Saratoga Spree~!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Saratoga Spree~!

Post by C Jerome »

Hi Friends!

My name is Jerome, I live in upstate NY and just purchased a Spree locally this past weekend(still have to check the year, but it has a kick start, so its later). I have owned a Tomos Targa Moped for about ten years and done my own maintenance for the last five. I am mechanically inclined, enjoy projects and learning new things. When the project is done the spree will primarily be ridden by my girlfriend. I look forward to contributing to the community.
I have been watching the local market for one in fair condition for a few months, this one came up on Craig's List $200 OBO, it looked pretty good in the pictures and sounded good on the phone, borrowed gradma's Honda CRV and drove 40 minutes to pick it up. It was a little rougher upon closer inspection, but still not too bad and only 1,576 miles. The owner said it was running until they took the carb off to clean it, then when they put it back on they could not get the throttle set right and every time they started it, it would be running way above idle. I ended up taking it off their hands for $75.

My goals are to get it in 100% mechanical working order, clean up the built up grunge and polish up the plastics.
Below are the photos once we got it back to the basement and the preliminary list of parts that I need/want to replace, I would like to pick up used where applicable. Let me know if you see something from the photos that should be taken care of too. I am sure I will have questions once I start to dig into the project!

Jerome

Parts List
Left brake lever & Pin - missing
Rear brake cable - missing
Rear left lens - broken
Rear Rack - bent
Battery - dead - will not charge
Rear Tire & Tube - tire is a off road one and tube has leak
Rims - present but rusty, would like used in better condition
Ignition & key - missing
Seat lock - present but no key
Replace vacuum lines - still original red ones
Replace fuel lines
Floor Mat (likely will make one)
I have the rest of the plastics off to the side, the decals are in pretty good condition too.
I have the rest of the plastics off to the side, the decals are in pretty good condition too.
CIMG3998.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
Flip Side
Flip Side
CIMG3997.jpg (43.51 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
The goodies, carb is in a box off to the side
The goodies, carb is in a box off to the side
CIMG3996.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 7453 times
Last edited by C Jerome on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'86 Spree & '00 Tomos Targa Moped
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Re: Saratoga Spree~!

Post by C Jerome »

More photos...
corrosion?
corrosion?
CIMG3994.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 7453 times
A little rusty, possible to repaint with grill paint?
A little rusty, possible to repaint with grill paint?
CIMG3992.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 7453 times
Oil leak?
Oil leak?
CIMG4009.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 7454 times
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

A little rusty, is this okay on the outside?  Previous owner said they cleaned the inside...
A little rusty, is this okay on the outside? Previous owner said they cleaned the inside...
CIMG4005.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 7453 times
Are these bent in more than normal?
Are these bent in more than normal?
CIMG4003.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 7453 times
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

First of all welcome and nice score! That pic of the oil isn't likely a leak, I would say the oil tank was overfilled or cap left off.

From the looks of things you have an 86 :wink:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

welcome!! :smile: and good find, yes your turn signals are really bent, might want to put a rear rack on your list of needs, and i agree with martynkim looks like an 86
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

odinxxix wrote:welcome!! :smile: and good find, yes your turn signals are really bent, might want to put a rear rack on your list of needs, and i agree with martynkim looks like an 86

Yeah, those signals should be straight. :surprise:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Welcome to the forum.

If they aren't rusted thru, try banging them back into shape with a rubber hammer.

If you need a leg shield, I have one for you cheap.
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Thanks for the welcomes.
Thank you for the leg shield offer, I have all the plastics and they are in good condition save a few scrapes, I just have to read up on how to brighten them some.
I will try to bend the turn signals back out, I have no idea how they did that, there is only mild surface rust as expected.
Good news on the oil spill, I will wash out the foam.

What is my best plan for obtaining the parts I need, contact two of these people who are doing big part outs with my list and see who offers the best price?

Jerome
Front plastics, one of the worst plastic spots is that bend you see on the front fender
Front plastics, one of the worst plastic spots is that bend you see on the front fender
CIMG4010.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

your small front plastic is upside down, you should just cut your turnsignals off it looks way better, and marty and kim is the man to talk to for parts great guy!
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

For shining up those faded plastics, I use caranuba car wax and good ol elbow grease.
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Thanks for the upside down note... I just set the two pieces in place but not locked in to get the picture.
I think I will have to give the plastic a good wash in the laundry room sink then i will get the wax out!
After the holiday I will contact marty and kim about parts.

Jerome
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

fastplastic wrote:your small front plastic is upside down, you should just cut your turnsignals off it looks way better, and marty and kim is the man to talk to for parts great guy!
In most places any more, no turn signals means-ticket.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

No worries. I plan to keep them, it's safer anyway.
Jerome
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

another reason to love Michigan lol
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Started to do some work on the spree this weekend. Took all the plastics off except the front wheel cover and washed them down in the utility sink. When I get a chance they will be waxed up!

Today I went to work on it some and wanted to re assemble the carb, they PO said they cleaned it but I was skeptical so I disassembled and cleaned it up, I think it looks good now. I checked the service manual for the assembly scheme and it looks like I am missing the retaining piece for that gold pin. I received the carb in that red towel disassembled from the PO and the retainer was not in there. Lets play name that part, I think the two large bolts hold the carb back on to the body, the spring is for the throttle, the collar goes with the gold pin, then I am not sure where the little screw and the two other parts fit in.

I also took the exhaust off so that I can replace the rear tire, it sounds like there is a bunch of carbon built up in there, surprising since the odometer is only at 1500 miles, I noted some carbon build up on the outlet where the muffler bolts on to the cylinder head, I will read up on how to remove.

Lastly, I found that the front brake cable is there, but when you squeeze the handle it does not spring back. What could the issue be, a missing spring? How do I remedy, take the front wheel apart?

Jerome
Pieces
Pieces
IMG_0047.jpg (50.87 KiB) Viewed 7310 times