edge of the carter. I'm assuming the stator is different due to the specific orientation of the pickup coil on each. The rear transmission cover also accommodates a much larger pulley (at least for the ZX model) on the SK50. The oil seals on the crankcase are the same for the SA50 and SK50 if anyone was wondering. The 1st production year of the SK50 did have smaller seals, but all subsequent years were identical to the '94-'01 Elites.

If someone sends me the left side case of a SA50 motor I can document the differences and dispel any myths.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

some JDM af18e later model block does work on 94-01 sa50 left crank seal.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

veedubh20 wrote:some JDM af18e later model block does work on 94-01 sa50 left crank seal.
I'm looking in my parts catalog and the 'M' series (1st model year of the Super Dio) SK50 uses a 15.6 x 25.5 x 7 seal, which is the same as the seal on the stator side of the case.

The SK50 second through fifth model years (N, P, MR, MT) used the 19.4 x 31 x 7 seal for the left crank side, just like the SA50 motor.

So yes, only the 1st year Super Dio used the smaller oil seal on the left crank side, but only for that initial year.
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

if it stops raining, i'll slap a case together and take some pictures.. I'll try to mimic your white background pics. =)
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

wowww... those pics got me droolin, nice work sir hawwt dam :worship:
projects galore :nerd:
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I have the crank and cylinder head installed now. Just have the stator/flywheel + brake components, and then a leak-down test.
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

Still raining but i'll take some photo's of the af16E vs the af28.

here is a snap shot of the Af35 engine

notice the jug sits forward on the case instead of on top;.

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I need to tear down my AF35 motor too, but that money pit will have to await another day.