89 Elite R - my first build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

89eliteR
Spree
Spree

89 Elite R - my first build

Post by 89eliteR »

Howdy Folks, on Sept 30th my MVI was up, and instead of getting it re inspected for the road to another month or so I decided to bring my bike in early so I can start tearing it down and get some ideas how I want to go about it. Now some background information - I'm a total newbie, but I do have a decent understanding of how the 2 stroke works. The reason I picked up this bike as a opposed to a new one, was so I could tinker and build something that is my own (and obviously learn allot along the way). :newb:

First Off I guess Ill list some specs, well what I know anyways, its a 1989 Honda Elite R SE50.

My first question I guess circles around the whole SE50 its self. I do wish to order a variety of parts, I just need to know what is compatible, and whats not? Are there any other models of the 50cc that share the same parts or specs?

As far as upgrade, I do want to invest into a BBK, maybe a carb, variator etc, but when I'm browsing the internetz and ebay, I get caught up in thinking if its going to be compatible or not.

I guess my next question, My shocks are ugly. They are rusty/crusty. I would like to either replace or rejuvenate them. They work well, but are an eye sore

Is there a way to clean these up/ give them a face life?

Next I have the clutch cover. Now, after removing all the bolts, its stuck on, and its on there good. I am confident I have all the bolts out, but it will not budge. I also noticed a nice hole in the bottom of it

On the clutch cover, there's lots of dirt and gunk around the carb area, I also noticed when I took off my air filter there was a lot of oil by the carb

also got a fair amount of oil around the plug

And of course, It wouldn't be a Nova Scotia vehicle without some rust:

Now I am all over the place here, but I guess my first goal is just getting it stripped down to the frame, so I can sand and paint, and have it all shiny and new and build off it. For over all look, I have no idea where I want to go. The body panels have chips and dings and cracks, but not beyond repair. My original though, well its not original at all I want to almost run a 1/2 naked bike like the one 66six built seemingly with ease found here

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20275

Of course, I am in love with the look of this fully naked beast,

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18732

Now the challenges of going fully naked, is I need all of my electrical for it to be road worthy, all blinkers, horn etc, so I will need to be crafty with hiding/ dressing up all the wires.

I'm going to work on it some more this evening, and on my way to the frame, and removing all the parts, anything in particular I should watch out for?
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Re: 89 Elite R - my first build

Post by 89eliteR »

Ok, one more question about the whole SE50 thing. Where I have a Canadian se50, which is a 89, according to this page - http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/ ... eSE50.html my motor is the same as the pre 94 SA50. If this is the case, would I be safe getting SA50 aftermarket parts as well?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

An enviable scooter. Welcome.

Inspection of the AF code stamped on your Elite's transmission cover will probably reveal AF 05 E. If so, you're talking the AERO/Early Elite generation. Around here "SA" usually refers to the post-'94 AF 16E block, which is quite different from the AF05 in several ways. Cranks, cylinders, Intake, transmission are all different and incompatible. Variators and belts and clutches do swap.

When ordering parts, lots of folks still call your 05 block the SE50. I prefer SE/05.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

An enviable scooter. Welcome.

Inspection of the AF code stamped on your Elite's transmission cover will probably reveal AF 05 E. If so, you're talking the AERO/Early Elite generation. Around here "SA" usually refers to the post-'94 AF 16E block, which is quite different from the AF05 in several ways. Cranks, cylinders, Intake, transmission are all different and incompatible. Variators and belts and clutches do swap.

When ordering parts, lots of folks still call your 05 block the SE50. I prefer SE/05.

So that brings me to my delima the clutch cover will not come off. All the bolts are out, but the thing will not budge. I did not want to wale on it or anything. Not sure if the previous owner sealed it with something or not.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

thay seem to do that with time.. there is a spot buy the starter you can put a what ever and tap on it to help .. im looking at my af05 motor setting right here but i have never taken one apart..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

swimmingfree wrote:thay seem to do that with time.. there is a spot buy the starter you can put a what ever and tap on it to help .. im looking at my af05 motor setting right here but i have never taken one apart..
swimmingfree
When I was inspecting it last night I did notice a tab. Ill try it out and post some more progress pics.

thanks
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20902

read that post will help give you some ideas on how to get that cover off. to fill in that hole you can use some jb weld then sand smooth or leave it open unless you live in a dusty area like me.
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

old gaskets seal the surfaces together over time. Only way that seems to work is beating a pry bar in between the two surfaces, but you must be very careful since cast aluminum will break. Thats probably where that hole came from. Start off trying to get a knife or something else very thin in there.
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Mystic wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20902

read that post will help give you some ideas on how to get that cover off. to fill in that hole you can use some jb weld then sand smooth or leave it open unless you live in a dusty area like me.

Thanks. I contemplated cutting it in half so the clutch is exposed. My area is not too dusty, but when I drive to work I cover a fair amount of distance, About 50km both ways, so I don't know if it would be good for long haul wear and tear.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

More than half of the tuned 16 engines here run with the back half removed. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, and keeps the clutch a whole lot cooler.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Well I got some more work done last night. Got the carb and gas tank off.

The carb is really dirty and gummed up so this will need a good cleaning, even though im going to replace it.

Here is my 2 month old plug, but looks pretty burnt

Now this electrical component that goes in the carb, what is the name of it, looks important

And since that s*** looked important, safety first

Now my next mission is to remove the motor and drive train, but I see a bunch of wires, I can only assume its connecting to the Oil pump

Now i know one of the cables links to the throttle, but the other wires I'm having trouble where I should disconnect them where it does not have handy quick disconnects like the fuel tank.

Here is another angle

So that is where I am at now. 99% sure Im ordering a BBK next week, but we will see how it goes in the mean time. Stay tuned!
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

that thing is a bystater its is the chock the brake cable to the back need to be taken off as well the at the wheel.. elect wire are color so that not a big deal at all .. the thins in last photo is oil pump luson nut and take off the cable .. the oil hose from the tank need to be remover as well oil will come out so been it up or plug it .. shock nut off and one more bolt and i thing your done ..
swimmingfree

no big deal
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

So last night while working some overtime from home :smile: I used the great carb cleaning guide from the wiki. Here are some shots

as you can see it was pretty dirty

but after some tedious cleaning it comes out looking new

89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

I had some free time today so I got ambitious and hauled the motor out.

and the clutch cover is a heluva lot easier to get off with the motor out. Still oozing with ambition i chopped it in half, strpped the black paint off it and did some light sanding. Its not 100% yet, there's still nooks and crannies that have the paint

So as far as the motor goes, where do I start as far as stripping it down? Also There seems to be a bolt by the clutch that says oil, so i think oil goes there :eyeroll:

Now should I change this oil, and If so what kind of oil?
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

How do I get the variator/drive pulley off? Same with the clutch. They both spin so how would I lock these?