1984 Spree Iowa Rebuild - White wheel added

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

two4one
Goped
Goped

1984 Spree Iowa Rebuild - White wheel added

Post by two4one »

I haven't shared this build on the site yet so I figured I would not that I'm getting pretty close to completion.

I picked up this Iowa in what I would call rough shape. It ran but not well. I ended up swapping in a cylinder and piston from another spree that had 52 miles on it. Of course I cleaned the carbs and also had to treat the gas tank as it was coated in rust. Fresh fuel lines, filter, blah blah blah. I blasted the frame and wheels and matched up the paint as best I could. I also cleaned up the motor and put some new tires on it.

I originally wanted to redo it exactly as it was off the line but I just couldn't help myself. I made some changes here and there including the fork color, the belt cover and did the floor piece in black instead of white. I also decided to make custom decals for the sides and front to match my scheme.

As of now I'm waiting for new grips, mirrors and I have to address the rear luggage rack. It's in pretty bad shape so I'll have to have it chromed or something else. I'm happy with the way it's coming out.

Here's how it looked when I got it.

Current state:

I have a bunch of photos located at http://www.motorcyclesymmetry.com/proje ... -iowa.html if you're interested in seeing more before/during shots.
Last edited by two4one on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvanpatter
Noob
Noob

Re: 1984 Spree Iowa Rebuild

Post by mvanpatter »

Looks great! Good work!
mvanpatter
Noob
Noob

Post by mvanpatter »

What kind of paint did you use for the floor piece, since it will get so much wear and tear?
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

mvanpatter wrote:What kind of paint did you use for the floor piece, since it will get so much wear and tear?
I used a Krylon plastic paint on the floor followed by several thick coats of clear. I used it on my last Spree also and it has held up as well as can be expected. Anything short of a ding or something on the severe side it holds up fine. I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 miles on the other one without issue.

**one note, I did go through the process of thoroughly cleaning and scuffing the floor piece before painting.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

For paint in a spray can the Krylon Fusion works really well, looks good, and holds up without peeling really well. Mine has been painted for over a year and it still looks like i painted it recently
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

I think I just might have picked out my color scheme, looks very nice!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

zuphilius wrote:I think I just might have picked out my color scheme, looks very nice!
Well in all honesty, I think I might change the wheel color. I'm typically a fan of high contrast and with the wheels the way they are, they get lost in the "back". I'm thinking either white or a gunmetal gray.

Whataya' think?
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

White. Most definatly.
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

With a polished lip? Hmmm...
two4one
Goped
Goped

Re: 1984 Spree Iowa Rebuild - White wheel added

Post by two4one »

Well I decided to give the white with a polished lip idea a try. I only managed to get the front wheel done so far but this more than shows what the final product will look like. Obviously it takes more time to polish the lips than to simply spray the whole wheel.

So whataya' think? This ped is sure a contrast to the other one I did. This one looks hoighty-toighty compared to the other one :smile:

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Very nice! I like it.
goreyboggs
Goped
Goped

Post by goreyboggs »

Did you paint the whole spree with the fusion paint? Also what kind of clear did you use?

Jeff
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

goreyboggs wrote:Did you paint the whole spree with the fusion paint? Also what kind of clear did you use?

Jeff
Yes I use the Krylon Fusion paint on any small plastic paint projects. I have it down to a science and it looks like auto paint when I'm done. I do spray auto paint for certain projects but for this and even race plastic it's not worth it.

I do three coats of the paint followed by three coats of Fusion clear. The last coat being VERY thick. I then sand it with anywhere from 600-2000 grit wet before buffing with compound, polishing and then wax. Pretty standard process.

Side note, I use DupliColor for small metal parts. Just found it to be better for metal applications.
two4one
Goped
Goped

Re: 1984 Spree Iowa Rebuild - 98% done

Post by two4one »

Allllmost done. Just need to install the new seat cover with white piping and this sucker is finished. Not real happy with the photos but oh well...

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Very nice! Good job on the wheels!