2001 Elite S

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Re: 2001 Elite S

Post by kingearwig »

sanjuro wrote:My buddy did that with his Aero 50, and the thing soft seized 3 or 4 times on the way home, which was only 2 miles.
did your buddy use the stock seat?
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

kingearwig wrote:
sanjuro wrote:My buddy did that with his Aero 50, and the thing soft seized 3 or 4 times on the way home, which was only 2 miles.
Yes, but all of his body panels were off.
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

kingearwig wrote:
2 things:
1) You'll be sitting over the general area where the original seat was located, thus blocking air circulation.
2) The front plastics provide a large amount of wind resistance, so we're not talk about a huge gain in air circulation.

People have advised you, based upon their years of building scooters and tweaking them. If you want to ruin your motor... hey, that's your prerogative. :2thumbs:
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

Removed the front plastics and floorboard.
Welded on some metal bar to make the floor work better.

Last summer I drove this ped about 1000 miles (at 49cc)with no cowling. I still had all the front plastic on. The only reason it blew up last summer was that I mixed the gas and oil improperly. What is so different about these honda motors that makes them need the shroud even when wind is allowed easy access to the head and jug just like any dirt bike or ATV?
edgargonz
BMX
BMX

Post by edgargonz »

kingearwig wrote:Image
Removed the front plastics and floorboard.
Welded on some metal bar to make the floor work better.

Last summer I drove this ped about 1000 miles (at 49cc)with no cowling. I still had all the front plastic on. The only reason it blew up last summer was that I mixed the gas and oil improperly. What is so different about these honda motors that makes them need the shroud even when wind is allowed easy access to the head and jug just like any dirt bike or ATV?
I think you have gotten plenty answers......but none you want to hear, just do what you want with your scoot and the info.....have fun enjoy and keep us posted....but I agree with the answers you have gotten :hi: :thumbwink:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

KingEarWig axt:
What is so different about these honda motors that makes them need the shroud even when wind is allowed easy access to the head and jug just like any dirt bike or ATV?
In short, the cooling fins. Their number, size, thichness and orientation is different from what you'd see on an equivalent "free-air-cooled" engine of similar displacement. Honda-san is wise. He can run an indefinite number of test engines, sacrificing cylinder after cylinder until reliability is established. He always builds in an allowance for high-BMEP operating conditions such as sustained WOT, over-rev, drag and load. That's one reason some people get away with 72, 90, and even 125ccs inside the fan-and-cowling system designed for 49ccs.

Once you remove that system, you're dipping a toe into unknown waters, particularly if at the same time you're increasing displacement. I'm not saying it won't work and be reliable, and hope and wish you the best. I'm just saying it might not. Whatever happens, do post results.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

Once you remove that system, you're dipping a toe into unknown waters, particularly if at the same time you're increasing displacement. I'm not saying it won't work and be reliable, and hope and wish you the best. I'm just saying it might not. Whatever happens, do post results.
I didn't think you were saying that it couldn't work.... it was the others in this thread that have been insisting other wise. It sounds like no one here has made any serious attempt to make it work without the motor shroud.
sanjuro wrote:Nothing like working all day, only to find out you'll be walking home while pushing a 125lb scoot. That'll almost make a preacher cuss, friend
Just weighed it for poops and giggles... she weighs 140 lbs :shock: I was hoping for under 100.. My new floor "board" is working nicely. I have about 250 miles on the new jug. I am still working on the jetting. going to gauge the one that is in it and save this one for winter and get me a slightly leaner one. I have been thinking a lot about the seat I would love to get my hands on one from a ruckus.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

So the exhaust originally had holes in it right before the muffler.
here's a video http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t121 ... 001514.flv
Last night my cousin and I welded those shut then chopped the exhaust open on both ends and torched the guts out. Here's a video after this mod.http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t121 ... 001734.flv
I would guess that it is 90% as loud as it was... maybe less. Loss of power is unnoticeable.
EDIT*Might I also point out my stop light trigger magnet? :)

Here's a pic of the floor boards I used...
they are metal extesions for a miter saw. I have an idea involving pop rivets and fake leather to improve my seat until I can come up with a better seat design.
Also did some more blacking out...Image
Last edited by kingearwig on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I gotta say that looks cool in a Post-Apocalyptic Mad Max kind of way. If you're not gonna run the shroud, why not unbolt the fan? It should improve your high-end throttle response a little, maybe even top end.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

good thought... maybe cut all of the fins off of the fan nicely. so as to leave the plastic base of the fan to protect whats under there.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I gotta say that looks cool in a Post-Apocalyptic Mad Max kind of way.
THANKS!
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

I'll cut to the chase.
30 degrees or so here in indiana so no test drive.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

Still only 35F here but took it out anyway. I am running pretty rich, I don't know what size jet. I think I am running into an issue that others have. It runs really good at WOT but too rich at anything below that down to about 20% throttle. A plug chop indicates she is running just right at WOT. I have access to a box full of dirt bike carbs. I thinking about taking a look, but then I would need a different intake. Any other ideas to improve carburetion with the stock carb? Anyway I do think removing the fan fins made a little difference in top end responsiveness. top speed may have gone up .5 mph too(maybe less).
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Check your current main jet at the very least. It's hard to assess that filter from your pics. If it's restrictive at all, it might explain the rich conditions you've observed. UNI filters can be had in the 1" size from just about any powersports dealer for under $20. Oil it up well, and be prepared to jet up a size or 2. Lots of disrespect for K&N, but I've found them to work just fine. Once your main is running clean at WOT, you can address midrange issues to some extent by moving the clip on the needle jet between the 3 choices.

The only carb I know fits Honda's intake is an Arreche-for-Honda. Try Scooter-Center.com in der Fatherland. Available in 17.5 to 24mm(?) for around $100 or so last time I looked. Search under "Vision" or Dio SR. (But not Dio "ZX")
Wheelman-111
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

The other day I got my hands on some fake leather and some pop rivets. Here's the result.
Tomorrow pics of my new hand crafted street sign fender.