1986 Honda Spree NQ50 build **completed!**

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

i-want-2-wheelie
Noob
Noob

1986 Honda Spree NQ50 build **completed!**

Post by i-want-2-wheelie »

Alright, so, here's my 1986 NQ50 that I got off of a friend of mine roughly 5 years ago. I saw it around his house one day and he told me it was going to a yard sale the next day. $125 later, she was in the back of my dads pick up and on her way home. Was the original red and in decent shape, but wasn't running.. just needed a little bit of TLC and a change of oil and some fresh gas.

Since I got her up and going, I gave her a flat black paint job, threw on some new rims and rubbers, and she looks pretty nice and rides/sounds even better. here's a pic from last summer:

She's been running amazingly ever since, and now I use her while I'm up at school for getting around and riding alongside friends who have street bikes... quite a site to see, and all the chicks dig it ;) ....

Since riding with my friends on bikes with slightly larger engines... haha... I've had the need for some more speed. I can keep up with them wheelie wise, but I needed my moped to be going faster than the lame 30 or 35 downhill :/

I've been doing some research here and just recieved TAZ's Stage 2 Kit in the mail today-so geards and big bore- (my head is currently being bored out). Going to be installing the gears and cylinder later on today hopefully, and when I get the head back, she'll be ready to go! :woot:

Just need to head down to the store to pick up a free flow filter and get the head back and she'll be done for now.
I've got a few other small aesthetic mods in mind..
-graphics (i'm thinking Rob Dyrdek style... :naughty: )
-something a little bit more... shiny
those will come probably later in the summer

But for now, she will stay as she is as. What do you guys think? I'm the first of my friends to have one and they've all loved the thing, but I don't think they're ready to see this fast :2thumbs:
Last edited by i-want-2-wheelie on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: 1986 Honda Spree NQ50 build

Post by drizzle »

that is one mean lookin' scoot. cant wait to see more.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

NICE! Now we need to get you down here to NH for riding with some other scooters :smile:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

An '86, that clean, and WITH a Petcock Cover? Dang! :thumbwink:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
i-want-2-wheelie
Noob
Noob

alright, got her stripped down a bit more today, going to work on the cylinder and some more break down a little later. She's coming along pretty good so far, probably gonna sand down the paint a bit and give her a new spray of flat.. and for some more eye candy :)

stripped down:

plastics and muffler getting ready for some fresh paint:

gonna need a new speedo after this install ;) :

I'm thinking red graphics to match the piping on the seat, along with some black and red grips hand grips, and probably spraying the muffler accent red also. And a little addition to the floor plate

**EDIT**
It's IN! (that's what she said)

side-by-side esque with the stock piston

Got the cylinder and piston in so, a little more progress as of 9 pm tonight... put her away for now.
Tomorrow's agenda:
attack the rust
clean and rejet the carb
take off the crank case cover

she's coming along!
i-want-2-wheelie
Noob
Noob

been a while since I've been able to work on the spree.. But I'm finishing it up this week.
Got the air filter coming in tuesday, along with some black, grey, and red hand grips.

Hopefully we'll be ordering up some stickers from felospree, but of a custom design of course :wink:
I've got some pictures I'll post up tomorrow. The thing had dirt just caked in the motor. My old man told me about some contact cleaner they got from work and got me a few cans. Tell you one thing, this ish is bananas, I mean a simple spray of it to a dirty spot and the cleaner dissolves the dirt amazingly and leaves a nice shine afterwards. However, note to self, it will take spray paint off haha.

I'll be back with pics tomorrow, and hopefully test runs next week.. just need to find that stupid jet :( hopefully she shows up in time haha
i-want-2-wheelie
Noob
Noob

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

alright, so a full summer break later, and i've finally got this bad boy running!
Took her for her first spin around the neighborhood a little while ago and I must say, going 25 up hill at half throttle is nicer than it sounds :naughty:

Still going to have to break the kit in and fine tune the idle screw, but for right now she sounds, feels, and drives nice. Here's the final list of parts:
-1986 Honda Spree NQ50
-Flat black paint
-Taz's stage two kit:
****48mm Taz big bore kit
****Taz Gears
****100 jet
-UNI Free Flow Filter
-NGK spark plug
-New gaskets
-Pro Taper hand grips

It took a while to get there, but patience has definitely paid off. Thanks to TAZ for pretty much all of the parts, and to these boards for all of the insight and tips!

Let me know if anyone has questions
now for the eye candy ;)

as you can see haha I've still got to put the side panels on, but I really wanted to ride it and rain was coming. I'm not so sure yet on what I want to do with the side panels... May run it without them for a little while, but we'll see

Feel free to leave some feedback! :peace:
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1986 Honda Spree NQ50 build **completed!**

Post by odinxxix »

looks good cant wait to see the final product, but dont for get to put them plastics around the motor, they help with cooling the motor
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Looks great dude! Nice work indeed! Thanks for sharing your pics-

Later, jon
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
i-want-2-wheelie
Noob
Noob

So it's been a few weeks, and the spree has been running decently.

I've noticed that it runs better with the "sock" form the air filter off (so running just a straight UNI black pod filter now) and I've been keeping it properly mixed.

Now for the shocker, she's been riding decently, but only between 32-34 MPH, has great pick up, the throttle is actually snappy when shes warm, and I can definitely see improvement from when it was stock to now. However, I'm still looking to push it a little more. I don't like riding it at full throttle, simply on the fact that I'm afraid to overheat anything, and don't want to blow my top end.

I'm thinking of picking up a bigger rear tire (2.75x10) [which do you guys suggest/find the most success in?], and I was also reading up a little on switching out the intake/reeds for one from an SB50. Would anyone who has done the intake mod already, be willing to provide some input? I can either:
**nq50 intake + nq50 reeds?
**nq50 intake + sb50 reeds?
**sb50 intake + sb50 reeds?
of the top three, which would be the best?

I could do it as a winter project, and really want to see this thing at 40 without having to give it full throttle down hill (just sketchy imo). Also, how much would the pulley mod help in this situation? I've read a little on it, and if I can get confirmed answers of it getting me an extra 1-2 mph, I'd be willing to go for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

****EDIT: oh, I've also noticed that there seems to be a "sweet spot" with my throttle about 2/3-3/4 of the way open. If I give it more, the spree tends to stay at the same speed, if I go back to the sweet spot shell speed back up until it reaches it's max. Is this normal/what type of problem could this be?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

There is no point in doing the SB50 reeds with the NQ50 manifold. I have all three SB50 parts, carb, manifold and reeds (carbon fiber of course) for my Spree.

I would suggest you change out your fuel lines. The old stock ones will only tolerate the corrosives (Alcohol) in our fuel today for a short while. I went with clear and did the vacuum lines at the same time.

I put the 2.75X10 tires on my Spree and half the speedometer error disappeared and a gained a bit of mph.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
i-want-2-wheelie
Noob
Noob

good to know, thanks for the help bear. Any chance you've got a location to where you bought your clear lines?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I got mine at my local motorcycle/ATV shop. He has the stuff in stock. I got clear for the vacuum line to the petcock and blue for the fuel and in the case of my Aero 80 the manual choke system I created for it.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
i-want-2-wheelie
Noob
Noob

anyone happen to know offhand the sizes needed for the hoses?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Vac fittings are 1/8". Bring a sample of each to the AutoParts store and compare. 1/4" is too big for fuel line, methinks. 3/8 or 7/32 if they make such a thing would be close.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH