Flash 3.26

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Risky Business

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I took a chance on three purchases this weekend.
Grainger's 1/4" Type "J" thermocouple for $31. shipped may or may not be the correct spec for my VDO gauge.

Jiangwayne's got a good deal on the V8 28mm pipe on the website. Around $125 shipped is hard to beat. UPS says it's halfway to Deepinnaharta already!

After much deliberation, ol' buddy DayWOT's Nicasil 49mm bore (calculates out to 78cc, Patrick.) will reside atop Flash III's lauded AF16E crankcase later this week, if the shipping cost is any indication. The Nicasil appeared to be of substantial quality, and at least two Forum denizens praised its performance for the money. With meager but rich mixture supplied by my heavily-upjetted stock carb for break-in, I hope to break it in gently and then add carburetion to approach its peak potential.

I'm keeping stock pump, but will start adding partial (60:1) premix again. Smokin'! :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Wheelman-111

Last Tests With Stock 50cc Bore and Stock Pipe

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Current setup: Stock bore, intake, carb and pipe. Pirelli SL26 90/90x10 rear tire.
Juggling jets and saturation-oiling stock filter. Settled on 85 being a little rich - 82 probably ideal but never installed. Temps ranging down from stock/lightly oiled filter. 300-325 with rise to ~375 off-throtle. Very quick return to <300 reopening throttle.

Now swapped stock box for budget-priced Uni. Your dealer can order them and not charge shipping. The 1" fits the stock bellmouth.

Copiously oiled the Uni filter, the 85 jet was a tad lean. Temps went up again, and a lean stumble noted for the first time. That stumble was cured by the 88, but the top-end seemed definitely decreased compared to stock box and the 85. Barely saw 45 indicated, or 42-43 actual. Is the stock box that good at evening out pulses and gaining performance? Will the Uni or the stock airbox best complement the 78cc bore and V* 28mm pipe next week? What jet should I install first?

These and other trivial questions will be answered next week.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
losthope
Elite
Elite

Re: Flash III Build Chronicles

Post by losthope »

Id leave the stock air box. im running like a 100 main in mine with no air box. this is a stock bike. seems very inefficient. the jet would have to be even bigger with bore.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Wow, a 100? What's your setup?
Wheelman-111
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

my setup is stock.
Wheelman-111

100 On Stock?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

100 sounds very big to me. On the Aero 65 with pipe and Arreche filter, a 96 proved optimal for an 8500 RPM engine. Others have suggested up to 100-ish with similar setups.

On my stock Elite I've had the 88 / Uni pod filter on it for a short time as described in CHT Gauge thread - Performance Tech. It was quite rich. So with only the removal of your air filter (?) "running no filter"?) for a mod, what led you to select a 100? What temps, performance, and plug color?

Thanks for sharing.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Nikasil Install

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Friday PM the DayWot Nikasil bore kit arrived in all its shrink-wrapped glory.

How I longed to get right to work, but had to head out for my weekly commute from Deepinnaharta to Yellarosa, Texas. I had the motor in the boudoir in under 20 minutes this Sunday night.

The stock bore came off painlessly. It should, with all of 180 miles logged. Clock says 5 hours' run time. Mirror-smooth, cross-hatching still visible.

Scraped base gasket, ported the boost, popped on the piston, double-checking the wrist pin clips, and lowered the cylinder, generously lubed with GN-2. The head is included along with a new wrist pin, but curiously no exhaust studs. 2-nut removal was easier than anticipated. Torqued on with 12 pounds and its new head gasket; the "V" pointing down. Pic pointing Left... :( Forgot to rotate it, but you can tilt your head. :)

Buttoned up with the shroud showing no fitment issues. Even the plug hole lines up close enough.

V8 muffler expected tomorrow. I drilled my stock 82 to a 106 jet size, add a couple ounces of oil to the tank, reinstall the engine and fire it up! We'll see if the stock carb is up to the task.

Aluminum bore break-in advice welcome.
Wheelman-111
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

What did you do/use to port the boost? I have always been concerned of scraps falling down into the crank.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Right Way is to split the cases, remove the crankshaft, bolt the halves back together and hack away. Wash everything thoroughly then reassemble.

The Wheelman Way is to stuff an oily rag down into the crankcase and hope it catches all the debris. Tape off everything that's better off not being filled with aluminum shavings. Roto-Zip tool with carbide tile-cutting bit to do the deed. Finish with diamond hand files. Wash out with solvent, let dry, then slosh some GN-2 around in there. Oh, and cross fingers.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Smoke and Noise in Scooterville

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The bore kit installed last night. Re-mounted engine this evening, prepared for YMS V8 28mm pipe install from JiangWayne:

That's it on the bottom. It's not really that much lighter than stock.

