NQ50 Spree Engine Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Re: NQ50 Spree Engine Build

Post by Pineapplegti »

kingkamehameha wrote:This still wont get you past 35. Good luck!
How can one be "king" when he lives in an apartment.. Leave this guy alone. :drama:
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

Sometimes 35 is a big improvement. Sometimes it's enough.
That Elite of yours will never exceed 100, and you can't ride cross-Island, let alone cross-country. So WHAT?! Constructive comments are welcome.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings;

Sometimes 35 is a big improvement. Sometimes it's enough.
That Elite of yours will never exceed 100, and you can't ride cross-Island, let alone cross-country. So WHAT?! Constructive comments are welcome.
I dont own an elite and with the right gearing yes they can go over 100 if i had enought gas stations i could ride cross island and yeah rent is killer in hawaii 1500 a month for my apartment but everymorning i wake up with a nice view of the pacific
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'm happy for your Pacific view King, but you miss the point. YOUR opinion of what makes a project "worthwhile" isn't necessarily shared by others. Sorry I keep forgetting your Elite/Dio engine is in a Spree frame, but don't be a Buzzkill for those who choose to see what they can wring out of the righteous Spree AF05.

VR, learn about porting and see if the Spree can be opened up to raise RPM. See what compromise you can make with gearing. As careful as you are, I'm betting you'll see 40.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I'm happy for your Pacific view King, but you miss the point. YOUR opinion of what makes a project "worthwhile" isn't necessarily shared by others. Sorry I keep forgetting your Elite/Dio engine is in a Spree frame, but don't be a Buzzkill for those who choose to see what they can wring out of the righteous Spree AF05.

VR, learn about porting and see if the Spree can be opened up to raise RPM. See what compromise you can make with gearing. As careful as you are, I'm betting you'll see 40.
How much we betting?
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

I had to learn the hard way when it comes to porting. Bigger isnt always better. Its how clean you make it and how much turbulence your reducing. Yeah your manifold is bigger now but unless you make the surface even and get rid of those divets you left there then your just causing more turbulence to happen. Cleaner is always better than bigger
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Tyler VR wrote:Image
Doesn't look too bad. The idea is to take small amounts off at a time and always keep the tool moving. Don't try to take so much material off at one time, move from one side to the other on longer areas. That keeps things from getting wavy. Keep it up you will have a speed demon before you know it :-) and if you do have to start again those parts are easy and cheap. You'll get there, that is why you try stuff so you can have the enjoyment of learning and having done it your self. I'd get some stones or diamond bits and go to it. Here is what you are going for in the end ImageImageImageImage and remember, you want a cats tounge finish inside the intake tube.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by patthesoundguy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Taking a spree and making it go to 35 and have some usable tourqe up there makes all the difference in the world. It can be the difference from being usefull as daily transportation or not. Or useable period.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Here's what the stock intake window looks like, from the interior of the case too.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Opened it up a bit.

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Looks pretty good, you may need to work the right side a little, to make sure you get rid of the turbulance. Plop the the reed block in the hole with the reeds installed and simply push the reeds to the stopper and look through, and you will see exactly where you need to remove material and smooth the transitions. Itsnthe right side that has the flat area that needs transitioning that looks almost right on the money on your case but I'd check it. And you can take your reed stopper off and bend or down slightly in a vise and then reinstall it with the reeds and male sure it doesn't touch the case with a few thou clearance and you will get more flow out of the reeds.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Polished the inside of the case.

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

While polishing the inside of the cases looks cool its actually counterintuitive. You actually want a cats tongue texture on all of the fuel/air flow passages. You want smooth flow which is what you did my taking out causes of turbulence in the the intake tract, but not a shiny mirror like surface. When the surface is too shiny the fuel that is suspended in the airflow the fuel can separate into droplets on the walls and not easily dissipate into vapor again. This can take away from the efficiency of the motor as you get the best bang for your buck out of gas when it is in a vapor not droplets. Also vapor will find its way in to the cylinder a lot easier than droplets can. The place to polish is the exhaust port on your cylinder once you get it nice and clean, so carbon doesn't stick as well. Nice work just the same though :-) keep it up :-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Got the jug cleaned up and ready to start porting,

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That is one nice looking jug dude :-) that will be a joy to work on. I'm jealous I want a nice cylinder like that to port ;-) that won't take much to make it a winner :-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock