Saratoga Spree~!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Re: Saratoga Spree~!

Post by C Jerome »

Picked up the hardware I needed yesterday and everything is screwed down.
Today I signed up for insurance and made the dreaded trip to the DMV, needless to say it was a pain as usual. If this lady is so unhappy working there she should retire or get another job! If I am lucky I will receive a "transferable registration" in three months to prove my ownership.
I did get a license plate and a nontransferable registration($25) and paid my sales tax, a whole 70 cents!
The last thing that needs attention is the front brake cable, I have the wrong one, I ordered the correct part number from the dealer but is not the right cable.

Jerome

'86 Spree & '00 Tomos Targa Moped
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Wow Looking Good . Nice Mods. Mine used to look kinda like yours .
Attachments
100_4763.jpg
100_4763.jpg (160.44 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Thanks! I wanted to keep it pretty simple and just streamline it it a bit with the new signals.
do you have Stock kick stand, or is that a mod? It looks nice, I should paint mine.
Jerome
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Very nice jerome, im likin the turnsignal mods an the body looks new on it. Keep up the good work!
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Thanks. The body is in pretty good condition for it's age. From this distance it looks great. Up close there are some scraped edges, scratches and stuff and some od the stickers are partially missing. The thing I find most annoying is some of the tabs were broken off the body panels so they don't line up exactly, but what can you do.

I was trying to think of what else I can do cosmetically to jaz it up. I was considering paint the kick starter lever red and leaving the rubber part how it is.
Jerome
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

I had one exact to yours an i did the rims in black powder coat then added red 7mm rim stripes to them. It looked amazing an really set off the spree
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

C Jerome wrote:Thanks! I wanted to keep it pretty simple and just streamline it it a bit with the new signals.
do you have Stock kick stand, or is that a mod? It looks nice, I should paint mine.
Jerome
Stock stand just paint ,Also your Led turn signal idea is great and the mounting holes are already there .
Good thinking !
Attachments
IMG_7283.jpg
IMG_7283.jpg (151.12 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Thanks, I got the idea for the LEDs from another member, Jong, who put the LED strip on his spree. I just used the two sided car trim tape stuff to hold them on, and cover the mounting holes.
I will be painting my stand and kick starter this weekend!
Nice idea on the wheels, a project for next winter. I Just found out that a member of the local scooter group has a shop and started doing blasting and powder coating and if offering cost pricing for members!

Jerome
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Last week I added a little red accent paint to the mirror, kick start, and stand. Check it out...
I dont think there is much else to do but wait for the warm weather, but looking at the picture I realized I have to polish up the floor board some, its a bit chalky and it stands out.
I have it registered, insured, and plate installed. The scooter is still over at my grandparents place since they have a nice two car garage and I don't have one at my Apt. Every weekend when I visit them I take it outside and it starts on the first press of the starter, I take it for a little ride up and down their bock a few times and then put it away.
One think I am thinking about is how to secure it at my apartment. We have a side yard and last year I bought a 24x24inch concrete tile and put an eye bolt in it then ran my lock cable through the eye and then frame of my moped to secure it. I am thinking I will use this same square but add some pavers on the side so I can put one cycle on each side.
How do you keep yours secure if you don't have a garage? Have you found a cover you like?

Red Accents

I made a better retainer clip for the cover as I felt the OEM one was not really long enough to securely hold it. Also if you look closely you can see a little black dot near the bottom center of the door. I drilled a tiny hole and tied a piece of string to it and then onto the vacuum line, I am not loosing that door!
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

So I moved the scooter over to our apartment yesterday. I made a nice parking space for it right next to my moped. I picked up this master lock python cable lock. Dont get me wrong, a nice set of cable cutters will make quick work of it, but it should keep any a-hole passing by from trying to walk away with it. I also bought a cover, size medium, from amazon, it arrived was too large, so I returned and bought the small which was unavailable when I made my original purchase.
Today I went and topped off the tires and gas tank at the station, even splurged for '89. My first impression from riding it around town is that is okay 0-5 but then the 6-12 or so, its a bit slow, then 13-20+ comes on fast. One thing that is not so great in my area is that there is sort of the low side and high side of town, going up any of the hills is quite slow especially if you have to stop at the bottom or on the hill for a light. Is this the general experience? Want to confirm this is to be expected, I think it is.
I also want to post a video of the sound while running to make sure I am on target and nothing sounds off.

Lastly the only issue I have noticed is hard starting after it has been warmed up a bunch. When cold I hold the break press the button and bam it starts right up first press. However, on sunday a friend and I rode it around for maybe 15 minutes then turned off. Came back out to start it about 15 minutes later to ride it home and it would not start up right away. I had to press the starter several times.
Today I rode around town, scooter more than warmed up then stopped at the post office. Go inside send my package come out press start and its not starting. The starter is running, but the engine is not firing up. I give it a little throttle while I press the button and I got it going. I have not tired the kick start when it is hot to see if this makes any difference.
Any ideas what I may need to adjust or what could be wrong?

Jerome
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

trick is to give it gas when its warm while trying to start :2thumbs:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

fastplastic wrote:trick is to give it gas when its warm while trying to start :2thumbs:

Very true.....Every scooter I own has to have a little throttle applied, when trying to start it warm.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »

Good to know. I will try next time with a little throttle again and see if it fires right up.
With my Tomos moped it starts on on kick when its warm, no throttle, easier than when its cold.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

is the tomos a 4 stroke?
C Jerome
Goped
Goped

Post by C Jerome »