1984 Honda Spree Score!!!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

ScooterTweaks
BMX
BMX

1984 Honda Spree Score!!!

Post by ScooterTweaks »

Hey guys Merry Christmas! Or, day after!!! So Dec. 24th, the day before Christmas, I decide to get up and head out at 4:30am from Austin to Sulpher Springs, Tx. north east of Dallas, which is a 4.25hr drive one way speeding, to pick up a 1984 Spree and 1986 Aero 50. GOT EM FOR $200 with some extra parts!!! :rock: The spree is missing the right hand side rear panel and rear rack/blinkers. I only need a panel. I dont care about the blinkers or rack. It has fuel flow and good compression, but no spark. Hoping to take some time on it tomorrow to have all that worked out. The Aero is an easy 9 out of 10 and is only missing the middle section between the rear blinkers and has such minimal scratches, much less than you would expect from a 1986 scooter. Unbelievable!!! It has spark and tries to start when primed with fuel but I am sure the fuel in the tank and carb is bad and the starter motor is stuck. I will also be addressing these issues tomorrow.

I have plans for both and will post separate builds. Pics on both tomorrow.

Plans for the spree:

custom drop bars.
touch screen gps for speedo (keeping dash indicator lights).
removing front and rear bulky blinkers, flushing in Vespa P series clears into front panel and rear panels.
cropping rear panels at tail light to look more sleek.
removing oil pump, premix only.

bike will be painted the same color dark charcoal as the honda s2000, wheels, inner floor board area, and diamond plate floor board all black.
the engine has many directions, not sure what i will do yet. got another 85 engine sitting here for experimental development. the engine will either be using a dio 125cc stroker kit or a pocket bike stuffer/stroker kit at a total displacement of 52cc.

before any of you say, "just drop in the dio motor or elite motor blah blah blah"... its been done and besides I have an 87 elite, 85 and 86 aero with cvt and performance options to play with. i want to use the spree cases and keep the idea of its function alive in this build. meaning, depend on rpm and clutch slip/engagement for power delivery. i will change/modify the pulleys to be the best at both take off and top speed. with power i can get rpm and great acceleration. my derbi scooters run 13.5k to 15k regularly. i have not put a tach on my 87 elite yet but with the work done and the amazing sound it makes i wouldnt be surprised if it hits 12-12.5k which makes me believe that with more porting and better squish and after market crank i should be able to get the same results or higher. gopeds with the 46cc engine can make power into the 14k rpm range. the spree is similar to the design of these goped motors, just reed/case inducted which should be more efficient.

thoughts and comments are very very welcomed. pics to be posted on the bike tomorrow.

ScooterSteve
ScooterSteve
ScooterTweaks
512-88-SCOOT

Honda (1984 Spree, 1985/1986 Aero, 1987 Elite SE50, 2008 Metropolitan)
Derbi (1999 Predator, 2002/2003/2004 GP1, 2004 GPR50
2002 Kymco B&W 250
2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
2004 Yamaha Majesty 400
2009 Sym Mio 50
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1984 Honda Spree Score!!!

Post by burnt_toast »

scooter steve! supp man, sounds like some sick plans u got there :naughty:

can't wait to see the results.

ps u should totally buy my drag spree frame :wink:
projects galore :nerd:
monkeywrench
Spree
Spree

Post by monkeywrench »

ScooterTweaks wrote:Hey guys Merry Christmas! Or, day after!!! So Dec. 24th, the day before Christmas, I decide to get up and head out at 4:30am from Austin to Sulpher Springs, Tx. north east of Dallas, which is a 4.25hr drive one way speeding, to pick up a 1984 Spree and 1986 Aero 50. GOT EM FOR $200 with some extra parts!!! :rock: The spree is missing the right hand side rear panel and rear rack/blinkers. I only need a panel. I dont care about the blinkers or rack. It has fuel flow and good compression, but no spark. Hoping to take some time on it tomorrow to have all that worked out. The Aero is an easy 9 out of 10 and is only missing the middle section between the rear blinkers and has such minimal scratches, much less than you would expect from a 1986 scooter. Unbelievable!!! It has spark and tries to start when primed with fuel but I am sure the fuel in the tank and carb is bad and the starter motor is stuck. I will also be addressing these issues tomorrow.

I have plans for both and will post separate builds. Pics on both tomorrow.

Plans for the spree:

custom drop bars.
touch screen gps for speedo (keeping dash indicator lights).
removing front and rear bulky blinkers, flushing in Vespa P series clears into front panel and rear panels.
cropping rear panels at tail light to look more sleek.
removing oil pump, premix only.

bike will be painted the same color dark charcoal as the honda s2000, wheels, inner floor board area, and diamond plate floor board all black.
the engine has many directions, not sure what i will do yet. got another 85 engine sitting here for experimental development. the engine will either be using a dio 125cc stroker kit or a pocket bike stuffer/stroker kit at a total displacement of 52cc.

before any of you say, "just drop in the dio motor or elite motor blah blah blah"... its been done and besides I have an 87 elite, 85 and 86 aero with cvt and performance options to play with. i want to use the spree cases and keep the idea of its function alive in this build. meaning, depend on rpm and clutch slip/engagement for power delivery. i will change/modify the pulleys to be the best at both take off and top speed. with power i can get rpm and great acceleration. my derbi scooters run 13.5k to 15k regularly. i have not put a tach on my 87 elite yet but with the work done and the amazing sound it makes i wouldnt be surprised if it hits 12-12.5k which makes me believe that with more porting and better squish and after market crank i should be able to get the same results or higher. gopeds with the 46cc engine can make power into the 14k rpm range. the spree is similar to the design of these goped motors, just reed/case inducted which should be more efficient.

thoughts and comments are very very welcomed. pics to be posted on the bike tomorrow.

