Pink/Cream Spree

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Pink/Cream Spree

Post by lilredspree »

My mom has been bugging me to paint her spree for a while now. Here is a teaser while I let it cure for a few days before re installing the panels. Used a duplicolor adhesion promoter + lots of sanding. Everything seemed to adhere quite nicely.

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: Pink/Cream Spree

Post by zuphilius »

For being pink, it looks like a very good paint job.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
motormike

Post by motormike »

.....you tell me you are going to paint a scooter, I cringe a little.....you tell me you are going to paint a scooter pink, I gag big time......you tell me you are going to paint a scooter pink and cream, and you show me pix of a tasteful scheme, done in an AMAZING pink, with a dreamy cream, all with crisp lines.... I'm just a little dizzy right now...gonna be one purty fine mosheen, I tell you whut..... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

thanks guys. this was more or less practice before painting mine. her body panels were in pretty good condition. i sanded down what i could and called it good. mine on the other hand has random holes drilled in it in places and other things that need more body work. figured out how to paint em well. now gotta figure out how i want to do my patching.
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

Well here it is in crappy garage lighting. I'll take better pics once its nice outside if that happens again before next summer.
Its not quite put together in the first pic but i wanted to show the paint on the inside of the front plastics and up the head unit.

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Nice!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Very nice. Now you just got to be careful not to scratch it. I painted mine and did everything humanly possible to get good adhesion, but after being in my packed garage for 4 years along with going in and out of the back of trucks. The paint looks like *. At least its still stuck on where it hasn't been scratched off.
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

I did a test panel (actually a left over piece from my af18 spree that I hacked off). Took quite the effort to scratch through all the way down to the red. Could also bend the panel to a 90 degree angle and it wouldnt crack. Hopefully it lasts. If it gets screwed up over the next few years I'll sand it down for her and do a different color scheme!

Thanks for the compliments!
mopro logan
Spree
Spree

Post by mopro logan »

Nice :2thumbs: looks good.
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

mopro logan wrote:Nice :2thumbs: looks good.
Nice job man!
I got an old Honda Elite 50 scooter when I purchased my house, it's been sitting for years and I am finally getting around to trying to make it run....
Unfortunately the thing looks like *! The color is very faded, mine's a '87 and seems to be some kind of purple color that has faded to look almost pink to me. I wanted to paint it but I was afraid the paint wouldn't stick and it would end up looking worse...
I would be interested in any details you would like to share about your method. Type of paint, any surface prep or wash you did before you painted etc??? If I get this thing running some color needs to go on it quick!
Also, my seat is the ugly faded purple color, would much prefer black. Do you know of any product that can dye the seat black? (and not your paints after a ride!)
Thanks....
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Wow, I'm impressed with how well that turned out. Good job!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Very nice. Even though I would never be caught riding it, Very nice. :smile:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

Night Cruiser-

My method consists of:
a lot of sanding. Started with 150 grit on the spots that had deep gouges to smooth them out. Also had to work out a good 10 stickers that were backed into the panels. Took some thinner and muscle to get those out. Then 220 on everything until very smooth, but enough bite for the paint.
Clean very very very well with soap and water.
I used an adhesion promoter by duplicolor. 2 coats.
Then one thin coat of plastic primer within 3 min of the 2nd adhesion promoter coating. About 1 hour of dry time.
Then started my colors. At this point it will work if you dont use plastic specific paints. The entire thing got sprayed 2 coats of creme, then dry over night, tape off and parts in the mornin and sprayed 2 coats of pink (if an entire panel was pink i skipped the creme). Make sure you wipe down the pannels before spraying anything if you have let them sit for a while.
Next was 3 coats of clear.
Then let it sit untouched for 3 days.

The hardest thing was the floorboard. I sanded as much as I could between all the ridges. Hopefully it sticks for a long time to come!
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

lilredspree wrote: The hardest thing was the floorboard. I sanded as much as I could between all the ridges. Hopefully it sticks for a long time to come!

I just covered mine with a piece of diamond plate
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

PimpinSpree wrote:
lilredspree wrote: The hardest thing was the floorboard. I sanded as much as I could between all the ridges. Hopefully it sticks for a long time to come!

I just covered mine with a piece of diamond plate
I was thinking of doing that or doing some grip tape on thin sheetmetal. If it starts chipping I'll cover, if not I'll leave it.