Issues:
1. A bit fussy to center the exhaust flange on the port.
2. The centerstand bumper was too far outside, allowing the stand to vibrate against the metal bracket with an annoyingly loud buzz. Fixed with vise grips and a good strong Wheelman arm. Just bent the bracket to align with the stand.

Buttoned up it looked a li'l somp'n lak dis:

I had installed a stock jet drilled to 106. Crossed fingers, held my breath and...

It started. Idled fine. Wouldn't take throttle. At all. Just bogged down and threatened to stall. Did stall once.

OK 106 is too rich by a long shot. I lowered the needle one click, knowing it was unlikely to help. The difference was negligible but pointed the way: Leaner.

I had swapped a stock 78 for a 100 with a Forum denizen, and as luck would have it, the 100 arrived tonight.
In it went. Still way rich with the stock box. What to do? Removed airbox and it ran OK. A bit balky at first, but at least it took throttle. Back on went the UNI that didn't do much for the stock bore. Now we're talkin'!

I did two heat cycles - idling with the 106 for 5 minutes, then a short ride around the complex with the 100. Errands demanded a ride - about 5 miles in all with mostly part throttle - the needle still as low as it goes.
Temps ranged around 325-350 with brief swings to 375 off-throttle. I raised the needle again and it seems to like 350. The stock iron bore swung wildly to the 450 range with no apparent harm, but I'd like to keep this one cooler, at least during break in.

Judging from the response from 30 to 40, this will be a very strong 78cc once the jetting is dialed in. It revs past 8K with the 7g rollers, but I don't dare see how much above for now. Top speed seen tonight was an indicated 40-ish, with loads to go.

Need to fuss a little more with jetting, but not sure if it needs a 98 or a 102. When I can see the tach I'll know if the 7gs can stay. Too dark for unlit TinyTach.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Cruised low and slow into work this morning. Despite ambient temperatures well below what they were last night, the CHT gauge repeatedly flirted with 400-450 off-throttle, which it didn't do last night. Either I'm seeing better in daylight, or there's some truth to the dogma that Humidity = Leaner. Raised the needle all the way when I got to the parking lot and re-tested. Ahhh, back to comfortably cooler. Any thoughts? Is the temperature going to go down much as it breaks in?
Wheelman-111
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

those are some spicy temps mahh friend, alum should run quite a bit cooler
projects galore :nerd:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

BT submits:
those are some spicy temps mahh friend, alum should run quite a bit cooler
Yup, a little "Toasty". No offense, y'understand. :)

When I re-started and rode around the parking garage after raising the needle it stayed below 350, but of course it wasn't yet fully warm. If I get nervous, I'll try a 102. Can the difference be so fine that a 100 is hot and a 106 is so rich it barely runs? I have a couple of stock sizes I can drill out, and B3's sending me a jet set that goes from 100-ish to 110.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

"Mystery Jet", Solved!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Well, the jet I had drilled out to 106 was way big, as mentioned. I figured the 100 jet I swapped would be in the ballpark. The jet appeared fully stock, nicely engraved with the "100" right there on the brass. I installed it without a second thought.

Come to find out that the scooter was now running a bit lean. "How can a 106 be way rich and a 100 be too lean", I axed myself. I figured that I might need to drill one of my stock ones to 103 or so and split the difference.

So I removed the "100" this evening and on a whim decided to gauge its size. The 99 wire gauge wouldn't fit. Neither did the 98. The 96 passed through but quite snug to my oafish fingers. So the "100" was really closer to a 97! No wonder!

I just drilled the "100"/97 out to the closest size I had, a 101. Thunderstorms and a Tornado in Deepinnaharta - cars overturned in the Wally-World parking lot a half-mile from here, no kidding! - preclude testing for tonight, but I have renewed hope in the righness of the Universe. I was about ready to stick the stock airbox back on, but that story's been told. ^
Wheelman-111
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: "Mystery Jet", Solved!

Post by Bear45-70 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:
Thunderstorms and a Tornado in Deepinnaharta - cars overturned in the Wally-World parking lot a half-mile from here, no kidding! - preclude testing for tonight, but I have renewed hope in the righness of the Universe. I was about ready to stick the stock airbox back on, but that story's been told. ^
Talk about being a pansy azz. Won't ride his scoot in a little itty bitty thunderstorm with a few little tornadoes tossed in. Wheelman in action Image Image
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree