Bolt On Spree-Dio swap Shock Mount SLOPE DISTANCE TESTER....

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Bolt On Spree-Dio swap Shock Mount SLOPE DISTANCE TESTER....

Post by richdavison34 »

The pics below show a "test kit" that I have manufactured for spree-rider.

The theory is to hold the plate against the bottom of your frame in the area that the new shock needs to mount. You will then screw in the bolts until they touch the bottom of the pressed frame halves. The nuts are self locking, but it may help to throw a little lock tight on the threads to seal them in place. (Or you could use a file or something to score the threads as they exit the nut as a marking point if you didn't want to leave the bolts in place). Once that's done, the tester would be mailed back to me so I could evaluate the distances/slope.

I think this is just about the best way to get this right without actually having a spree frame on hand to look at. This tester was made using some generic measurements provided to me by spree-rider.

What do you guys think?
Attachments
IMG_3564.jpg
IMG_3564.jpg (95.25 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
IMG_3563.jpg
IMG_3563.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
IMG_3561.jpg
IMG_3561.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
"Normality is an illusion rooted in the disease of fear, the unafflicted labeled insane".

"The removal of ignorance is more important that the acquisition of knowledge."

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Re: Bolt On Spree-Dio swap Shock Mount SLOPE DISTANCE TESTER

Post by richdavison34 »

With bolts installed.
Attachments
IMG_3567.jpg
IMG_3567.jpg (91.55 KiB) Viewed 7493 times
IMG_3566.jpg
IMG_3566.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 7493 times
"Normality is an illusion rooted in the disease of fear, the unafflicted labeled insane".

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Post by richdavison34 »

Like this.....
Attachments
Test.jpg
Test.jpg (254.49 KiB) Viewed 7490 times

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

If you want it to fit perfect against the bottom of the frame the thing to do would be to get some clay and press if against the bottom of the pressed frame so it captured the contours of it and you can then take the dimensions off of the clay
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

richdavison34 wrote:
I think this is just about the best way to get this right without actually having a spree frame on hand to look at. This tester was made using some generic measurements provided to me by spree-rider.

What do you guys think?
I think that trying to make a part for a scooter that you do not have will be very difficult.

Also, I think that this shock mount project is kinda a waste of time. Let me explain.

Doing a "spree/dio swap" is actually pretty easy if you own tools. The more tools you own, the easier it is.

The tools needed for an easy conversion are:

1. Screwdrivers
2 .metric sockets and wrenches
3. wire strippers/cutters
4. Drill and metal drill bits
5. sawzall or metal hacksaw
6. chopsaw or horizontal bandsaw
7. welder (optional)

most people have 1 and 2 (we will call them catagory A people)

some even have 1-4 (category B)

but very few have 5-7 (Category C)

Now ask yourself , who would want to buy a bolt on spree-dio shock mount?

Category A people cant use it .....they don't own a drill. :sad:

Category B people don't need it because they do own a drill, and could just drill a hole though the frame, stick a bolt through and mount a shock. Plus category B people could never finish th project because the have no tools to cut metal. :confused:

Category C People won't buy it because they have all the necessary tools to do it themselves. :smile:

You clearly have talent, I would hate to see it wasted on this.
If you want to make a spree/dio conversion part.... :imo: you should focus on making a motor mount for the AF16 engine that fits the spree frame with out cutting. Extra bonus points if you can design it with out interfering with the stock centerstand. :2thumbs:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Post by richdavison34 »

Thanks for the feeback traffic.

Back when I first posted asking if anyone needed anything welded or fabricated, I got this responce.....
I'm probably not the only person interested in a bolt-on shock mount for Spree motor swaps, if its possible.
From what I can see in the threads no-one has dilled a hole straight through the frame and installed a bolt. It loos like the mounting position has to be below the fame, or your rear tire will not have proper clearance with the rear of the frame.

It actually looks like several people have had a lot of trouble and headache trying to install these mounts.

A good thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these fab jobs that are being attempted end up in a poor and more importantly, unsafe state.

If you are attemping to do a motor swap, and you do not possess Numbers: 1,2,3, and 4 on your tools list, then you will be dead in the water to begin with.

I think the person looking for a bolt on shock mount will be someone who only wants to drill 4 holes and install 4 bolts that will be provided to them, and what wants the confidence of knowing that they are riding on something that isn't going to break. Also, if they ever want to go back to the original engine, there won't be multiple hours of griding out welds.

Install time for my mount would be approx 15 mins. Done deal.

Moving onto the motor mount you brought up. I am willing to make any part that any member needs done. If you have an idea of how that engine mount needs to look..Please let me know. I will do everything I can to make that happen. Are there some threads that deal with this...possibly some pics?

Thanks again for your feedback, that's exactly what I'm looking for. If it is indeed a waste of time, I want to know about it. If there are new parts that people are interested in, I want to know about it.

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

maybe this is just me...
i've always preferred the round headlights from the bikes across the pond. i have been contemplating fiberglassing a new cover and sticking one in...but the problem is, idk how i'd mount it.
now, this is just me...im positive no one else on here is going to go to all that effort just to have a round headlight, so...probably not something really marketable.
i remember reading dthat someone wanted a grab bar for their elite... thats probably something that you could have a wider market w/.
well, thats my last 2 cents, have to wait til payday to stop being broke. ;)
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Post by richdavison34 »

Thanks for the feedback plankton!

Send me a pic of how the headlight bracket needs to look.
im positive no one else on here is going to go to all that effort just to have a round headlight, so...probably not something really marketable
I'm not concerned with mass production, or mass profits. I just want to fabricate.
i remember reading dthat someone wanted a grab bar for their elite... thats probably something that you could have a wider market w/.
Pic....? Example.....? Like I said, I'm willing to make anything for any member.

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19149&p=163480&hili ... te#p163480

edit: the owner of the grab bar pictured above went on to say he wished he could get one for his aero in another thread.
and since you own an aero, this may be a perfect job for you.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

richdavison34 wrote:Thanks for the feeback traffic.
From what I can see in the threads no-one has dilled a hole straight through the frame and installed a bolt. It loos like the mounting position has to be below the fame, or your rear tire will not have proper clearance with the rear of the frame.

ImageImageImage

Here is a Spree/dio shock mount done with just a bolt and some washers. A small tack weld was done just to hold it in place.

A longer gy6 scooter shock (or an elite e shock) was used to make up the small difference of the mount location. :wink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
SpreeMadness520
Elite
Elite

Post by SpreeMadness520 »

The whole kit thing seems kinda sketchy to me :confused:
130cc Stroker
1984 Porsche 944
1965 Vespa
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

I WANT A SIDE STAND JUST LIKE THE ONE FIGHTING P HAS!!!!!!!!!!!
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Post by richdavison34 »

The whole kit thing seems kinda sketchy to me
Understandable, noone here has acutually seen a finished product from me, and I don't expect anyone to have full confidence in my design until it has been proven. Until the design is proven effective, I certainly don't plan on selling this to anyone.

All I mean by "kit" is that the mount would come with the bolts you need to mount it.
Here is a Spree/dio shock mount done with just a bolt and some washers. A small tack weld was done just to hold it in place.
Thanks for the pic traffic. Looks like that would work for it's intended purpose, but it still requires welding. No offence to the person who made that, but I wouldn't trust the structural integrity of a handfull of washers and a tack weld.

I'm definitely not out to convince you guys until this product is done and proven. I'm not going to be charging an arm and a leg for this either. I'm in it to help you guys out and have some fun fabbing some stuff, not to rob you guys.
I WANT A SIDE STAND JUST LIKE THE ONE FIGHTING P HAS!!!!!!!!!!!
I will begin the design process for a side stand this weekend.

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

I think he drilled through the frame and then just tac'd it so it wouldn't move. I don't trust putting the shock mount outside of the boxed frame unless it is reinforced. Which is why I uses 14" of 1/8" steel plate to reinforce mine and spread the force of the shock out over a bigger square area. But that's probably over kill. Whatever you plan on making, use strong stuff. I love 1/8" steel plate and grade 8 bolts. And with the welds you've shown I'd trust my neck on something you've made. Just find a way to mount it real solid.

Drilling through the frame just seems a bit sketchy to me, that frame is super thin stuff
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Post by richdavison34 »

Which is why I uses 14" of 1/8" steel plate to reinforce mine and spread the force of the shock out over a bigger square area. But that's probably over kill. Whatever you plan on making, use strong stuff. I love 1/8" steel plate and grade 8 bolts.
For sure!! I was actually thinking 3/16'' plate, and the bolts would definitely be grade 8.

The mount would be bolted to the frame halves (the pinched area where the top and bottom frame halves are pressed together), but would also be snugged up against the bottom of the frame as well. This would distribute the force across the strongest part of the frame.
And with the welds you've shown I'd trust my neck on something you've made.
Thanks man!! :smile: I actually went to welding school for 2 years, so I understand what it takes to make strong weld. 35 or 40mph is definitely not the place to be if something comes loose.

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.