Preping for BBK...

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Preping for BBK...

Post by mustangwagz »

Started tearin apart the spree tonight. Only got motor out and tore carb off. Decided i'd take another look at carb. Cleaned out bystarter passage seeing as i didnt get it good enough first time. Used a .030 Drill bit to clean passge.

* is the purpose of the emulision tube? and should i be able to push a wire whole way though it?

Next will be cleaning motor, and tearing off the major components. I wanna inspect reeds and make sure they're all gravy before i tear head N Jug off. Once its out ill check the Crank case for excessive oil pump leakage and then on to replacing stock parts with aftermarket parts!

Break in has me concerned but i've done alot of reading so hopefully all goes well! Ill get some pics of everything i'm doin and post em!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Preping for BBK...

Post by martynkim »

* is the purpose of the emulision tube? and should i be able to push a wire whole way though it?

Remove the tube by removing the jet. Then, Push a small object from the other side and remove the tube should pop right out. Then you will see a series of holes in the tube. find a music store, get some cuttings from a restringed guitar use the appropriate string (think it is E) and run it thru all openings reassemble. Should clean it right up. Good Luck Zac! LMK send email etc any other questions about this.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Took apart spree today and almost back together, gonna try millin head tomorrow. Prolly wont get it back together, got dad duty tomorrow. s***! lol

Anyhow, Emulision tube had major crap at the bottom of it.. but holes was clear n clean. So i fixed all that, cleaned it up and put back together. Carb should be problem free now other than the stupid bowl being stained in the bottom.

Reeds are allll good in the hood. had a piece of hair stuck on them though..figure that out? lol

Wrist pin bearing was only questionable thing i seen. I dont believe its toast, but we'll sell. I got lots of pics but just gotta figure out how to post more than 3 at a time! Grrr!

Also gettin new exhaust studs from work so thats a plus. Gona try to find stainless ones. "TRY!!" lol unless someone says otherwise.

Also, Oil pump doesnt seem to be leaking all that much if any.

I also made sure the EX on the piston was facing exhaust side of the jug! i read that somewhere and remembered it! Good call eh? as far as rings, thats a no brainer..Piston gots little dowel pin lookin things in it for the rings to nestle into. BRILLIANT!! lol ill get pics on ASAP!!

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Ok WELL, i gotta resize all my EFFIN picks..Grrrr.. lol

Anyhow, anyone got an idea on how deep the counterbore depth should be when opening head to 44mm? I got program all wrote up and waitin at work to open head, but wanna enter a Counterbore depth so i can kill 2 birds with one end mill. lol

05 vinson
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

here's the shmeg i found at bottom of Emo tube..
shmeg.JPG
shmeg.JPG (112.94 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
opened bystarter passage although its hard to see.. notice my stained bowl i had till i used some etching acid on it. Cleand right up after that! lol
100_1208.JPG
100_1208.JPG (166.67 KiB) Viewed 7350 times
After cleaning the entire carb and re assembling for the 7th time! lol
100_1210.JPG
100_1210.JPG (169.33 KiB) Viewed 7350 times

05 vinson
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Yup enough shiznit to give you issues good job get that E string in the holes!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Ok so gonna hopfully fire spree tomorrow. Aint had time to do anything yesterday or today..

As far as air filter, Should i Drill air box? (how many holes and how big?)

Also, i believe it was odin that told me to mix a little over an ounce of oil with each gallon of gas i put in ALONG WITH running stock oil pump. Sound right guys? (After break-in that is..)

I was also recommended to run the bpr8hs plug.

BBK came with a 90 jet.

its the 86 spree, with taz's 44 bbk

05 vinson
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Another ?????... What kinda compression number am i shootin for? (I.E. 700 psi is to much, 10 psi is to little..)

05 vinson
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

About 125 is stock.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Just did the first 10 min run. Lettin it cool now. So far so good. Smoked like a bandit at first, figure thats from all the 2 stroke oil i used during assem. Also flooded itself first time. But changed plug out, and held throttle open to get MO air. took right off. So far so good guys. i got my fingers crossed. Throttle response seems WAY better already, didnt wind it out yet (not for a tank or 2 yet anyhow) so imma keep doin the warm up, cool off today and see how everything goes!! :-D

05 vinson
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

bought a 10 dollar APC filter from Advanced Auto parts. Little bit of mod with the dremel, and shave a little off the Stock Air box tube, and Tadah!! Fits like its meant to be! I gotta video of it too but gotta get it posted... Youtube i'm thinkin?
100_1219.JPG
100_1219.JPG (199.45 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
100_1220.JPG
100_1220.JPG (195.94 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
100_1222.JPG
100_1222.JPG (210.93 KiB) Viewed 7218 times

05 vinson
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

did you mill you own head?

Did you take a compression test?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

yah, its about 123.

05 vinson
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

That rocks Zac! keep us posted. :thumbwink:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Trafficjamz wrote:did you mill you own head?

Did you take a compression test?

How did you do your head? Dremel or Machine shop?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight