SuperSpree {-HAS BEGUN-} PICS ADDED

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Re: Starting 87 SuperSpree

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Good question - Since there's no muffler, and I'd rather not go with stock, what would be a good pipe to use? I was thinking later down the road, something like a YWS V8 pipe or something tuned for mini-strokers, etc.

Any suggestions?
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I got one box fulla parts today. I think I'll look at redoing a few things with this engine before I officially begin assembling this bike.

Going to pull it out of the box and pop the cylinder off and see how it looks, going to take the block down to the car wash and clean it up as well as my frame. Going to check on a set of new rings tonight...

a stupid question. I've heard the CT intakes fit these bikes. however, I was curious if I bought the knockoff version are they just as good? I want to modify it slighty and need input as to wether or not this would work. I want to retain the oil injection since the internals of the motor will be left close to stock for now. If I pulled the injection nipple out of the orig. intake, and bored a hole in the aftermarket intake, would it work the same with a larger diameter carburetor?

I have a carburetor still somewhere off from a Honda CH125 I wanted to use with it, I believe it's a 19mm or so bore size. Of course, rejet for the purpose.

I'm just kickin' some ideas around about this, I want to lightly mod the engine before I mount it.

Pics coming very soon.
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Re: SuperSpree {-HAS BEGUN-}

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Got the motor into the garage today. Workdog, the engine had trouble picking up speed because the exhaust port is half blocked. And, I tore down the variator and the rollers each have two horrific flat spots on them and they're heavy as all *. Lol.

Well, here's the pics I shot before camera went dead. Lots more to come.
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: SuperSpree {-HAS BEGUN-} PICS ADDED

Post by drizzle »

oh man, cant wait to see this one finished :worship:
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Quick question - will this piston kit work if I have the cylinder bored?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CR ... 518e50f566
workdog
Spree
Spree

Post by workdog »

Glad it wasn't nothing to bad! I was going to put the variator but I never had the ambition to do so.

I cant wait to see this!
83 Honda Aero 80
Honda Aero80 and Aero50 parts for sale cheap.
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =2&t=15095
My Aero50 engine swap:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 16&t=13021
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've read several times that the air-cooled CR80 piston works in the CH80 Aero engine, once perhaps in The Motorscooter Guide. No direct experience of course...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Plans may change. I may mount this in an 89 Elite E instead because I like the bigger frame...
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

SO FAR:

I got the other box of parts today and now the block is alot less dirty and alot more shiny!

Got the top end assembled and figured something out: The Spree's motor mount and Aero 80 mount fit together like a glove, and with a quick zap of the welder and a inch longer motor mount bolt, I have a motor mount! Just like SE50s, I need to relocate the shock mount. What fun that will be... Anyways I'm making progress. Going to assemble it tomorrow and see what happens, and I bought batteries for the cam just for the purpose. So pics will be coming!

By the way, anyone going to answer my post in General about some ideas I have?

I'm starting to like this already!
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

wikked_spree57 wrote:Quick question - will this piston kit work if I have the cylinder bored?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CR ... 518e50f566
this one is .40 over IF you use a CR piston start with first over ASSUMING the Aero cylinder
measures to accept it.

looks like your the mad scientist on this one!!
question??

does the engine run at present?if so why not get the project up and running THEN do the mods?
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

My obvious choice was a CR-80 or 85 pipe. It is pretty easy to use a cutting wheel and then rotate and burn back together. I bought one on fleabay for 20 dollars.
wikked_spree57 wrote:Good question - Since there's no muffler, and I'd rather not go with stock, what would be a good pipe to use? I was thinking later down the road, something like a YWS V8 pipe or something tuned for mini-strokers, etc.

Any suggestions?
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Any chance you could e-mail me some pics of exactly how you went about doing that?

It sounds interesting and I do still have an FMF silencer meant for a YZ80. Maybe that would work? I need to get the CR expansion chamber.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

UPDATE: pics coming. Bike was reassembled last night, however, the smoke from welding has ridden me severely ill for the next couple days. I have EXTREMELY sensitive lungs, and stupid me stood there in the garage while my friend did the welding (needed extra hands).

I began to re-assemble tonight and was able to fire up the motor for a few seconds, but I have to deal with wiring and re-assembly of the plastic. The motor mount was the easiest part, shock mount so-so. Didn't want to relocate, but seemed to be required.

Anyways, more to come once I get thru with this illness.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Another update:

I test rode the bike today. Call me nuts but I have no brakes (need the proper hand controls to house the cables) and Workdog said there was a trans problem, turns out it's running WAY rich. slightese bit of throttle will move it but any more and it d*** near dies and the plug comes out soaked.

Even lacking power it's got torque, i couldnt keep it straight on the road!
dwsracing
Goped
Goped

Post by dwsracing »

well * the roads are ice now, take a ride and video it. lol :coolcruise: