89 Elite R - my first build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

bonesv

Re: 89 Elite R - my first build

Post by bonesv »

Hello again, and good to hear from you. You probably already heard this but what does the spark plug color read, on the lean side is dane-jur-us. I can send you the 102 jet or which ever one you don't have. Lean motors run extremely well for a short time, but then, well, just check the plug or purchase the temperature gauge. We love to hear good news. Cheers
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Howdy all.

Where we are getting great weather now I am looking to get the bike back on the road and get it safety inspected but I did notice a problem that will stop that from happening. My running light or low beam does not come on, only my high beam will work. could this be the bulb or some other electrical issue? I know the battery is not the best but I would still think once it is running it would come on. any ideas?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The headlight runs off of the stator. Pull the headlight to check it and probably replace it.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Low beam is usually the one to burn out because it is used all of the time.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

I was contemplating switching to a universal headset that they have at the local bike shop, but not sure how well everything will mate up. I might just replace the light. probably would be the easiest.I just want to get on the road at this point. :peace:
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

You can use a propane torch to heat up the solder around the bulb and twist with a pair of pliers to take it out, once you have the end free of the headlight housing you have to bust the bulb to get it out then make your own mount to install a different kind of bulb
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Mystic wrote:You can use a propane torch to heat up the solder around the bulb and twist with a pair of pliers to take it out, once you have the end free of the headlight housing you have to bust the bulb to get it out then make your own mount to install a different kind of bulb
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

hhahah i know it sounds crazy but the headlights on these where made as one piece, you cant just replace the bulb you have to replace the entire thing.
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

Mystic right i done to my qt50 becase its 6v ... the hard part is finding a brite anuff bulb ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

I think im just going to grab the lens.
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

So I got some more test runs in today, but unfourtanatly I have had bad results. I switched my main jet from a 95, to a 105. I have the screw on the carb set to 1-1/4 turns out and was runing decent for the majority of the day. I topped it off with gas, mixing the fuel 32:1. I took if for another ride and while I'm going at a fair speed is suddendly dies on me. There were no violent noises, but it would not start back up. It does sputter to a certain extent when I try the kick start, but will not fire up. I'm waiting on a compression tester to see if the motor is toast or not. It doesent seem seized at all, because it does try to start. If anyone has any ideas I am open to them. Thanks.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

89eliteR wrote:So I got some more test runs in today, but unfourtanatly I have had bad results. I switched my main jet from a 95, to a 105. I have the screw on the carb set to 1-1/4 turns out and was runing decent for the majority of the day. I topped it off with gas, mixing the fuel 32:1. I took if for another ride and while I'm going at a fair speed is suddendly dies on me. There were no violent noises, but it would not start back up. It does sputter to a certain extent when I try the kick start, but will not fire up. I'm waiting on a compression tester to see if the motor is toast or not. It doesent seem seized at all, because it does try to start. If anyone has any ideas I am open to them. Thanks.
Check the spark plug for fouling. Is the tip really dark and wet? Brown and dry? or Gray and dry? What is the # plug you are running? Really need to be using a temp gauge for this.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

89eliteR wrote:How do I get the variator/drive pulley off? Same with the clutch. They both spin so how would I lock these?

Use a impact. A 3/8 or a 1/2'' impact will make that look easy. *lefty loosey*
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Well the bike fried back up last night after a let it sit for a few hours. I did not take it for a drive or anything, more just hoping it starts. The plug I am ruining the the recommended one in the wiki of this site. I will check the spark plug tonight and post some pictures of it.

On a side note If I could guess could this be a case of getting too much fuel? Orginally the carb came with a 102 jet, I found it ran best with the 95, then yesterday I switched it to the 105. When I did make the change I did notice the fuel go through the lines much more than with the 95 jet.
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Had a good test run today. Got about a solid 30 minutes of driving. Using the 102 jet with about 1 and 1/2 turns for the adjust screw. It did bog out a little bit on the way home, which was a slight incline and the gas was getting low. I'm going to top it off and observe the performance some more. There's a new plug in it where I think I fowled the old one from runing it too rich. Overally works good besides the bogging at the end of the drive.