IM NEW, heres my new paint job....I call it the ninja turtle

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Toekneerocks
Noob
Noob

IM NEW, heres my new paint job....I call it the ninja turtle

Post by Toekneerocks »

Hey guys. Im in vegas and just got a scooter. Love this forum and all it has done for me and my friends so far.
I bought this 1999 Elite S off craigslist for $500. Its already had a malossi 70 kit and technigas pipe on it, so id say i got a killer deal.
It runs superb, lots of pick up. i just need to get the bigger primary gears to help my top end (open to all suggestions on what kind/ratio gears)

This is what it looked like in the craigslist ad. Bad pic but i didnt get a chance to take before pics, i started working on it right away.
photo(2).jpg
photo(2).jpg (74.83 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
I sanded off the Elite S logos and fixed the body cracks with alot of help from wheelman's "Body Repair by Videonut" thread. Painted with 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of krylon moss green, 3 coats of clear, wet sanded in between each coat of paint and clear. Finished it off with a coat of regular turtle wax. Ground the rust off the pipe and painted it w/high temp black.
photo22.jpg
photo22.jpg (115.29 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Found this stuff at wal-mart. Bondo makes it. Its basically black shoe polish, but its specifically made for black plastic bed liners and other black plastic trim
made my old dry plastic like new...its well worth the $10
photo33.jpg
photo33.jpg (158.54 KiB) Viewed 6360 times
ill post more as i do more.

Toeknee
1999 Elite S
70 malossi kit
technigas pipe
Turtle Power Paint
Wheelman-111

Re: IM NEW, heres my new paint job....I call it the ninja turtle

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome Tony. Super-nice bodywork. Pay no attention to the Naysayers who contend that Green is unlucky on a motorcycle. About a million Kawasakis can't be wrong!

If you're planning to keep a mild state of tune and stock carb, 9:1 secondaries may be all you need. These will allow speeds approaching 60 MPH and you'll keep the same take-off as stock or better.

If you want to tune with a bigger carb and intake, I suggest 8.4:1s. You will notice a softer pickup but with all the kit speeds well over 65 become possible.

Be careful wringing it out on stock 12:1 gears for now, lest it over-rev and damage that shiny new Malossi. 50 or 55 is enough to risk damage.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

sweet job dude! Yes the $10 was totally worth it!!!!
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Toekneerocks
Noob
Noob

Post by Toekneerocks »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:
If you're planning to keep a mild state of tune and stock carb, 9:1 secondaries may be all you need. These will allow speeds approaching 60 MPH and you'll keep the same take-off as stock or better.
Be careful wringing it out on stock 12:1 gears for now, lest it over-rev and damage that shiny new Malossi. 50 or 55 is enough to risk damage.
Thanks for the props.. Just to clarify. I should get the 9:1 secondary gears, NOT the primary gears, i was thinking about buying the primary gears cause i read that they were easier to put it. I could get the secondary gears pressed at a shop easy enough, and they are cheaper but whats the performance difference, if any.

This is the carb i have. Im not sure if its stock or not. maybe you know, but i plan on keeping it.
carb.jpg
carb.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
I bought this air filter and tried to use it, but my scooter ran like crap as soon as i put it on, i tried to tune it by closing/opening the air mixture screw,the more i closed it the better it got but it would only get up to 25 or 30 then the scooter would just bog down and lose power. i dont know if this means too much air, not enough fuel, do i need a bigger jet to use this air filter?....OR.. do i not know what im doing...probly. I put the stock airbox back on and it worked perfect though.
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (133.05 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
photo(3).jpg
photo(3).jpg (142.17 KiB) Viewed 6326 times
1999 Elite S
70 malossi kit
technigas pipe
Turtle Power Paint
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Your carb appears to be stock. If you did not change its main jet when you installed your Malossi bore kit, it is Urgent that you do so before your next ride. Othewise you will be running horribly lean which is particularly bad during break-in. Stock on your restricted S model was 68, and you need at least an 88. By all means reinstall the airbox until you've had time to read and absorb the info on the Forum. Your airscrew adjustment may help the low end, but only by replacing the main jet can your bore survive. The pod filter increases the risk by letting in even more air, further leaning your mixture.

Primary gears are a little easier to install, but the shortest ratio available is in the 7:1 range, which is too tall for your setup to pull. It is necessary to have the large gear pressed onto your axle shaft, but the 9 or 8.4:1 is a better match for your engine's current power output.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Toekneerocks
Noob
Noob

Post by Toekneerocks »

X-mas came early for me.
thanks to Limp1144 for the oil pump plug + 9.1:1 gears (16 x 42) ,
and DAYWOT for the coil, jets, 3000k clutch springs, 1500k torque spring, 270mm shock and keli speed variator...
the turn signal, spark plug and air filter where at a local motorcycle shop.

I got a lot of work ahead of me, and im reluctant to start on it, cause i know once i tear it all down, ill be scooterless for a couple days, but its worth it. my plan is to go to a shop with a press and swap out the gears first, then put all the other performance parts on and tune to the new gears...

wish me luck.
Also Im open to tips for installing any of these parts, steer me in the right direction if you've run across anything i may need to know
early x-mas.jpg
early x-mas.jpg (124.38 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
1999 Elite S
70 malossi kit
technigas pipe
Turtle Power Paint
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

Nice build, and could you let us all know how that rear shock turns out? I mainly am curious weather it is slightly taller than stock, thanks!
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've had DayWOT's blue 270 shock on all scooters since F 1. It transforms the ride, at least out back. 1cm longer than stock makes more difference than you'd expect. However in conjunction with big tars, the centerstand needs to be extended at least an inch for the rear tire to clear ground.
Wheelman-111
Toekneerocks
Noob
Noob

Post by Toekneerocks »

put the new 270mm shock on, and i forgot to take pictures of the stock and 270 side by side. The 1 cm difference seems like nothing but its a different feel, and the stiffness is a great upgrade. I would recommend this shock to anyone looking for an aftermarket shock.
I also put on the new coil and spark plug.

wheelman!
i wanna get that zx trans kit that vtcycles is selling. but im still confused on what belt i should use. is the belt that comes with the kit gonna be too big after i put my keli varitartor on?
thanks
1999 Elite S
70 malossi kit
technigas pipe
Turtle Power Paint
Wheelman-111

Turtle Belt

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

To me, the whole point of the ZX transmission is to restore good acceleration after stock gears are swapped for taller. The VTCycles people (Who have a lot more experience than I...) recommend the 654*mm length belt. Not being a "conventional" character, I opted for the 669*mm, because I feel it improves take-off more. That is because the "rear sprocket" becomes larger as the longer belt skirts the rim of the rear pulley. (Think 10-speed bike...)

So far I see no signs of belt contact with my crankcase or variator cover - after having issues with 2 dirt-cheap 669s from Overseas. I carved a good bit of Al-You-Minnie-Yum to get here though. Going against the grain and Scooter Wisdom of the Elders is risky, so my advice is to get the 654 until I acquire enough experience/mileage to recommend otherwise. Anyway, unless you get a Really Big Variator, the longer 669 may hurt your top speed more than the shorter one. Both are likely to be an improvement over the stock 641*mm sized belt.

(All sizes are "Nominal" as printed on the belts. Actual circumference measurement for Stock is 653mm. The 669s measured 679-684mm)
Wheelman-111
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

What paint did you use, what prep work, and how many coats?
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
Toekneerocks
Noob
Noob

Post by Toekneerocks »

Saved wrote:What paint did you use, what prep work, and how many coats?
after the body repairs, and sanding everything smooth, i used 1 coat of this primer. i got everthing at walmart. All the body panels took about 2 and 1/2 cans of primer total.
primer.jpg
primer.jpg (175.32 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
Then i did 3 coats of this regular krylon green moss. The most important part is wet sanding! I wet sanded in between each coat of paint. 2-3 cans of paint
green.jpg
green.jpg (163.05 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
Then i did 3 coats with this rustoleum clear lacquer, also wet sanding in between each coat. 2-3 cans. the more coats of clear you do the better the paint job will look in the end. I cannot stress enough about wet sanding in between each coat. it will look so much nicer.
clear.jpg
clear.jpg (173.08 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
The wet sand paper i used was 1000 grit 3M, found in the automotive section....at walmart or course..
1999 Elite S
70 malossi kit
technigas pipe
Turtle Power Paint
Hymenator
Noob
Noob

Post by Hymenator »

I'm diggin' the turtle.. Green scoots are awesome.