Flash 3.26

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Flash III Resurrected

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Flash III came to the WHAC* recently:

It's a 2001 Elite SR purchased with a plausible 33 miles showing. I want/need a light 2-stroke and can't summon the Franklins for a new Zuma. (That thing weighs over 200 lbs. anyway...) For me, it was the only New 2-Stroke game in town.

Now you may ax why such a cherry scoot should be messed up by ham-fisted Wheelman mechanical "skills"? Not to worry, the many lessons of the past will avoid the detours and pitfalls learnt with Flash I & II, a nice 1987 Aero.

Early Malossi + CT manifold + Keihin VE24 CV-Type carb (below):

I bought lots of stuff I didn't need for that one, and I sold stuff I did need sometimes. Now I know a bit more about what works, what doesn't. This time I'm making a plan and sticking with it.

Early mods limited to bigger Pirelli out back:
Yes, that's a front wheel, but you get the idea. Turns out both wheels now touch the ground with stock centerstand. That's with only the bigger back tire. Installing the front one will lift the stand, which will need to be extended. I'll wear the Dunlop a while.

Instrumentation is the biggest help for mods. Here're mine:

Goals:
1. Big-bore kit in a mild state of tune for reliable and durable power. I don't plan to go 70MPH. 60 will be more than enough.
2. Quiet enough to keep the neighbors from complaining.
3. Shoestring/proceeds from parts sales budget.
4. Stock/sleeper outward appearance.

Gears @ 9.1:1 are on their way.

Need to select and purchase a 72cc (and quiet-enough) pipe.

Big bore quandary:
1. Proven-durable Polini (or Malossi) 47mm? ($$$)
2. Nikasil 48mm kit? ($$)
3. Enter the unknown world of Taiwanese 50 or 51mm?? ($)

Last, can I get what I want from the stock carb? Have spare jets on the way, will drill to suit. Or must I resort to this?:

More on this story as it develops.

*Wheelman's Home for Abandoned Cycles
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Flash III Build Chronicles

Post by mr pibbs »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Instrumentation is the biggest help for mods. Here're mine:
What is the gauge on the left side? Is that temp?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Looks like Cylinder Head Temp...
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Yep, definitely looks like CHT. Shoulda went digital :shock:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Actually it's an onboard rectal thermometer probe. Gotta monitor for heatstroke here in hot, humid Deepinnaharta. :oops:
I got it from a back shelf at a BMW dealership that was closing shop. Paid under $25, works like a charm.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Wheelman-111

Step 1: Limp's 9:1s

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Limp's gears arrived inside 3 days. Thanks, Limp!

The disassembly required plastics removal. Again. I could do the Aero in 3 minutes; not so the Elite with its fussy tabs yet.

The driven gear #2 fell off the countershaft too easily. Thrust washers everywhere.

The Ruima shaft fits much tighter. I like that. It isn't identical to the stocker however.

Shorter bearing surface above. Thicker #3. More spline area. Total length the same. Is this why we leave 1-2 thrust washers off? Anyone know where/which washers to use?

I should have reassembly done tomorrow night, after Honda-san presses #4 onto my axle.

Diagrams or photo experience welcome.

It remains to be seen how much 50cc can do with these longer legs.

Bore and pipe up next. Anybody need Spree or Aero hardware? This thread depends on you! :)
Wheelman-111
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

the plastic washer goes on the inside and metal one on the outside.if the trans is tight and you can't turn the gears after you tighten the cover,take it off and take the plastic washer and replace with a thin metal one .
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks, Baka. When I pulled my cover off, TWO metal washers dropped out. The plastic one stuck to a film of oil on the engine side. Looking at the difference in the width of the gears, I don't think all 3 will fit back on. I'll try your suggestion.
Wheelman-111
akskoot
Spree
Spree

Post by akskoot »

I bet you end up missing your Aero. Just my 2 cents. There's a lot of Elites runnin around and I've had more than one of them tell me they like the Aero styling better. It's just more of a classic/vintage look. Basically, you traded in your Barracuda for a Mitsubishi. :lol:
1985 Aero 50--'87 AF05 motor, ported and polished, Ruckus Vari, 1.5K torque spring, 1K clutch springs, drilled exhaust/airbox,#85 jet, Pirelli 3.0-10s= 45mph flat
http://www.myspace.com/the1120s Image
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Thanks, Baka. When I pulled my cover off, TWO metal washers dropped out. The plastic one stuck to a film of oil on the engine side. Looking at the difference in the width of the gears, I don't think all 3 will fit back on. I'll try your suggestion.
wheelman, see post here:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=4&t=9441
projects galore :nerd:
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

akskoot wrote:I bet you end up missing your Aero. Just my 2 cents. There's a lot of Elites runnin around and I've had more than one of them tell me they like the Aero styling better. It's just more of a classic/vintage look. Basically, you traded in your Barracuda for a Mitsubishi. :lol:
too true!

honda should have continued production with the aero, but put the dio motor in it. then everybody is happy!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I really like the Aero styling too. However I really notice all the little things Honda does so well to refine and smooth out the ride when I'm on the Elite. I can't really see its styling from the riding position anyway. When they ride and handle as smoothly as the SR, I guess Mitsubishis are OK by me.

Pic of the Ruima and stock countershafts added above...
Wheelman-111
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Wheelman wrote:When I pulled my cover off, TWO metal washers dropped out. The plastic one stuck to a film of oil on the engine side. Looking at the difference in the width of the gears, I don't think all 3 will fit back on. I'll try your suggestion.
Looked at various years of the 94 and up Elite. Mid 1998 model year they made some changes and added a thrust washer as shown below.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Aahhh-HAH!! So that's where metal washer #3 fell from off of. (Note double preposition dangling...) So one metal one goes on the axle shaft end, the other to the counter shaft.

Unless I can find a spare metal one, I may stick the plastic one between two sandpaper blocks and wring my hands with glee... I think I'll have time to put the trans with its new longer legs back on tonight. Wheel, pipe, taillight and go for a test run...
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

9:1s Installed on Stock Bore

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Buttoned up tranny in under an hour.

Note: the stock plastic washer on the engine end of the countershaft needs to be replaced with a second thinner metal one for the countershaft not to bind. Tell your customers, Limp.

Reassembled all but plastics for a test ride. It seems that the limiting factor with stock gearing was not engine power but RPM, which is cured by taller gears. The power was there, the 9:1s give it something to do.

I knew it when the speedo needle nudged the "MPH" mark on the instrument face. Nearly horizontal ... :)

Full disclosure requires me to state that I wasn't going uphill. I suppose few boasts about top speeds ever are. ~10 MPH tailwind and Deepinnaharta 2% "hill" descent was involved. However a usable 45 was available anytime.

Going from a max of just over 40 to almost 50 is a worthwhile mod, I feel. It will improve more once I swap the stock 8.5g rollers for 7s, too.

Acceleration from 0 to 5 is noticeably slower, after that I didn't notice any decline in takeoff. The only other mods are Polini clutch - which can be adjusted by tensioning the springs without dismantling and purchasing new parts - and Polini vario, + bigger Pirelli 90/90 rubber astern.

While I had the skins off I hooked up the business end of the CHT gauge. Wish I hadn't:

That's after 5-10 minutes stopped!

It ran as usual, but the constant 350-400 reading was disturbing. I thunk it's a gauge/connection issue because a couple of times it jumped to 500 for a second before jumping back down to 400. Stock airbox, new oiled filter, pipe etc. Revs below 7500 except at top speed.

Maybe the AF16 generates more heat, or Ragged Edge EPA-approved 78 main jet is way lean as I've always suspected or maybe its plastic shroud retains heat that much better than the 05's? Whatever the reason Flash II never ran that hot.
Wheelman-111