Building 2 Big Bore Spree's

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

daddyrat
Noob
Noob

Building 2 Big Bore Spree's

Post by daddyrat »

Hello, I have been lurking on this site for a while with an interest in a new hobby with my soon to be 15 year old son. I thought that running around town, or on vacations on scooters might be a fun thing for us to do. I have always admired the Spree's from way back but never persued the interest. I noticed parts are still available online although the resale used parts seem fairly expensive. I than noticed Taz's big bore kits on Ebay, the thought of modding them really peaked my interest. I have read many others say to just upgrade to new motors but I figure we will only ride these scooters together, so we won't know any better of what we are missing. I started watching for Spree's on Craigs list.

I found a guy selling 2 1986 Spree's. The red one was in great shape, the black one was a dirty, greasy, broken, mess. This picture was taken after the first day of cleaning them up.

I want to make the 2 Spree's look identical so I started searching for a set of red plastic to replace the black. I found a local parts resaler who had a set and a few other pieces that I needed for the black one. I got the parts and ordered 2 big bore kits from Taz. I hacked the rear panel to fit the intake and cut off the rear of the front fender for a different look. I also ordered some die cut stickers to cover up the rattle can paint on the cut side panel. I now have spent the last 3 weekends working in the garage making the black Spree into a Stage 3, Big Bore, Red Spree.

It will be a shame to hack up the nice plastic on the original red Spree, oh well...

This project has been fun, but I am ready for a break from all the wrenching. I will tear into the red one soon and will update.
CNI Dawg
Spree
Spree

Re: Building 2 Big Bore Spree's

Post by CNI Dawg »

Looking really good !!!
61Aand Still Having Fun !
Keeping the Dream Alive ! :)

01 Elite 50SR
'85 Spree
CMRA #77 MCE, '03 CBR600RR - Dark Horse Racing
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

That side panel looks sweet with the carb showin :thumbwink:

Taz
daddyrat
Noob
Noob

Post by daddyrat »

Thanks guys, I spent alot of time wondering what I was going to do with that left side panel. I didn't think that the carb and intake would fit under the cover. The right side panel on the other side is in pretty rough shape.. I rubbed it out and used touch up paint.

I guess I am going to keep the stock exhaust and keep it quiet. I would like to come up with some sort of heat shield for it. I thought about tracing out the stock cover on some aluminum stock and than polishing it.

Thanks for the offer graphite but I think I will hang onto the nice panel myself.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

looks grate ...
hope you tell us what your top speed is when you get then out on the road .
swimmingfree
ps
i would make mine faster then the kids,,,
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

in4results

i'm about to put the same kit on mine. just need to cut the head, and finish porting
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
daddyrat
Noob
Noob

Post by daddyrat »

I have been working since the last post on the original red Spree. I completely tore the thing down and cleaned it. I installed the three stages and finished putting it back together tonight. I still need to get the Michigan moped registration stickers so I haven't rode them yet . I have spent every weekend since January working on these scooters. I just need to fill the gear box's and fill the gas tanks with premix.

motormike

Post by motormike »

Now that's a sticker....WWW.HONDASPREE.NET.......who would have ever thunk...... :hi:
Kudos for the pair....wondering how much did your son participate with the work.... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

motormike wrote:Now that's a sticker....WWW.HONDASPREE.NET.......who would have ever thunk...... :hi:
:thumbwink:

eagerly awaiting mine.
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

Are you still using stock cutch springs? .. I wonder how much the stock pipe hurts the performance of the kit. Nice builds :-)
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

you have done an excellent job with the 'greasy broken mess'
the transformation is quite amazing. kudos to you, sir daddyrat :worship:
Last edited by Dio89Elite on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

daddyrat wrote:I guess I am going to keep the stock exhaust and keep it quiet. I would like to come up with some sort of heat shield for it. I thought about tracing out the stock cover on some aluminum stock and than polishing it.
just a thought on the heat shield; is there enough plastic material to fit on top of your aluminum stock?
You'd have matching paint. :) (or was this a bad idea? :shock: unsure of what heat tolerance those same plastics will be able to take when it's that close to the exhaust :nervous:).
daddyrat
Noob
Noob

Post by daddyrat »

Pineapplegti wrote:Are you still using stock cutch springs? .. I wonder how much the stock pipe hurts the performance of the kit. Nice builds :-)
Thanks Pineapple, I am using the stock clutch springs, I guess I didn't even think about them. I can imagine that the stock pipes are terrible for performance. I generally pipe everything I own but pay the price with noise, usually out in the woods though. Anyway, I am not sure how my little town is going to accept these bikes running around, the quieter the better for now.

I read somewhere that Taz had been working on a expansion chamber pipe to release. That would be tempting.
daddyrat
Noob
Noob

Post by daddyrat »

Dio89Elite wrote:
daddyrat wrote:I guess I am going to keep the stock exhaust and keep it quiet. I would like to come up with some sort of heat shield for it. I thought about tracing out the stock cover on some aluminum stock and than polishing it.
just a thought on the heat shield; is there enough plastic material to fit on top of your aluminum stock?
You'd have matching paint. :) (or was this a bad idea? :shock: unsure of what heat tolerance those same plastics will be able to take when it's that close to the exhaust :nervous:).
Thanks Dio89Elite, I guess what I had in mind was to make a "shiny" heat shield for the stock exhaust. I found a piece of aluminum in my garage that I could make 2 shields out of. A little bit of polishing and it could almost look like chrome. :thumbwink:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Those look very nice. :surprise:

taz