ScooterSteve
cool! i just scored a spree last week for free. its apsolutly flawless. nothing missing and minor scratches. only down fall is it has bad crank bearings and cylinder, piston.
here kitty kitty kitty
http://www.youtube.com/warmonkey80
ScooterTweaks
BMX
BMX

Post by ScooterTweaks »

ah why are you selling that bike? thought it was the one??? got another project on the way or what? saw you had the red elite for sale. selling anything else? spree body panels? aero body panels?

one of these weekends we need to hook up at your place so i can compare the af05e internals to some of your elite/dio parts. i am getting ready to build a few other af05e engines and want to see what gearing, maybe crank, and a few other parts are interchangeable.

btw, did not take pics yet guys. it was gross here in austin, tx. today and a lot of the bikes stayed in the shop all crammed up so no room to take pics. as soon as it clears up!!!

ps. the aero is now running! runs a steady 38mph and goes like a champ up hills. needs some more cleaning and tlc before i feel comfortable running faster.

later
ScooterSteve
ScooterTweaks
512-88-SCOOT

2002 Kymco B&W 250
2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
2004 Yamaha Majesty 400
2009 Sym Mio 50
ScooterTweaks
BMX
BMX

Post by ScooterTweaks »

Well after some web surfing I found a lot of good used parts for the spree. I have new rear panels, the petcock cover, a new upper and lower handle bar cover, all new electronics (cdi, stator, reg/rec.) and a few other things. I am working mostly on my 86 Aero at the moment but next week I want to start seeing if the rims from my aero, elite, or metro, will fit the spree in hopes of running much larger/fatter tires. i really want that fat look if possible. Maybe look into how to adapt the brakes if the wheel fits as well. I have a friend who is all about filming everything he does to his bikes and is inspiring me to do the same so I suppose I will be posting more pics and vids of work I do.

Happy new year to everyone!
ScooterSteve
ScooterTweaks
512-88-SCOOT

2002 Kymco B&W 250
2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
2004 Yamaha Majesty 400
2009 Sym Mio 50
ScooterTweaks
BMX
BMX

Post by ScooterTweaks »

woooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!! got home today to find lots of stuff in the mail box: SPREE ELECTRICAL! now i can get this thing running again. not to mention my polini 6.2 pocket bike pipe. whole pipe from ebay for $35 shipped! saweat!

tomorrow i will get after the electrical bits and get her running. then, install the pipe with high compression head, larger jet, and who knows what else.

got the camera so should be able to take lots of pics tomorrow. check out my 86 aero 50 thread. finally got some pics up. this is the bike i bought with the spree, $200 for them both!!!
ScooterSteve
ScooterTweaks
512-88-SCOOT

2002 Kymco B&W 250
2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
2004 Yamaha Majesty 400
2009 Sym Mio 50
redcliff
Noob
Noob

Cheap electric scooters

Post by redcliff »

wow this is nice article i like it
ScooterTweaks
BMX
BMX

Post by ScooterTweaks »

update:
NEW PARTS ARRIVED!
stator, cdi, volt reg/rect, starter relay, blinker relay, and ignition coil
full wiring harness in, dirty, but perfect shape
had time today to play with the spree. when i picked it up it would turn over but had no spark. i tested everything from front to back and found that the stator was bad. it had "voltage" output from the white and yellow but nothing from the black/red wire. if you download the spree manual it tells you exactly what the readings per wire or pinout should be using your multi meter.

this is the original stator and you can see the damaged area. once replaced and everything checked i hit the starter button and SPARK!!!
each pole end is very rusted and looks like it was rubbing at some point
this is the inside of the flywheel. you can see it is covered in rust or corrosion. light scratching.

side note:
everyone of you should have this tool: small, pen like, bends to shape, LED light. SO F-ING BRIGHT!
some of the pics here were illuminated with this light. just bend it to hold where you need it
another side note:
i lent my pulley puller to a buddy about 20 miles away and couldnt take the time to get it, so i went off to autozone to find a solution!!!
here is the puller i used
it is not a perfect fit. however my flywheel has some rust so it might fit correctly. once tightened down it worked just fine.
might not be exact but works great in a pinch.

anyway, got it to run. it had water or bad fuel sitting in the bottom of the case and could not blow it out. i filled it with some clean gas, spun the motor over, then dumped it all out. once it was all cleared out and the carb was blown through it started right up. before i left tonight i filled the crank case and carb with marvel mystery oil. tomorrow i will clean it all out and most of the "junk" and carbon should come right off once started up.

first step now that it is running is to take some test numbers down, maybe:
top speed
time to 20mph
time to 100feet
time from 15mph to 25mph

then work on the exhaust port, intake ports, intake inlet, intake manifold, shave the head, and add the new exhaust. not sure what size the factory carb is but i want to go a bit larger. the whole engine concept will be based on pocket bike design. we will see how things work out. a thought now is just a thought... you never know what walls you will have to climb over!

ScooterSteve
ScooterSteve
ScooterTweaks
512-88-SCOOT

2002 Kymco B&W 250
2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
2004 Yamaha Majesty 400
2009 Sym Mio 50
thadpk
Goped
Goped

Post by thadpk »

Nice Finds! Cant wait to see more pics :thumbsup:
'86 Spree NQ50 (Ported)