'87 Aero 50 Mild Performance Resto

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

TypeRated
Noob
Noob

'87 Aero 50 Mild Performance Resto

Post by TypeRated »

I figured it's time to start a build thread on my scoot since I decided to go ahead and strip it down to the frame. Here she was as purchased. It ran, but I could only manage 27mph out of it :*:

Yesterday, I got frustrated by all the grime and dirt, so I decided to pull it apart and do this properly.

Today, I pulled some more stuff off, cleaned & painted the rear half of the frame, & re-wrapped the harness. I'm going to wait on painting the front half of the frame until the engine is back on.
Shiny :2thumbs:

I have a few parts in transit to me as I type:
Polini 2k green clutch springs
1.5k clutch torque spring
Ruckus variator & rollers
OEM Honda drive belt
Pocket bike exhaust
A few new (to me) plastics
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Re: '87 Aero 50 Mild Performance Resto

Post by z50r-ghost »

Wow! Black frame... I really like that!

Great work so far man; I'm looking forward to following your build. The parts you have on order will definitely help your acceleration and top speed.

I've been in love :love: with the 2nd gen Honda Aero 50 since I first saw one around 1986. I can remember it like yesterday; that shiny black body, bright "spark" red seat, and then watching it zoom off out of sight in my neighborhood... and I was only 6 years old! I remember always watching for it when I thought I heard a scooter, but when I really fell in love is when I saw all 3 color versions side by side at the Honda dealer. -I brought home the brochure read it a thousand times!

-j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

The nb-50 has few performance parts offered plus it runs hot with a bore kit, i did the sa-50p swap then i went wild with my aero.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

True enough the parts are harder to find, but I don't agree that a Big-Block AF05 must run hot. The right parts - Malossi or Polini, LeoVince and a manifold/big carb conversion along with gears and tuning can make it reliable and pretty fast. There's more Satisfaction hunting down rare parts than punching a checklist of readily-available AF16 stuff anyway.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
TypeRated
Noob
Noob

Post by TypeRated »

z50r-ghost wrote:Wow! Black frame... I really like that!

Great work so far man; I'm looking forward to following your build. The parts you have on order will definitely help your acceleration and top speed.

I've been in love :love: with the 2nd gen Honda Aero 50 since I first saw one around 1986. I can remember it like yesterday; that shiny black body, bright "spark" red seat, and then watching it zoom off out of sight in my neighborhood... and I was only 6 years old! I remember always watching for it when I thought I heard a scooter, but when I really fell in love is when I saw all 3 color versions side by side at the Honda dealer. -I brought home the brochure read it a thousand times!

-j
Thanks man! I just couldn't keep the silver. The engine is getting the same treatment as well. Cool story too. I wish I could remember ever seeing any of 'em, but where I grew up, I never saw hardly any scoots at all.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

True enough the parts are harder to find, but I don't agree that a Big-Block AF05 must run hot. The right parts - Malossi or Polini, LeoVince and a manifold/big carb conversion along with gears and tuning can make it reliable and pretty fast. There's more Satisfaction hunting down rare parts than punching a checklist of readily-available AF16 stuff anyway.
I could go ahead and do a swap, but I agree... where's the fun in that. I decided to see what I can squeeze out of the stock bore AF05. Speaking of, I'm having a hard time finding main jets for this carb. Should I go that route or just spring for a bigger carb/intake? What would you guys recommend?

Oh, also a small update. I finally had some time to start cleaning/disassembling the engine. She's getting there. Also got some new parts in too. And on a side note, I scored a good deal on a '08 Ninja 250 today :woot:

What a mess...

A few new things from daywot and the TotalRuckus classifieds...
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

For your jets :
http://www.jbc-accessoires.fr/scooter-m ... 8567587872
Scroll down till "gicleur Gurtner/Keihin xx"
Gicleur = jet

Clic on the name of the jet and you'll get the applications.
Cheap.
And if they won't care to send to the USA...PM me.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Nice start to your build :2thumbs:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

OK it seems that i can now get a 7:7:1 gear ratio for the 85/87 aero along with other rare parts but i need to confirm these parts.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
honda.tact.guy
BMX
BMX

Post by honda.tact.guy »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

A very good point. Couldn't agree more! :smile:
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

are you going to do some porting work on the case??
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet